Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need some coffee sage's advice on a machine.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need some coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 7:40am
Subject: Re: Need some coffee sage's advice on a machine.

Good news, bad news.  

First, the good news:
A single group commercial should suit you well.  

I knew you'd like the looks of the Elektra Sixties series.  The A3 is alas no more; but used is good if it's good with you.  One of the best things about the Elektras and the La Cimbali M21 is that they fit under standard counters.  If you have a place for your machine that's not under a counter, that's better still -- because it's nice to have access to the top -- as a warming tray and for access if and when a repair is needed.    

If your friend can get you a suitable single-group Astoria (probably Perla or Divina series) or Rio (don't know them) at a good price and you have the space for it -- they're nothing to sneer at either.  Same is true for lots of models and makes.  

Doesn't sound like there's much hurry, which is good.  You want to figure out whether you prefer a conical or flat bur grinder before narrowing down the choices still further.  Both types are good, but once you open your palate you'll find that you have a definite preference.  In a word, the flat burr signature is "rich," while the conical burr signature is "lively."    

The thing to do is start tasting lots of espresso.  If you know a good barista or if there's a good coffee bar in your neighborhood, the best thing to do is to buy a tutorial or take a class.,  You'll learn to taste as part of learning how to dial in temp and grind; and taste is everything.  If you thought you liked espresso before...  

The bad news:
Everything you've said about your espresso journey so far leads me to believe that you'll be roasting your own coffee in the not too distant future -- a couple of years at most.  That, my friend, is a rabbit hole if ever there was one.    

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:26am
Subject: Re: Need some coffee sage's advice on a machine.

OK, so along with "grinder first," let me chime in with some random thoughts . . .

I have had an Elektra T1 for nearly five years now, and I still love it as much as I did when I bought it.  Aside from routine maintenance, it's been virtually trouble free -- had to replace the pressurestat, and those do wear out eventually.

That said, if you can plumb in the machine to your water supply, you will never regret it.  I had a La Valentina prosumer pourover (reservoir) machine that I'd have to fill every day or two, and it quickly became a pain in the neck.  That machine is now in my office, and I replaced it with my Elektra.

A lot of people work on their own machines, though this depends upon how mechanically inclined you are . . . having a local guy for repairs is something to consider.  Only you know how comfortable you are with DIY.  But Astoria is a well-rearded, established brand, so I wouldn't worry about getting one.  On the other hand, it seems to me that not many people here have one in their homes, so I'm not sure how much direct experience you can draw upon down the road . . .

Mazzer grinds are built like a tank, and I wouldn't worry about buying one used . . . just get a new set of burrs to go with it.

Espresso Parts in Seattle and Espresso Part Source in LA are both good sources for parts should you need them.  For Elektra parts, should you go with that, I'd contact Stefano's Espresso Care in Oregon.

Like I said, just random thoughts while having a morning cappuccino . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: New Home Setup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need some coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330953121185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+