Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 125 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 9:37am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Tony, I believe you mean 9bar instead of psi, no??  That amount of psi would be sooooooo tiny!  LOL!

Tonyv138 Said:

a follow up on pump pressure.... Mine does the following:

-Blind filter - 10psi
-Just water running through portafilter- 9.0psi
-Portafilter loaded with coffe - 9.5 and extracting, seems to be extracting properly

am i grinding too fine? or better yet, is there a way to check the pump pressure without expensive tools?thanks

Posted September 27, 2013 link

View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 10:16am

Tonyv138 Said:

a follow up on pump pressure.... Mine does the following:

-Blind filter - 10psi
-Just water running through portafilter- 9.0psi
-Portafilter loaded with coffe - 9.5 and extracting, seems to be extracting properly

am i grinding too fine? or better yet, is there a way to check the pump pressure without expensive tools?

thanks

With a blind filter does it rise, hold at 9 bar for a bit then gradually start rising again....see the other guys video above?
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 1:47pm

sorry my bad - par, not psi

Just run the test, climbs to 9bar, holds momentarly, climbs to 10bar, and stays steady @10bar. I guess this is normal, right?

Another observation: there is a steady flow of water drops into the tray (i want to say 30sec apart), i guess this is from the safety valve. Is this normal? This is far more pronounced when i use the blind filter. When machine is left alone heated up, it appears that the dripping slows downsignificantly to perhaps 1 drop/min.

My PID shows the temp of the pressure boiler to be 255F and pressure between 1.3 and @1.4bar
DavecUK

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 4:46pm

Tonyv138 Said:

sorry my bad - par, not psi

Just run the test, climbs to 9bar, holds momentarly, climbs to 10bar, and stays steady @10bar. I guess this is normal, right?

Another observation: there is a steady flow of water drops into the tray (i want to say 30sec apart), i guess this is from the safety valve. Is this normal? This is far more pronounced when i use the blind filter. When machine is left alone heated up, it appears that the dripping slows downsignificantly to perhaps 1 drop/min.

My PID shows the temp of the pressure boiler to be 255F and pressure between 1.3 and @1.4bar

It's an expansion valve, as the water is heated, it expands, this pressure is relieved at around 12 bar, causing dripping into the tray. Once hot and undisturbed, this dripping should slow down and stop. If when putting against a  blind filter there is a flow of water, then this valve is not set high enough, or your pump pressure is set too high (e.g. above 11 or 12 bar). If again it's just the odd drip...no problem. It's simple expansion of water.
Tonyv138

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 7:44pm

Dave, I adjusted the pump pressure to run with the blind filter @9bar. Now it stops momentarly at just above 8bar and climbs to 9bar and sits there. After I lower the grouphead handle, i see water dripping into the tray at a fairly high rate, i'd say faster than a drop/sec, then it slows down. Meanwhile the pressure climbs up to 10bar. Then as the machine is sitting hot, the pressure was dropping, but the dripping continued at a rate of 1 drop/min.

Is this normal?

How does one adjust this valve anyways?

Another note, i had to tighten up the grind to get ~30 sec @9bar.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 3:58am

Tonyv138 Said:

Dave, I adjusted the pump pressure to run with the blind filter @9bar. Now it stops momentarly at just above 8bar and climbs to 9bar and sits there. After I lower the grouphead handle, i see water dripping into the tray at a fairly high rate, i'd say faster than a drop/sec, then it slows down. Meanwhile the pressure climbs up to 10bar. Then as the machine is sitting hot, the pressure was dropping, but the dripping continued at a rate of 1 drop/min.

Is this normal?

How does one adjust this valve anyways?

Another note, i had to tighten up the grind to get ~30 sec @9bar.

Sounds as if you have now adjusted it incorrectly....try this:

With the machine cold, switch off the brew boiler F02=3. Then check your pressure and watch the expansion valve outlet to see what happens in the drip tray. During the pull against a blind filter then after. Report back your observations.
Tonyv138

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 5:21am

with f02=3
- a first pull with blind filter - 2 or 3 drops of water into the tray, subsequent pulls, no water. Pressure istis just above 9 bars
- with no filter, pressure rises just above 8 bar and sits there.
i do not think i saw any drops into the tray

back to f02=4, need coffee
DavecUK

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 9:50am

Tonyv138 Said:

with f02=3
- a first pull with blind filter - 2 or 3 drops of water into the tray, subsequent pulls, no water. Pressure istis just above 9 bars
- with no filter, pressure rises just above 8 bar and sits there.
i do not think i saw any drops into the tray

back to f02=4, need coffee

Posted September 28, 2013 link

With the machine cold and the brew boiler switched off, run against a blind filter and lower the pressure to 9 bar.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 9:56am

DavecUK Said:

With the machine cold and the brew boiler switched off, run against a blind filter and lower the pressure to 9 bar.

Posted September 28, 2013 link

I don't know a way to run the pump with the brew boiler turned off unless there is a way in the PID to just turn the brew boiler heater off or low enough it wont come on. The pump and the brew heating circuit are on the same power switch.
Tonyv138

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 10:20am

Dean: f02=3 turns off the boiler

Thanks Dave. Will do, and report again. I think the machine needs to cool off for multiple hours before room temp...
showing page 125 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435491085052)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+