Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any word on the BDB BES920 release in the U.S?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any word on the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Lilyfil4

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: TBA
Grinder: Smart grinder breville
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Chemex/able brewer
Roaster: Behmour
Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 10:11am
Subject: Any word on the BDB BES920 release in the U.S?

(New BES920 announced in Australia from Phil McKnight on the Coffeesnobs forum..  details:

Breville's New BES920 Dual Boiler Debut at Aroma this Sunday (7/21)
Just a heads up for all Snobs heading to Aroma Festival this weekend in Sydney, we'll be debuting our BES920 Dual Boiler. Never seen in public before, this is a significant ugrade to the highly successful BES900. We'll have 2 on display for use by anyone wanting to put it through its paces. Improvements include:

2400W Heating system

7) Higher wattage (2400W))

Hi my name is Liz and I am new to this forum.  I have been lurking the past year, roasting my own coffee and loving the journey. I have been investigating which espresso machine I should purchase and wow it's an extensive process but very fun.  I am stuck between the BDB and a rocket.  I know the new BDB BES920 is supposed to come out soon so I hate to go and buy the BES900 if the improved version is due out soon. Anyone have any word on when they should come out in the US? Phil, do you have any idea as of yet? I read on coffee snobs it was due out around Christmas but that is Aus. Loving this sight and how helpful it's been, thanks everyone!  It's so cool to hang out with folks who understand the coffee thing and why I love the whole subject. :0)  Any Pictures of the BES920 from the Aroma Festival?  I enjoyed the videos of the Oracle. All I can say is I am getting tired of the research and just want to go buy one already!   LOL  

Best! Liz
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 10:25pm
Subject: Re: Any word on the BDB BES920 release in the U.S?

Welcome to CG Liz!  I don't have the answer but maybe ask KatBrazier on the Oz forum, she'll know if anyone does.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 1:14am

Liz welcome. I would like to recommend Jim at 1stLine or Chris at Chris Coffee
as two outstanding resources you can utilize . They both are excellent
and know machines/coffee. It's what they do so they have a vested interest in not
only providing state of the art equipment but even more importantly
they will offer the support you will need long term.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 3:35am

Hi ,welcome.
Between the two you mentioned, I would go with the proven quality of Rocket. Don't forget you will need a quality grinder, it is more important than athe machine. Hard to believe but true.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lilyfil4

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 12:11pm

calblacksmith Said:

Hi ,welcome.
Between the two you mentioned, I would go with the proven quality of Rocket. Don't forget you will need a quality grinder, it is more important than athe machine. Hard to believe but true.

Posted September 3, 2013 link

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated. Maybe I will pick up the grinder / espresso topic on a new thread and ask a few more questions. :)  I am leaning toward the rocket, my concern is there are no authorized breville repair shops in NJ, even though the Breville has some awesome features I would feel better if I could get it repaired in state.

I will continue on with the research.;)
Best,
Liz
Lilyfil4

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 12:14pm

MJW Said:

Welcome to CG Liz!  I don't have the answer but maybe ask KatBrazier on the Oz forum, she'll know if anyone does.

Posted September 2, 2013 link

Thanks so much for the advice and the welcome I will check into it. :o)

Best,
Liz
Lilyfil4

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 12:20pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Liz welcome. I would like to recommend Jim at 1stLine or Chris at Chris Coffee
as two outstanding resources you can utilize . They both are excellent
and know machines/coffee. It's what they do so they have a vested interest in not
only providing state of the art equipment but even more importantly
they will offer the support you will need long term.

Posted September 3, 2013 link

Thanks for the welcome! I have been looking at 1st lines sight and they are in NJ as well. It will be great to have a specific person to ask for when I call. You hit the nail on the head when you spoke of support, that is really important to me when I make very large purchases.  I think I need to make a few phone calls. :)

Best,
Liz
MJW

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 3:48pm

Any new information on when the 920 is hitting the U.S.?
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 2:30am

I would steer clear of a Breville if you're even considering a Rocket. It's like being torn between a Mercury Grand Marquis and a Mercedes S-Class. They both have a V8, but which one is going to last longer and be of higher quality? Also, 2400W, sweet Jesus, that will trip a breaker for sure! That's theoretically pushing the limit of a 20Amp, which most homes don't have for outlets by default.

If you can afford a Rocket, you can afford a grinder. Check out the Baratza Vario-W or Mazzer Mini.

Welcome to your first thread--May it yield a thick crema with the mottlings of good advice.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:41am

One of the "secrets" of espresso machines is that nearly all of the machines in a given class in a given price range -- say E-61 HXs at around $1700 -- are collections of the same or very similar components plumbed with the same type of materials in similar boxes.  That is, regardless of manufacturer, they tend to be far more alike than different.  

Rocket makes good machines, but there's nothing particularly better about any Rocket than similar machines by a variety of other makers like ECM, Izzo, Quick Mill, and VBM to name a few (in alphabetical order).  Since you didn't specify which Rocket, I'll refrain from further comment.  

The best way to approach the prosumer market is to nail down the features you want, your price range, and take it from there.   Because the machines do the same things in such a similar way, at the end of the day you'll be weighing looks, ergonomics, depth of drip tray, "touch," and steam performance very heavily.  And because an espresso machine is an investment which should last a decade or longer, that's a good thing.

The newer Breville machines like the 900 (aka BDB) are among the exceptions to the general rule of "they're all alike."  And it's also something of a good exception to the rule of "you get what you pay for."  Breville uses the lower costs provided by Asian manufacturing, the economics of "scale," and lots of plastic to leverage quite a bit of engineering into a low cost but high performing package.  

That doesn't make them the right machines for everyone though.  Some people (including me) want things you can't get from a Breville and are willing to pay for them.  But if I were buying an espresso machine for one of my kids -- both renters who cannot "plumb in" -- it would be a BDB; and it's the machine I most often recommend to people who are unwilling to go pay for high-end prosumer machines, for its low learning curve, temp stability and simplicity of use.  

That Breville is aware the 900 was imperfect and is not only taking steps to address the problems, but undertaking changes large enough to merit a new model number is a good thing.  There shouldn't be any doubt that Breville is a serious player.  

If you do want the bang for the buck Breville provides, it's probably worth waiting a few months to see what the US version of the 920 looks like.  Breville being Breville and extremely consumer oriented, I'm pretty sure they'll make it function on an ordinary 15A circuit (probably by alternate cycling the heating coils).  If it means anything, I'd wait if I was planning on buying a machine for my kids.

However, Brevilles cannot be plumbed in.  If you can plumb-in you should plumb-in.  It's really that important.  Convertible machines are especially nice in that they can be plumbed in but taken off the line every couple of years and easily descaled at home.  

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

A Baratza Vario is a decent grinder at a good price; consider it the mininum to feed a machine like those you seem to be considering.  The Vario comes in several different flavors, at slightly different prices.  The Forte is an improved, friendlier Vario-W ("W" means it doses by weight without you using a separate scale), but I can't say whether the improvements are worth the money to you.  The Mazzer Mini is a nice package, but the stock burrs don't grind well enough to compete with modern grinders.  A Mazzer Mini upgraded with Super Jolly burrs isn't bad, though.

Hope this helps,
BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any word on the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.391607999802)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+