Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help on dosing and distribution technique!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help on dosing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
daltongreene

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: K30-es,La minerva c11, Hario...
Drip: v60, Aeropress
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 2:53pm
Subject: Help on dosing and distribution technique!

Hi All,

I've been having a little issue with my dosing technique, I am trying to be consistent but the basket is too large for the amount of coffee i want to add. If i over fill the basket and groom it is around 22g on average, I want 18g in the basket but coffee falls below the rim at this amount and I do not have an effective grooming method that won't lead to uneven distribution in the basket when I tamp.

Any suggestions on what I can do other than buying a different portafilter as the machine I am working on is not mine.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Help on dosing and distribution technique!

daltongreene Said:

Hi All,

I've been having a little issue with my dosing technique, I am trying to be consistent but the basket is too large for the amount of coffee i want to add. If i over fill the basket and groom it is around 22g on average, I want 18g in the basket but coffee falls below the rim at this amount and I do not have an effective grooming method that won't lead to uneven distribution in the basket when I tamp.

Any suggestions on what I can do other than buying a different portafilter as the machine I am working on is not mine.

Thanks in advance.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

I usually end up below the top of the basket when I dose 18g. If you use the weiss distribution technique it will probably solve your issue. If you happen to be using a triple basket, you need to get a double basket.
daltongreene

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 3:25pm

I use the WDT but can only do it when basket is overfilled and that's when it's 20-22g. I'd be a little embarrassed if I've been using a triple basket unknowingly but I don't imagine it is as the portafilter being used came standard with the machine and in Europe a triple basket is often unheard of (I'm from Ireland) but it's possible.

Thanks for commenting.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 3:36pm

Grinds don't have to be level with the PF edge, I dose 16g in my double which can easily fit 18-20g to level after taping on my tamping mat once. I just wdt and have no problem. I use to always try to fill more and level perfectly and evenly, but imo it make no difference as long as you distribute well and tamp evenly. Maybe on a VST basket which has to be about exact for grams and depending on the roast type can be under or above the edge.

However what type of basket are you using, sizes are all over the place and it seems you may have a larger double then normal if your getting 22g in, so it may not be fond of under dosing as much.
daltongreene

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 3:57pm

Perhaps I am just over thinking it, I felt that if it was not perfectly even in the basket and I tamped it would leave to an even extraction.
When you use the wdt do you overfill one edge and distribute from there?
My issue is if I dose 16-18g and I attempt the wdt is the grounds not too low in the basket to distribute effectively if the rim is you're pivot point for your finger?
It is not my machine so I do not have all the details, it is a gaggia deco 2group. I always presumed it was a double basket but from this discussion I am thinking otherwise if it holds up to 22g.
CMIN

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 4:02pm

]

daltongreene Said:

Perhaps I am just over thinking it, I felt that if it was not perfectly even in the basket and I tamped it would leave to an even extraction.
When you use the wdt do you overfill one edge and distribute from there?
My issue is if I dose 16-18g and I attempt the wdt is the grounds not too low in the basket to distribute effectively if the rim is you're pivot point for your finger?
It is not my machine so I do not have all the details, it is a gaggia deco 2group. I always presumed it was a double basket but from this discussion I am thinking otherwise if it holds up to 22g.

Are you using a cup or funnel of some sort? I grind into my bin on my grinder as I tare it out and weigh the grinds (I single dose). I cut a yogurt cup (think the 8oz plastic ones) to fit into my PF, I just kept trimming from the bottom till it fit snugly. That way I pour the grinds in, and sometimes just level out with a quick tap on my tamping mat, or just go straight to wdt with a needle. 22g seems more along the lines of a tripple basket, but I don't know that machine.

here's a pic, can use it under the grinder as well to just dose directly, but basically it makes it easy to shake or wdt w/o overflowing grinds out or even if up dosed a quick tap on my mat will settle pretty level with the edge.
Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
daltongreene

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 4:10pm

With a needle?
I dose straight into the portafilter from the dosing chamber, overfill the basket, do my version of the wdt and swipe remaining grounds back into dosing chamber which makes it level then I tamp. This generally results in an undesired quantity of grounds in the basket 20-22g instead of my desired 16-18g.
CMIN

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 4:29pm

daltongreene Said:

With a needle?
I dose straight into the portafilter from the dosing chamber, overfill the basket, do my version of the wdt and swipe remaining grounds back into dosing chamber which makes it level then I tamp. This generally results in an undesired quantity of grounds in the basket 20-22g instead of my desired 16-18g.

Not sure what your doing, but WDT is done by using a needle ( I just use a safety pin bent out). You stir the grinds with it, it's thin so it won't cause re-clumping like other things. I make like counter clockwise circles around the grinds.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:46pm

I haven't seen anyone go do a finger sweep after WDT.  I think it's more WDT, tamp and go.  Weigh out your dose, get it all in the basket, do your WDT, then tamp and pull.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
daltongreene

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:06am

I am terribly sorry I confused myself, I use the NSEW (North,South,East,West) grooming method not the WDT.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help on dosing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395254135132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+