Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
4 hole tip on V2B... easy resolve issue
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 4 hole tip on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 6:46am
Subject: Re: 4 hole tip on V2B... easy resolve issue

Okay so my pouring skills still suck, but I took a picture anyway in hopes that you'll be able to see the size of the bubbles. The consistency was like that throughout the whole drink, which is what I'm after (rather than more airy at top, more hot-milkish at the bottom). Sorry with forum rules this was as big a picture as I could attach.

CarloM: mfoam2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 7:33am

going back to the pitcher photo...the one on the left looks remarkbly similar (ie, identical) to the Motta Europa.

For your artwork, it looks like you just need to pour a little slower.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CarloM

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 7:37am

emradguy Said:

going back to the pitcher photo...the one on the left looks remarkbly similar (ie, identical) to the Motta Europa.

For your artwork, it looks like you just need to pour a little slower.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

Thanks for the advice. It's tough to get good practice when you only pour two a day. I feel like inviting as many friends as I can over and making a ton of drinks back-to-back :D

And yes I believe the Rocket pitcher is simply a rebranded Motta pitcher.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:00am

CarloM Said:

Thanks for the advice. It's tough to get good practice when you only pour two a day. I feel like inviting as many friends as I can over and making a ton of drinks back-to-back :D

And yes I believe the Rocket pitcher is simply a rebranded Motta pitcher.

Yeah, the learning curve seems to drag on and on and on, when you only pour a couple of drinks a day.  You could do a soap bubble in water practice session...or as you said, have a little latte party with some friends. If you get yourself some decaf you can do a second session in the evening. I took a one day class at Klatch several years ago. I think Heather is doing milk only classes now (though the whole day class is excellent). We had 4 people go through 10 gallons of milk over about 2-3 hours.  It was a blast and my skills improved exponentially.  I ended up drinking waaaaay more spro than I should have that day (the morning was dedicated to the spro and the afternoon was dedicated to frothing).  About two years ago, I changed from a Silvia to a Duetto and had to relearn technique...ugh!  Fortunately, it didn't take nearly as long to get up the steepest part of the curve though.

Anyhow, you're lucky to be in LA, as you can get over to Klatch easier than I did (had to wait until I got lucky thery were offering a class when I happened to be flying out).  You can probably get a class from Handsome or one of the other biggies (as in high quality, not large chain) there too.

CarloM

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:14am

emradguy Said:

Yeah, the learning curve seems to drag on and on and on, when you only pour a couple of drinks a day.  You could do a soap bubble in water practice session...or as you said, have a little latte party with some friends. If you get yourself some decaf you can do a second session in the evening. I took a one day class at Klatch several years ago. I think Heather is doing milk only classes now (though the whole day class is excellent). We had 4 people go through 10 gallons of milk over about 2-3 hours.  It was a blast and my skills improved exponentially.  I ended up drinking waaaaay more spro than I should have that day (the morning was dedicated to the spro and the afternoon was dedicated to frothing).  About two years ago, I changed from a Silvia to a Duetto and had to relearn technique...ugh!  Fortunately, it didn't take nearly as long to get up the steepest part of the curve though.

Anyhow, you're lucky to be in LA, as you can get over to Klatch easier than I did (had to wait until I got lucky thery were offering a class when I happened to be flying out).  You can probably get a class from Handsome or one of the other biggies (as in high quality, not large chain) there too.

Klatch is a little far from me, about 50 miles to the closest one (I know, closer than you, but with LA traffic 50 miles can be 90-120 minutes). Handsome I've never been to but that is in downtown so traffic again can be a bear. I actually live fairly near the Venice Beach Intelly so I'll probably see what classes they offer there. One thing I have to think about is cost. If the classes are expensive, it may just be more cost effective for me to buy 2 gallons of milk and a pound of cheap beans and practice making drinks and just throwing the drinks away.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:23am

yeah, I know it's far.  I grew up in the SF Valley (left when I was 29).  The day I went I was out with my family visiting my parents (Tarzana) and attending my uncle's wedding (Chatsworth).  we drove up to Arrowhead for two days.  My wife and her mom and my son went to Riverside to visit friends and my father-inlaw and I went down to Upland for our class at Klatch, then had to drive back to Tarzana at 5pm on a Thursday.

CarloM

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:36am

Small update - the new pitcher is definitely helping. Was making a smaller drink late last night and went back to my 12oz pitcher with the new QM 4-hole tipe. Was able to get the swirl/roll but overall the foam integration wasn't as good as with the Rocket/Motta pitcher. Same milk, same routine of putting pitcher in freezer for about 10 minutes before steaming.

Oh one thing: the Rocket/Motta pitcher is much, much thicker than my standard pitcher. I think that allows it to hold the cold from the freezer longer than the other pitcher. Not that I keep the milk out long. I basically leave the pitcher in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then pour the milk in as my grinder is going, then put it on the counter while I level, tamp, and brew. The pitcher is on the counter for maybe 60-90 seconds. I'm going to guess that, while holding the colder temp longer helps, it's the wider bottom part that allows for better swirling/integration of bubbles.

Now that I'm getting pretty consistent microfoam, I really have to work on my pouring skills.
CarloM

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:03am

This morning's failed attempt. Again, the foam was good, the technique bad. But at least I'm getting closer. Still need to pour faster. Actually the other thing I think I may be doing wrong is I'm pouring almost exactly as much milk as I need. I try not to waste anything at home (I also grind exactly as much as I need so I waste very little grind when I level off). At the coffee houses that make great art I note that after they tamp and swirl the pitcher, sometimes they'll pour off some of the very top milkfoam before pouring into the cup, and there's quite a bit of milk left in the pitcher after they've poured. I wonder if my art is suffering because I'm literally running out of milk as I'm trying to create the art. Thoughts?

CarloM: foam2s.jpg
(Click for larger image)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:16am

I still think you're pouring too fast, and should slow it down.  Let's assume for a second you're using the Motta.  Hold the handle with your long, ring and small fingers.  Open your thumb and index fingers out to the sides, making a "C".  As you pour, let the pitcher rock gently and wide (ie, no fast wiggling) from side to side (thumb to index finger) as you pour slowly.

Are you using Scott Rao's technique, with the cup sitting still on the table, or do you hold the cup in your opposite hand and tilt it?

btw, you're art looks good, otherwise.  you seem to have good microfoam, and you're getting a good contrast along the leaflets.

CarloM

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:54am

Thanks! I just googled Scott Rao and found his 9 minute video. I'll watch and learn and practice some more. Like I said, it kind of sucks trying to learn making one drink every 12 hours. I really need to either organize a large getogether of my coffee drinking friends or just burn a pound of beans and two gallons of milk learning (just pains me to throw those drinks away, but it would kill me to drink it!) :D
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 4 hole tip on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415905952454)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+