Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
NS Oscar leaking water from around portafilter
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar leaking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nes1909

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 5:09am
Subject: NS Oscar leaking water from around portafilter

Hello,

I have a 5 months old, unmodified NS Oscar. I'm now having this problem, where there's quite a large amount of water leaking around the portafilter. The leaking starts with some pressure, right before coffee starts dripping, and ends up with water dripping from the edges of the portafilter into the cup. The water seems to be clear.

I've had this same problem once before, but got it fixed by changing the gasket. However, this time it doesn't seem to work. I'm using a naked filter, and I'm also noticing some blind spots, which I haven't really had before.

Also, today I noticed for the first time that after closing the steam wand (as a part of the starting procedure), there was some water still dripping from the steam wand for about 20-30 seconds.

For the record, I did the backflush with some cleaner, about a week ago.

UPDATE:

Did a shot with lighter tamping, and the leaking was almost completely gone. Could tamping too hard cause the machine use more pressure, and therefore some of the pressure could leak between portafilter and gasket?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:23am
Subject: Re: NS Oscar leaking water from around portafilter

if you put the gasket in upside down they leak. flat side down the  ns up

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nes1909

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 11:13am

Coffeenoobie Said:

if you put the gasket in upside down they leak. flat side down the  ns up

Posted October 1, 2013 link

Yeah I put it NS/logo side up, so that's not the case this time.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 11:22am

NS gaskets seem much stiffer than the "soft" gaskets I've experienced since moving to my E61 machine. To get my PF to properly engage, I ALWAYS had to brace my arm against the Oscar's side and really crank it on there.

What kind of basket are you using? Are there any dents in the rim?
nes1909

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 11:32am

Markarian Said:

NS gaskets seem much stiffer than the "soft" gaskets I've experienced since moving to my E61 machine. To get my PF to properly engage, I ALWAYS had to brace my arm against the Oscar's side and really crank it on there.

What kind of basket are you using? Are there any dents in the rim?

I'm using a double shot basket, should be in an excellent condition without any dents etc.

But it might be just me not cranking it hard enough, since for that one shot I managed to get without leaking, I was really cranking it harder than usual, holding the machine in place with the other arm. I cranked the handle way over 90 degrees compared to front of the machine, when I usually leave it at about 90 degrees. Interesting though, that previously it has been working fine without cranking that much, this leaking thing only started few days ago.

Will try again in the morning.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 8:19pm

I will bet you a milk shake you have it in upside down.

Coffeenoobie

Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 11:02pm

nes1909 Said:

Could tamping too hard cause the machine use more pressure, and therefore some of the pressure could leak between portafilter and gasket?

This should never cause a leak at the gasket. The Oscar has what's called a Neplax valve (which you should never, ever mess with, or even look at funny) that is designed to open at 15.5 bar in the event the pump builds up more pressure during the brew cycle than the plumbing can handle. If your gasket is new, and installed correctly, it may have cracked and you could just have ended up with a dud. I know changing the gaskets on the Oscar is a pain, but you may just have to shell out another nine bucks and try again.

BTW, when you said a doubleshot basket, are you talking about something nice, like a VST or Strada, or the stock Simonelli baskets that are shaped like a cereal bowl? If the latter, you might want to look into something with a smoother finish, like the aforementioned VSTs.
nes1909

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 2:07am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I will bet you a milk shake you have it in upside down.

Well you just lost a milkshake :D I checked online for the correct way before inserting the new gasket, and yes I put it NS up :D

The solution was so simple, that I'm embarrassed to admit it: I just didn't crank the handle hard enough. For some reason I have to crank it a lot harder than what I've been doing earlier.
nes1909

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 2:09am

Markarian Said:

This should never cause a leak at the gasket. The Oscar has what's called a Neplax valve (which you should never, ever mess with, or even look at funny) that is designed to open at 15.5 bar in the event the pump builds up more pressure during the brew cycle than the plumbing can handle. If your gasket is new, and installed correctly, it may have cracked and you could just have ended up with a dud. I know changing the gaskets on the Oscar is a pain, but you may just have to shell out another nine bucks and try again.

BTW, when you said a doubleshot basket, are you talking about something nice, like a VST or Strada, or the stock Simonelli baskets that are shaped like a cereal bowl? If the latter, you might want to look into something with a smoother finish, like the aforementioned VSTs.

I only have the stock one :( Will look into those you mentioned, and order one :)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:18am

A new gasket needs a break in time and it is a bit more springy at first.  I am glad you figured it out, I was pretty sure it was something very simple and basic.

Coffeenoobie

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar leaking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444566011429)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+