Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
OSCAR SIMONELLI BACKFLUSH
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OSCAR SIMONELLI...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
osteenjames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 3:27pm
Subject: OSCAR SIMONELLI BACKFLUSH

I have a OSCAR SIMONELLI Espresso machine and today I backflushed with FULL-CIRCLE backflush detergent.
Instructions said 1/2 teaspoon detergent in blind filter and run brew on 10 seconds then off 10 seconds-repeat- five times. Then rinse everything repeat process with empty blind filter, then remove portafilter, run brew few seconds. Finally make shot of espresso and throw out to avoid any chemicals in espresso.

Questions: My portafilter was hard to reinsert into brew-head after back-flush. I had to insert portafilter with no basket a couple of times and then was able to put VST basket into portafilter and get it inserted into brew-head. Is this normal?

Also, how often should I back-flush OSCAR SIMONELLI machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: OSCAR SIMONELLI BACKFLUSH

That's normal backflush procedure. How often is frequently debated. Jim at 1st-line says every 50 shots/extractions.

I've never heard of back flushing causing any problems re-engaging the pf. Did you remove the gasket at any point? That would make more sense as its nearly impossible to replace the gasket all the way in without having to apply some upwards pressure with the pf handle.

Btw, you don't have an "Oscar simonelli". It's called a Nuova Simonelli Oscar.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:30pm

Ah, your journey begins.

If you don't know when the last time the gasket was replaced, it's probably time to order a new one. How long have you had the machine. Did you buy it used or is it brand new? Also, make sure the shower screen and diffuser block are still firmly attached.

If you're brand new to this machine, you should make sure you don't have the model set up for ESE Pods, which can make the PF very hard to engage with a tamped load of coffee. If your group looks like this, it's time to order the correct shower screen and diffuser (link in thread):

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/570484
osteenjames

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:23am

I bought this machine used for 450.00 dollars it works excellent. It is set up for ground coffee not pods. The machine was used by previous owner once a month for 12 months. The previous owner never back flushed machine; called back-flush blind filter a flying-saucer-do-dad. I back-flushed and machine did the usual things as previous threads explain. I went to put portafilter back in and it seemed like it no longer fit.
I found a thread on either this forum or home-barista forum that explained sometimes water gets behind brew head gasket and that you may solve problem by inserting portafilter without basket into group-head a couple of times and then insert basket into portafilter and it should go into place. This technique worked for me.
I looked at bottom of "Nuova Simonelli Oscar machine and the date is 2005. So machine is manufactured in 2005 no idea how much use machine has had but it performs excellent.
How often should you replace gasket in brew-head? Maybe its  old and why water may have gotten behind gasket causing ill-fitting portafilter.?

Also, the screw that holds the shower screen to the defuser is actually a hexagonal hole probably metric 5 mm and is very tight. I was going to remove it at one time but was unsure of direction to losen "righty tighty or Lefty-loosy" Do you know what direction to loosen?
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:06am

Lefty-loosey for the shower screen screw. An allen screw? That's a new one. Mine was from 2005 and it had a standard flat-head screw.

You're probably the third or perhaps even fourth owner of this machine. I would order a couple gaskets now and put a new one in. After only 4-6 months of intensive use, the gaskets turn into a brittle, hard mess.
osteenjames

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 3:57pm

Thanks very much for the info. I will order a few gaskets and review some u-tube on how to change. Yes, it is a allen metric probably a 5mm. All the other machines I've seen had regular flat head screws.  I just helped my son change a battery on his harley davidson motorcycle and I had to remove six of these same type 5mm hex screws. Maybe a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle owner owned this machine before. The lady I bought machine from didn't know what back-flush disk was; said it was a flying-saucer-do-dad.  I tell my grown kids now the OSCAR is my Flying-saucer-do-dad machine that helps wake me up in the morning.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OSCAR SIMONELLI...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359048843384)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+