Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
4 hole tip on V2B... easy resolve issue
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 4 hole tip on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 5:45am
Subject: Re: 4 hole tip on V2B... easy resolve issue

CarloM, I wasn't getting as good micro foam with the new 4 hole tip.  I am using the Espro 20 oz pitcher.   So I decided to switch back to the original 2 hole tip.  Wow, what a difference!  Amazing micro foam on my first attempt and managed some nice latte art!  It may be that the 4 hole steams too fast, atleast for me, anyways!  I will stick with the 2 hole for now . . . How is it going for you, so far?

CarloM Said:

Just got the 4-hole Quick Mill tip from Seattle Coffee Gear. Here's an image of all three tips, from left to right it's the QM 2-hole that came with the Vetrano, the 4-hole CCS, the 4-hole QM from SCG . Due to the camera angle the two QMs look different in size but they're roughly equal (I don't have calipers to measure down to the millimeter but they look the same to the naked eye). So the two 4-hole tips are not only very different in size (CCS vs QM/SCG), but despite being billed as both 9mm holes, the QM/SCG 4-hole tip look considerably smaller, and the angle of steam ejection is different. We'll see if this makes a difference.

Posted September 28, 2013 link

View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 11:47am

sharky Said:

CarloM, I wasn't getting as good micro foam with the new 4 hole tip.  I am using the Espro 20 oz pitcher.   So I decided to switch back to the original 2 hole tip.  Wow, what a difference!  Amazing micro foam on my first attempt and managed some nice latte art!  It may be that the 4 hole steams too fast, atleast for me, anyways!  I will stick with the 2 hole for now . . . How is it going for you, so far?

Posted October 3, 2013 link

Much better as well with the new 4-hole. I think the smaller holes make a big difference compared to the CCS tip. I know they both claim .9mm holes but just visibly looking at the holes the size difference is obvious. It's my latte art pouring skills that suck, but the microfoam is very similar to what I get at an espresso house with good latte art. So the issue now lies squarely with my pouring technique. I do find the new 16oz Motta pitcher (Rocket branded) I bought also helps get the swirl more easily than my generic 12oz pitcher when I use about 6-7oz of milk. Maybe it's the additional room at the bottom of the Motta/Rocket pitcher.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:41pm

Carlo, is the fit and finish of the 4 tip same as 2 hole tip? does the narrow part of the tip match the diameter of the steam tube of V2B? I am thinking to order one and want to make sure it is going to look like the machine was "born" with the tip in addition to making good micro foam.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 8:18pm

Well, because of this thread I ordered a bell shaped frothing pitcher. I used to make great froth with my CC1 with my old flat bottom pitcher, but it took forever.

I have had a few reasonable frothing successes, but most of my milk frothing is not been too good since I started using the V2B. The V2B is so fast compared to the CC1 that I think you have to be on your game with technique from the second you turn on the steam. JMO.
sharky
sharky

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 6:30am

Tonyv138 Said:

Carlo, is the fit and finish of the 4 tip same as 2 hole tip? does the narrow part of the tip match the diameter of the steam tube of V2B? I am thinking to order one and want to make sure it is going to look like the machine was "born" with the tip in addition to making good micro foam.

Posted October 3, 2013 link

Tony, I mentioned this to CCS, and was told that the 4 hole tip sent with our machine is an OEM Quickmill 4 hole tip.  It should not be any different than the one Seattle CG sells, since they purchase them from CCS!  However, I am finding that I am getting waaaaaay better micro foam & latte art since I switched back to the original 2 hole tip!  I am putting my Espro 20 oz pitcher in the fridge, using 3.25% homo milk, stretching the milk until about 100F,  and rolling until 150F.  The results have been amazing compared to my first attempts with the 4 hole tip!   I think I will stay with the 2 hole for now . . . it's working great!
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 7:40am

Tonyv138: The overall size and dimension of the SCG/QM 4-hole tip is identical to the 2-hole tip that came with the machine, which is overall considerably bigger than the 4-hole tip that CCS shipped as a replacement when QM shipped their machines with a 2-hole instead of a 4-hole. That said, there is a small bit of "fit and finish" difference in that the 2-hole that came with the Vetrano 2B is more "polished" than the 4-hole from SCG. Part of that could be age (the SCG site calls it the QM official 4-hole tip replacement for Andreja Premium which is an older machine). Part of it could be that QM changed their polishing process from the time SCG got this tip for the Premium to when the V2B came out. But I notice no degradation in quality so far and foam is excellent. As DeanOK says, you have to be on your game, but it's a bit more forgiving due to the smaller steam holes than the CCS tip. See my previous post in this thread, the 10th one so it's on the first page, to see the size difference. The camera angle skews it, I guarantee the two QM tips are identical in size even though it doesn't look it. The CCS tip is in the middle and is obviously smaller than both QMs. You can also see the tip on the left is a little more polished/reflective than the tip on the right.

Sharky: as I said to Tony, see my previous post in the first page for the picture. Now maybe QM did also make the 4-hole tip for CCS. I don't know. Maybe they made all three. All I can say is that I own the SCG 4-hole tip, the CCS 4-hole tip and the 2-hole tip that came with my V2B. The SCG and V2B tip are identical in overall size and hole thickness (to the naked eye). The only differences are 2 vs. 4 holes and the 4-hole SCG is less polished in looks. The CCS 4-hole tip is clearly smaller than the other tips overall, I'd say maybe 30% smaller. And to the naked eye, the holes in the CCS tip look bigger than the 2-hole V2B and 4-hole SCG tip. If QM made all three, I can't say.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 7:41am

Sharky,
the tips in the pictures are different. 4 hole from SCG seems to have smaller holes. I am using 2 hole tip rightnow, and still have to moderate pressure by not opening the steam knob to full... V2B is just too fast for me at this point. I must take training to harness the power of the force. :)

Next time I travel to Portlan OR will take some.
pShoe

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 3:25pm

I over stepped my skill level going right to the 4 hole tip. I used the 2 hole tip for the first time and things went better. I found it was slower and thus easier to control. It was easily the best milk I've steamed. It was very velvety. I'll be sticking to the 2 hole tip for a while, and order a QM 4 hole if I think I can handle the faster steam time.
sharky
sharky

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:11am

pShoe Said:

I over stepped my skill level going right to the 4 hole tip. I used the 2 hole tip for the first time and things went better. I found it was slower and thus easier to control. It was easily the best milk I've steamed. It was very velvety. I'll be sticking to the 2 hole tip for a while, and order a QM 4 hole if I think I can handle the faster steam time.

Posted October 4, 2013 link

The 2 hole is working best for me, too!  I found the 4 hole was waaaay too fast!  I am getting amazing results with the 2 hole now & my latte art is improving each day!  Wahoo!
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:54am

sharky Said:

The 2 hole is working best for me, too!  I found the 4 hole was waaaay too fast!  I am getting amazing results with the 2 hole now & my latte art is improving each day!  Wahoo!

Posted October 5, 2013 link

I bought a bell shaped pitcher.. while it did seem to increase the amount of foam I could make, it didn't do much for the quality of my foam.

This morning, I put the 2 hole tip back on and used the bell shaped pitcher and got as good micro foam as I have ever made... hopefully I can be consistent now.
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 4 hole tip on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42174911499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+