Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 240 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bartholomew

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 8:36pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Thanks for the comments all.

I agree that it is a damn shame that there is not more attention given to how great these machines are. I am a newbie myself, so its hard for me to have the necessary perspective but the Breville Dual Boiler makes pretty delicious coffee.

I do not think I had a /B model. This one is not a /B model as far as I can see. It does have the smaller frothing mug, but the portafilter still has a plastic insert and no apparent difference on the sides re the non-flipping out.

Unfortunately, it also has the same slight drip problem as my original machine. Not sure whether I should raise a fuss, but I do remember the dripping becoming worse over time, so maybe I should raise it to Breville.
 View Profile Link to this post
wjordan

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

carz07 Said:

as long as there is still room to grind finer im ok with that hehehe i dont want to get into a scenario where you just cant do another turn to make fine enough hahahaha thanks

Posted August 19, 2013 link

I'm using Preciso with locally roasted beans. Mine is set at 3C and I'm getting 36.5g 31-37 sec shots with 18.5 g dose....about right. The good thing about the Preciso is that there are three calibration settings that you can select between...not sure what mine is at, but seeing as how I'm pushing the lower limit perhaps I should check (user manual for preciso recommends an 8'ish setting for espresso). That said, if I use a lighter roasted bean, my setting jumps to 4H with 20.5g dose....so really depends on the bean.

I have been able to choke the machine though if I drop it too low.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Re: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

wjordan Said:

I have been able to choke the machine though if I drop it too low.

Posted September 3, 2013 link

nice! my preciso will arrive 2 weeks from now and im excited. true it depends on the bean, and also the roast. this is what i just want a grinder that has no problem choking the bdb hehehe, it means it can grind fine enough to give me room. thanks

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PacoPackaPucka

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 10:33am

Has anyone ordered a BDB from BBB (Bed Bath and Beyond) recently?  If so, did you receive the newer model  BES900XL /B  or the older model   BES900XL   (with no /B at the end)  ?

Does anyone know how I can order the BDB from BBB and make sure that I get the newer model and not the older model?  They're not totally clear on this at the store.
chook19

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 10:42am

I've recently started experiencing my first problem with my 14 month old Breville Dual Boiler.

I always use the manual button to extract my espresso, but starting yesterday, I noticed that the pump is now shutting itself off after 35-37 seconds. I've tried this many more times since, and it always shuts itself off after 35-37 seconds.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this, and if there's anything I can do to address it myself? Time to call Breville? Thanks.
bglenden

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 10:48am

I had a problem (manual button came off) with my 16 month (i.e., out of warranty) BDB. When I phoned their tech support, they volunteered to send me a replacement machine without any prompting as I started to describe the problem. This is outstanding customer service on the part of Breville. (They sent me a new /B as far as I can tell).

Cheers,
Brian
MJW

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 3:47pm

I have a question about preinfusion.  Have you folks experimented with preinfusion and noticed any effect on shot temperature?
carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 6:24pm

MJW Said:

I have a question about preinfusion.  Have you folks experimented with preinfusion and noticed any effect on shot temperature?

Posted September 12, 2013 link

check the thread not that far from here, forgot the name but he was playing with the preinfusion and pressure

not what you might think of longer or shorter preinfusion but its a different

MJW

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 8:23pm

carz07 Said:

check the thread not that far from here, forgot the name but he was playing with the preinfusion and pressure

not what you might think of longer or shorter preinfusion but its a different

Hi Carz07, was he playing on a 900 or a different machine?  Are you by any chance thinking of Jonr's thread?  Jonr is controlling both tempearature and pressure on a Gaggia classic, even delaying the pump turn-on in order to "get ready" so the temperature can be perfect.

The more I think about it, it seems like it would be difficult to manipulate temperature on a 900 by manually choosing different preinfusion times.  Because the boiler is stable and there's also the group heater.  So in summary it seems like the electronics are very much in control here -- as they should be -- and there's no room for deviation from shot to shot.  I was just curious if my thinking on this is correct.
carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 10:49pm

MJW Said:

Hi Carz07, was he playing on a 900 or a different machine?  Are you by any chance thinking of Jonr's thread?  Jonr is controlling both tempearature and pressure on a Gaggia classic, even delaying the pump turn-on in order to "get ready" so the temperature can be perfect.

The more I think about it, it seems like it would be difficult to manipulate temperature on a 900 by manually choosing different preinfusion times.  Because the boiler is stable and there's also the group heater.  So in summary it seems like the electronics are very much in control here -- as they should be -- and there's no room for deviation from shot to shot.  I was just curious if my thinking on this is correct.

we are talking about bes900 right?
start reading here "Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread"?LastView=1379050462&Page=230
ocoffeefan's post

showing page 240 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.460025072098)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+