Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Normal amount of water drip
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Normal amount of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cale42

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 6:41am
Subject: Normal amount of water drip

Hi,

First time to the forum!  I'm looking for some feedback on how much water in a drip tray is normal in a superautomatic machine.  I'm pretty new to nice coffee machines, but fairly mechanically inclined.  So when my little Delonghi EC155 died I decided to gamble and buy a used superautomatic online, take it completely apart and refurb it.   Several mail orders later I have it up and running and making quite delicious coffee.  

That being said, most of what I had to replace(o-rings and drainage valve) were related to water leaking out the bottom all the tie.  With all new parts, I am getting small amount of water that seems to be coming from under the drainage valve after each brew.  I would estimate it to be in the vicinity of an oz.  I would imagine I would have to empty the drip tray less than once a week for water buildup.. though living in Colorado I suspect it might evaporate first!

So my question is, is this normal?  This is an old Capresso C2000 machine by the way.  It is the first time I've ever used a superautomatic so I have no idea of some drippage is normal or it should be completely dry and there is an o-ring I missed along the way.

Thanks,
chris
 View Profile Link to this post
cale42

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 6:53am
Subject: Re: Normal amount of water drip

A slight follow up to this.. I finally managed to get a good angle with a flashlight to watch in the insides as it brews.... it doesn't look like there is any kind of leak, but it actually discharges a small amount of water out of the drainage valve after a brew.  I'm hoping some either people with Jura machines can confirm this, but it certainly looks like normal operation.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 8:07am

Hi and welcome
Supers are not esp popular here, most of us prefer a more hands on approach.

The water I think you are seeing is what is released after the shot is made. This is to let the pressure off the puck so it can be ejected without causing a mess. On the semi and automatic machines we favor, this is called the 3 way valve. When closed, it allows the brew system to make the espresso, after the shot, the valve opens and the water is allowed to bleed from the top of the puck so that there is no pressure and the portafilter can be removed without spraying wet grounds all over the place. On machines that do not have a 3 way valve, you must wait for the pressure to dissipate naturally, it will happen but it takes a little time.

Feed that machine FRESH beans, that is under two weeks from the day they were roasted. You will know this by the ROAST date on the bag. If there is a BEST BY or a USE BEFORE date, keep looking for fresh beans as those are hopelessly stale. Fresh is the only way to get the best, and isn't that why you are here? :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cale42

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 1:57pm

Thank you so much for the great reply.  That sounds like exactly what is happening.  It seemed normal, I just wasn't understanding the why of it!

I tend to agree about supers.. however with a wife that has to be out the door before 6:30 she pretty much laid down the ultimatum for a pod machine or a super auto.. she simply doesn't have the time to grind and tamp in the morning, nor the time to learn to do it properly.  So I felt the super was the lesser of two evils.

Someday another semi or my dream a La Pavoni manual may happen.. but for now one machine seemed enough.  Too it's credit it makes pretty decent espresso.

Thanks again for your help!

chris
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Normal amount of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312361955643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+