Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have consumer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
man114

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico,...
Drip: Norelco Dial A Brew
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 12:46pm
Subject: Re: Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?

I picked up a Jura Capresso Impressa S8 a couple of weeks ago at Goodwill, which brought me to this forum.

After messing around with the settings I was able to pull off fairly decent shots. Being able to get it to run slow enough to pull decent enough shots was the key. This took finding a coffee that when ground fine enough ran slow enough.

It still is a tradeoff between coffee quality and convenience. Its nice to wake up in the morning, press a button and have your coffee.

You'll get a better shot out of one of these than having someone inexperienced make it.

Overall I couldn't justify the normal cost for one of these machines. It is simply a convenience factor, or maybe something for a small town restaurant that coudn't train all the employees to use something more complex but wanted such drinks on the menu.

So unless you absolutely need to have your drink in a hurry with the convenience of a Keurig or something super high quality coffee is not going to be achieved on a superautomatic.
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 3:11pm
Subject: Re: Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?

Another poster above mentioned nespresso, I had forgotten about those.  The OP should probably be made aware that capsules are the latest thing these days, and small cheap "single serving" devices can make convenient coffee.

I'm not by any means recommending them, I've never tried it, just something new that's happened in the last few years.
Inflictionmitch

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Pisa
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 4:39pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Personally, I'm not at all a fan of Nespresso type machines. Very average espresso shots at best (imho) and little flexibility within their forced ecosystems.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 5:39pm

Agreed.  I've tried several of their options -- uh, coffees -- and I only found a couple of the choices to be drinkable (out of the 10-12 I tried).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:45am

Inflictionmitch Said:

I've never been impressed with espresso shots from the Superautomatic machines that I've tried in the past, but I've not tried any consumer units in the past several year. My Baratza grinder mechanism has now crapped out and my Pavoni espresso machine is about twelve years old (and about six repairs in), so a part of my is considering the semi-blasphemic act of purchasing a superautomatic, if one can be had that delivers pleasing, strong shots with nice crema. Are there any machines that you guys feel might be worth considering?

Posted September 15, 2013 link

Whether one finds what a superauto produces pleasing is a subjective matter though CoffeeGeeks in general aren't going to recommend them.  If you want recommendations for pushbutton machines you'd be better served at Single Serve Coffe Forums.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:46am

Inflictionmitch Said:

I've never been impressed with espresso shots from the Superautomatic machines that I've tried in the past, but I've not tried any consumer units in the past several year. My Baratza grinder mechanism has now crapped out and my Pavoni espresso machine is about twelve years old (and about six repairs in), so a part of my is considering the semi-blasphemic act of purchasing a superautomatic, if one can be had that delivers pleasing, strong shots with nice crema. Are there any machines that you guys feel might be worth considering?

Posted September 15, 2013 link

Whether one finds what a superauto produces is a subjective matter and CoffeeGeeks in general aren't going to recommend them.  If you want recommendations for pushbutton machines you'd be better served at Single Serve Coffe Forums.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:54am

Try to think of a worst place to put a grinder than inside an espresso machine.  Let me know when you come up with one.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have consumer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373802900314)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+