Espresso: Espresso Machines
Hello everyone!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Hello everyone!  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zenith

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 3:20am
Subject: Hello everyone!

How are you all doing?

I have a Delonghi Icona ECO310, only had it for a day. I've used it 3 times and it has a problem already. M not sure if this is just something I'm doing, I'll explain what happens. When the time comes to poor the espresso, all I get is a drip. I'm left with crema and heart so it's just like a pint of Guinness.

The pump sounds fine when you first turn it on, then it quietens down. Have I put too much coffee in it? Or have I tuned the filter too much?

I really appreciate all answers and I'd like to thank you all in advance.

Thank you!

Tom.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:17am
Subject: Re: Hello everyone!

It appears that this machine has your choice of using pods, or ground coffee in a crema enhancing portafilter (I say "appears" as the info available appears to be a bit thin). So the advice, if you are using ground coffee, is to grind finer. And to head off the landslide of questions, what grinder are you using, and are the beans fresh-roasted?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:25am

Randy hit it on the head, your grinder plays a huge part of the process, what grinder are you using?

Oh btw, welcome:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
zenith

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:37am

Thank you for your help! At the minute I haven't got a grinder and it was ground in Starbucks (their new Ethiopian coffee) when I first tried out out yesterday, it was fine, only used it twice.

Came to use it this morning at about 8:10, says fine then about 10:00 it started off as normal, then just went quiet. I've left it for a few hours to see if it was just too hit but still the same, I've tried using smaller amounts of coffee and it's still the same.

I'd had to return another delonghi 820 yesterday too after a week because of the same problem.

Again, thank you for your help. Really appreciated.

Tom.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:45am

Welcome to CG!

zenith Said:

I have a Delonghi Icona ECO310, only had it for a day. I've used it 3 times and it has a problem already.

Posted September 18, 2013 link

Unlikely!  Much, much more likely is that your machine is NOT the problem, unless it is defective to begin with, and what are the chances of that?  Given you are new to this, I would put my money on something you're doing.

zenith Said:

When the time comes to poor the espresso, all I get is a drip. I'm left with crema and heart so it's just like a pint of Guinness.

Posted September 18, 2013 link

I don't really understand this...and am baffled how Randy (frcn) and Wayne (calblacksmith) do.  Are you saying pour the espresso from a collection cup into another vessel after the extraction, or are you saying the extraction itself is so slow that it just drips?  It sounds to me like the espresso is just barely dripping when you try to extract.  If that's the case, then I would say your basket is too full or your grind is to fine, not too course...but maybe I've misunderstood.

As Randy pointed out that your machine is capable of using pods or enhancing portafilter, can you tell us which you're attempting?  Have you verified that you've got all the right parts matched up?  Is your coffee fresh? (by fresh, I mean, roasted within the past 2 weeks or so, and ground within about 15 minutes of use).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:51am

Hi again,
you can NOT make espresso with pre ground coffee! There is a rule of 15s that we hold to.

Green, unroasted coffee properly stored is good for about 15 months
Roasted, whole bean coffee is good for about 15 days from the day it was roasted.
Ground coffee is good for about 15 MINUTES from the time it was ground.

Esp in espresso, going longer than the above, and the coffee is stale. Starbucks can not be counted on for fresh coffee, in fact, it is extremely likely that it was stale before, long before, it got to the store. A quality roaster will put the day it was roasted, right on the bag. They do NOT use a "best by" or Best Before date, those dates range from 6 months to two YEARS. To that nearly all here consider Starbucks beans to be burnt to a cinder, even their "light" or "blond" roast which is much darker than what most here would consider burnt.

You NEED to be able to adjust the grind, a little too fine and it stops the machine cold, a little to coarse and the water gushes through the puck, only adjusting the grind for the conditions at the moment you are brewing will give you good espresso. Not only that, the majority of grinders are not able to grind for espresso so don't think a $35 US "burr" grinder from a department store will do the job, it will NOT.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:54am

looks like we posted at the same time...

Have you been rinsing the group after each use? Old, dried on espresso sitting in the shower screen between uses will ruin your extractions.

Any chance of you weighing the doses before running the extraction? (would require a scale that measure in 0.1g increments)

How long is your extraction running? What volume are you getting? (both the good extractions and the bad ones)

I still feel the problem most likely lies in your method, not the machine (and probably not the first machine either). However, if indeed the problem does lie in the machine, that's now 2 brand new machines that are defective...I certainly wouldn't try a third.

EDIT:  Wayne, it sounds like he's using a PPF, no?

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 6:03am

Yes, that would be a good first assumption due to the machine in question. Fresh coffee, freshly ground is still key, the PPF can give something that looks like espresso but .....

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 6:19am

yeah, I know...but it's all he's got to work with at the moment, and he should be able to get something out of it better than he says he's getting now.

zenith

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 6:23am

Hello emradguy. Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

Without any water in the filter, it's fine. I've tried not putting a quarter full filter on it and it still just drips out but really watery. The filter also is really watery when you take it off to clean. It probably is something that I've done although nothing has changed since I completed the first two successful drinks.

The coffee is 1 day old. There was about an hour difference between grinding and it's first usage. It's in a opaque air tight container and I keep it in the fridge.

Thank you for all the help. Really sorry to ask a silly question. Specially if it turns out to be something I've done!

Thanks again,

Tom.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Hello everyone!  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405935049057)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+