Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Stove Top Espresso Cappichino Maker
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stove Top...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
martybis

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 11:24pm
Subject: Stove Top Espresso Cappichino Maker

I have been researching and trying to locate the best option for coffee that works well on the stove top.. I have found Moka, basic camping units or even a French press but really want some good coffee, and not the watery junk you get from a French press.

Anyway I would like to get feedback from anyone who has tried this item.  Stove Top Espresso Machine

Please let me know your good or bad inputs on this thing and any thoughts you might have.  It looks interesting but do not know anything about those types of machines.  If there is a better one please let me know.  I am really looking that makes just one or two cups quick does not require much cleanup and tastes really good.

I have recently learned how to go from coffee cherries to roasted cofee beans.  You can either use a popcorn popper oven or fry pan to roast your own small batches at a time. Then grind it up, pop it into a stop top machine for your own soup to nuts cup of hand made coffee. I figure with a setup like this and a few coffee plants I will be in pretty self sufficient in the coffee department.

Love to hear your feedback as I am anxious to pull the trigger on one of these but do not want to drop the money on one if they are not worthwhile

martybis: Screenshot.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:26am
Subject: Re: Stove Top Espresso Cappichino Maker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqyZC2haBI

Moka has a distinct flavor that is quite unlike anything else, but it is NOT espresso--and unfortunately, neither is this stovetop coffee machine. True espresso is only achieved by pushing water through the coffee at a pressure of over 9 bar, which standard steam pressure falls quite short of. This isn't to say this stovetop machine won't make delicious coffee, I am just gently advising you not to get your hopes up that it will taste anything like that which you would get from a cafe or home semi-auto espresso machine.
martybis

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:34am

Thanks for the feedback.  The one on the first link does seem to be a steam pressure device!  On the second video it shows how it generates steam in the base of the unit.  check out the second video Second Video  Not sure about it, but it does look like it is making steam.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:39am

What I'm saying is that steam pressure alone is not anywhere near what espresso needs. It's why espresso machines have big levers or electric pumps. Steam pressure is about 1.5 bar, whereas you need six times as much pressure to actually make espresso. Also, like other methods of brewing coffee, this stovetop moka (because that's what it is, just in a different shape) will vary greatly depending on your grinder and bean age/quality.
martybis

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 1:24am

Thanks for the explanation.  I will email them and ask what pressure it operates at.  Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate the feedback
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 8:34am

<edit -- see below>

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
martybis

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 2:50pm

Here is a Cut/Paste of the emailed response to my question to them.  I have decided to just go ahead and buy one to try out.  I will post a photo of my unit when I get it if anyone is interested.  Hopefully it is as good tasting as it looks in the videos.  

--I did ask the sender of the original email if I could post their message on a web forum and they said that is ok.  Hopefully this permission complies with the forum rules of posting emails--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thank you for the email.  This is a good question and hopefully my answer is what you are looking for.

Normally the pressure of commercial espresso machines is very high (9-15 bar), however this stove top machine is designed to make a perfect espresso but at a lower pressure (approx 3 bar) for two main reasons.

1) Lower Pressure ensures greater safety for domestic use. The coffee maker is also equipped with a safety valve to ensure the pressure does not get too high that it becomes dangerous.

2) The main advantage is in the taste, because at the lower pressure the steam temperature is not scorching the coffee.  This is why most coffee bars run at the low range of pressure! Just like at higher pressure, the steam at 3 bar rises up and presses through the coffee mixture however the oils are not burned in the process, preserving the flavour.

Here is a good table that shows the higher the pressure the higher the temperature of the steam.  For example, the higher temp of some commercial units at 15 bar is almost 200c, and that is pressed through the coffee mixture!  http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/saturated-steam-properties-d_457.html

The unique patented design is different than other systems, but it still makes authentic tasting espresso, and many say it is much better tasting than many of those large and expensive machines.

If you need any more information please let me know and I will be happy to help.  They are great little coffee machines and a lot of our customers have them in addition to their larger Espresso machines.

Carolyn
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 4:35pm

Martin, please keep in mind that these people are trying to sell you something!

You seem to be resistant to what Markarian is trying to tell you.  There is no way to make true and proper espresso on the stove top.  Period.  This doesn't mean that a moka pot can't make great tasting coffee; it can (and does), but it isn't anything close to real (or "true") espresso.  No big deal, as moka pots are actually the #1 method of making coffee in Italian homes.

Your stove top "espresso" machine doesn't make espresso either, but it may make some very tasty coffee.

The response you received from Carolyn is filled with self-promotion, scare tactics, and misinformation.
Thank you for the email.  This is a good question and hopefully my answer is what you are looking for.

Normally the pressure of commercial espresso machines is very high (9-15 bar), however this stove top machine is designed to make a perfect espresso but at a lower pressure (approx 3 bar) for two main reasons.

martybis Said:

1) Lower Pressure ensures greater safety for domestic use. The coffee maker is also equipped with a safety valve to ensure the pressure does not get too high that it becomes dangerous.

Posted September 21, 2013 link

Yes, if you use a real espresso machine, your house will be blown up and destroyed in a massive explosion, and not only will you lose your house, but all your former neighbors will sue you for the devastation you've caused.

martybis Said:

2) The main advantage is in the taste, because at the lower pressure the steam temperature is not scorching the coffee.  This is why most coffee bars run at the low range of pressure! Just like at higher pressure, the steam at 3 bar rises up and presses through the coffee mixture however the oils are not burned in the process, preserving the flavour.

A lot of manufacturers tout the fact they have a 15 bar pump in their home machines.  It's actually irrelevant, because no one exceeds 9 bar in real life.  But aside from those machines that have pressure profiling, every commercial machine runs at 9 bar . . .

This is NOT to say that this machine sucks, or that it's horrible.  It simply isn't espresso.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:11pm

Here is a recent thread from Home Barista about the Kamira:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:38pm

sweaner Said:

Here is a recent thread from Home Barista about the Kamira:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I watched that video and another the video maker apparently made.  Over 90% of the brew coming out of the Kamira appeared to be thick foam.  Is that typical?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stove Top...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438128948212)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+