Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
help me clean my saeco!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > help me clean my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:03pm
Subject: help me clean my saeco!

My parents bought a new super automatic and gave me their old saeco grand crema

This thing -> http://www.1st-line.com/images/saeco/GranCremaB.jpg

See the attached picture, the majority of the spray holes are clogged. Running descaler through it didnt help. There is a screw in the middle of the plate, if i undo that screw will the plate fall off so that i can clean it or is that screw attached to something that i will destroy if i remove it?

I already destroyed a 100 dollar grinder by removing the wrong screw in an attempt to fix it, dont want to continue with that success rate.

friendlyfoe: saeco.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:13pm
Subject: Re: help me clean my saeco!

friendlyfoe Said:

the majority of the spray holes are clogged. Running descaler through it didnt help. There is a screw in the middle of the plate, if i undo that screw will the plate fall off so that i can clean it or is that screw attached to something that i will destroy if i remove it?

I already destroyed a 100 dollar grinder by removing the wrong screw in an attempt to fix it, dont want to continue with that success rate.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

They're not clogged with calcium, descaler won't unclog them.  Yes, you can remove that screw and the screen. Yes, you can clean that screen (The product called Cafiza is an example of ) Trisodium Phosphate cleaners are for cleaning the hardened coffee oil out of these shower-face filters.

Ahh. The lower burr screw in a Capresso Infinity, right?  Yup, there's a spring-loaded clutch under that.  Doesn't last long if spun at the wrong tension.
Please don't try to fix my car.  (Sorry, I tease)
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:31pm

Yes the infinity! The bean hopper wasn't fully installed, allowed me to lock the machine in and then the hopper popped off, was trying to figure out how to get it back apart. Just needed to pop the cover off, but thats one way to learn how a coffee grinder works *fail*. That being said i also got high sided at the race track on my sport bike because the rear shock linkage came unbolted. There's a reason i dont work as a tech! lol

Back to my espresso maker.

Yeah well descaler was worth a shot :P. So should i be getting a back flush disc and some cleaner or removing the disc? idrinkcoffee.com is right around the corner from me, maybe i should just go visit them and put my tools away lol!

Also, is there any reason i shouldn't have run diluted clr through my machine?
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:47pm

oh dear, look what i found under the screen. So after i soak the screen in the type of solution you mentioned, is there anything i can do by the sprayer other than just wiping it off? looks like theres gunk pushed up all around the edge and a bit of residual on the actual sprayer.

friendlyfoe: saeco3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:51pm

this

friendlyfoe: saeco 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:51pm

and this, no idea how to post 3 pics

friendlyfoe: saeco1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 10:44pm

That rubber gasket does come out, but it's tricky. It looks okay at this point, but as long as you can get the gasket out without tearing it, it wouldn't hurt to finish the job.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 3:36am

friendlyfoe Said:

So should i be getting a back flush disc and some cleaner or removing the disc? idrinkcoffee.com is right around the corner from me, maybe i should just go visit them and put my tools away lol!

Also, is there any reason i shouldn't have run diluted clr through my machine?

Posted September 29, 2013 link

I don't think running the dilute CLR through will have hurt anything. Possibly helped descale inside the boiler a bit.

As for the backflush disk, that will only be a useful tool on a machine with a three-way valve controlling flow to and from the grouphead.   Just soaking that screen in hot water with Cafiza, or any good cleaner, will unclog it.  You can get a group cleaning brush and scrub the crud out from around the group head.  From your photos, it looks to me as if your machine has a valvolina type brew-valve, ie. just a check-valve holding the tater in the boiler when the pump isn't on. That little brass gland that the screen was screwed to holds back the spring that holds the valvolina, so the backflush-disk wouldn't work for your machine.
friendlyfoe

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 10:45am

Thanks for the input guys! As for taking the gasket off seeing as how i'm not sure how the gasket even installs, im thinking the odds of me destroying it are probably around 99%. I'm not sure it makes sense to try and remove it unless there is a really good reason to!

I bought a k3 touch grinder on my way home from idrinkcoffee.com (they're local to me) and he gave me a bit of cleaner. I took the basket out of the porta-filter and i'm not even sure how water was still coming out of this machine, i couldn't see through a single hole in the basket. So i took a pin and poked out all of the holes in the basket and screen, it's sitting in solution now and should be good to go for tomorrow.

My mom was telling me that the machine is about 15 years old so if it can still produce reasonably good espresso i will be very happy! As much as i drool over the fancy boiler machines if i'm honest with myself i think a coil machine is more suitable for my needs. I'm up between 4-5 am and want to be able to turn the power on, make a long double shot for an americano in my travel mug and shut the machine off. One day i may invest in a proper boiler setup but i would probably still keep this one for brewing a quick shot when i just want coffee NOW.

EDIT: then again, he was also saying very good things about this machine Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com)

This should still be way better then press coffee!
friendlyfoe

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 6:21pm

UPDATE:
So i cleaned the screen, cleaned the basket in the porta filter. Question, if i runt he machine without the porta filter but the upper screen installed should the water not more or less spray out of all holes equally? I get like 5% of the holes spraying and water dribbling out of the rest. Or is the filter required to build pressure? I think something is wrong with the sprayer....
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > help me clean my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430186033249)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+