Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
BrevilleBES900 can't get pressure above 7 bars
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > BrevilleBES900...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 2:00pm
Subject: Re: BrevilleBES900 can't get pressure above 7 bars

MAREC Said:

So I read the latest review I could find about the BrevilleBES900 and the gentleman had the same problem I have--he couldn't get his pressure above 7 bars. My two questions are, isn't there an OPV on this and couldn't I just try to adjust that to get the pressure up to 9 bars?

Posted September 28, 2013 link

What matters is the reason it can't get above 7 bars.  Does the pump stall?  What pressure does the pump stall at?  Is there decent flow at 6.75 bars, then pump stall before 7?  If so, then it's obvious that the pump is dying. If the pump is dying, on a newly sold refurb, then surely they'd fix it...

Or is the relief gushing full flow at less than 7 Bars? That's an obvious enough fix, no?

Any actual info at all?  WHY do you say it "Can't get pressure above 7 bars"?
 View Profile Link to this post
MAREC
MAREC
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BrevilleBES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:32pm

Thank you Metatron! I bought the Breville as a refurbished through SCG. I want to adjust the OPV myself but am afraid of voiding the "refurbished" warranty through SCG. Have you found that once adjusted the OPV stays put, or tends to wear out, up or down, in its adjustment over time?

And yes, I agree, everything about this machine is user friendly except getting crema and thick stage one espresso out of it at 7.5 bars. I am not rich and had to save up a long time for this machine and my grinder.

Sorry SStone, not a real engineer like person. So, when, at any grind, at any amount, whether gushing or dripping or not letting any fluid out at all, the pressure gauge will not go above sevenish bars (7 to 7.5). The machine will make its horrendous growling noise until the flow of espresso stops flowing. And I don't understand your question "Why do you say it Can't get pressure above 7 bars". Please be more detailed yourself. I can handle your brusque responses if I can just get this right, so brusque away, but please help me narrow this down!
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 2:13pm

MAREC Said:

Thank you Metatron! I bought the Breville as a refurbished through SCG. I want to adjust the OPV myself but am afraid of voiding the "refurbished" warranty through SCG. Have you found that once adjusted the OPV stays put, or tends to wear out, up or down, in its adjustment over time?

And yes, I agree, everything about this machine is user friendly except getting crema and thick stage one espresso out of it at 7.5 bars. I am not rich and had to save up a long time for this machine and my grinder.

Sorry SStone, not a real engineer like person. So, when, at any grind, at any amount, whether gushing or dripping or not letting any fluid out at all, the pressure gauge will not go above sevenish bars (7 to 7.5). The machine will make its horrendous growling noise until the flow of espresso stops flowing. And I don't understand your question "Why do you say it Can't get pressure above 7 bars". Please be more detailed yourself. I can handle your brusque responses if I can just get this right, so brusque away, but please help me narrow this down!

Posted September 30, 2013 link

To clarify - if you grind fine enough to choke the machine (few or no drips), does the pressure gauge peg at 7 bars steady? If that is the case, the OPV could be the problem. If you are reasonably handy you can adjust your own OPV in less than 10 minutes.
Instructions: http://nic.steve-tek.com/?page_id=180

EDIT: this video helps to visualize the process (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ582qm4PMU&noredirect=1)

If you decide to tackle it, feel free to ask questions here about it.
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 5:31pm

MAREC Said:

Posted September 30, 2013 link

I can't speak for everyone but certainly my OPV has remained rock solid for almost 2 years and 2800 shots. I have seen no posts on any of the forums of anyone having problems with OPV drift. The growling noise you refer to is likely the OPV cycling. Essentially, the OPV is a spring operated valve. As the pressure gets too high, the valve opens against the spring. When the pressure drops, the valve closes. The open/close cycle is probably causing the noise. The fact that the OPV is opening at 7 - 7.5 bar rather than 10 amplifies the noise. Vibe pumps run at 15 bar or so and rely on the OPV to reduce the pressure. Your OPV is running twice as hard as normal.

Really, SCG should fix the machine. I would contact them and ask if it OK for you to do the adjustment yourself or send it back and have them do it. So far, Breville has provided exemplary support for the BDB. As you bought refurbished from SCG, an authorized Breville dealer, I would expect no problems getting this solved.
MAREC
MAREC

Espresso: BrevilleBES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 12:02pm

Thank you! Thank you all! The detailed info has helped my understanding a LOT!. Metatron thank you specifically for your suggestions on getting SCG to fix this, or let me fix it. I, unfortunately, am getting ready to go out of town again for a week (I travel a lot), so I will get in touch with SCG but won't be able to do anything, ship or adjust, until I get back. Once I do get back and have more information on how this shakes out for me I will post for the benefit of others wanting to know the outcome. I know, I know, it's been said before, but you all really are such a boon to newbies like me, thanks for your time and knowledge! Till my next post.....Mare.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > BrevilleBES900...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387487888336)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+