Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Would you drink it or sink it?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Would you drink...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 8:51am
Subject: Re: Would you drink it or sink it?

I was not playing.  I was giving advice.  I just watched the tape.  I would probably drink it.  I know I have drunk uglier shots.  But I use milk.... so I can get by with some not so great shots.  Also, I tend to give those to my husband, *shhh don't tell him.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gstcyrf

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041TEM
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 12:26pm

SINK IT....looks like you have puck density problems or channeling...extraction rate is not constant, good then too fast..probably a very bitter shot
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 12:35pm

Flow doesn't look right like others said, like there was channeling mid way. So off that vid I would sink it if a straight shot.
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 2:26pm

my question, as someone that is newer to espresso, is was it bitter or sour, and if there were density issues, what would be the diagnostics run through for a fix?
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 3:26pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Also, I tend to give those to my husband, *shhh don't tell him.

Posted September 9, 2013 link

Hey if he does not complain .....

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 4:48pm

Thanks all.... here is the edit info I added to the first post in this thread:

DeanOK Said:

Edit 9/9/13 at 6:47PM central time:

Ok, for those that didn't realize it, I knew when I started that this was not a great shot. Hence the reason for the title of the thread. I did drink it. It was not great, but not the worst I have been able to produce either. In fact, I have produced many that were not so good back when I had pressure problems with my old machine.

I always have trouble describing sour and bitter. I drank the shot in milk, so my description would have been "bland". Most of my sampling of straight shots of espresso is limited to a very small amount. I actually feel I do a better job judging a shot by the smell. Seems to me that there is a sweetness to the aroma that reminds me of chewing tobacco and maybe a little citrus sometimes. Don't ask my how I refined that weird way to describe coffee aroma and learned to trust it.... because I don't know. This also doesn't work on drip coffee.

You may wonder why I was pulled down so tight on my grind. Well, I saw all of those videos of those slayer shots that were thick as mud at first, and I was trying to reproduce that... without much success. I have pretty tight on my grind the last few days trying to keep my shots thick at first thinking I could find a taste profile that I have never found before. Even the 25 second shot I posted separately a few days ago was pretty fine on the grind... but I have noticed some things:  The crema is actually lighter in color when I try to keep the grind fine. That surprised me. I have much darker crema when I coarsen the grind and try to yield 32-36 grams from 18 grams of coffee in about 25-28 seconds from pump on.

This entire last week has been nothing but changes and trying new things for me because the V2B makes it very easy for me to make slight changes and be able to repeat the results. This machine is much more than I expected and even though I was afraid I would have buyer's remorse, I am glad I have it. I love how repeatable the machine is. I have been making espresso since the late 90's and today was the first time I was sure I had seen tiger striping.... that was a pretty good feeling. I am still varying grind and pull time and enjoying the opportunity to taste all of the different tastes, but so far the only shot  I have sinked was the very first one I made simply because my grind was too far off. Some of those shots were not too great, some of them pretty darn good. One was probably the best I have ever made.

I look forward to sharpening my skills and I am very appreciative of all those of you that helped me through the dark days when my pressure was way low on my old machine and I was sinking shot after shot. Some of you always gave me the benefit of the doubt and I appreciate that.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread!

Posted September 7, 2013 link

CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 5:06pm

DeanOK Said:

Thanks all.... here is the edit info I added to the first post in this thread:

Posted September 9, 2013 link

You won't really be able to get thick almost syrupy looking pours (mud as you said) in the way that the Slayer and others do, like a Lever, b/c of their pressure profiling (or even ones that adapted it to the GS3). Not to say you can't make great shots with this class of machines, obviously lol, just pressure profiling can make a noticeable difference in the pours and extraction. Even playing with a lever machine its amazing how much different the same beans can taste.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Would you drink...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398162126541)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+