Espresso: Espresso Machines
Housekeeping your machine.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Housekeeping...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pmaru77

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:10pm
Subject: Housekeeping your machine.

What I've noticed, is that being able to clean your machine is quite important, as it is something I end up doing 2 times a day. And some lessons I've learned the hard way.  First off, I saw a vid where someone purged their steamer wand into the drip tray to get the excess water out prior to steaming.  Well, I tried that and all sorts of crap flew everywhere.  Bad idea, unless you know excatly what you are doing.  Also, cleaning the steam wand.  You always hear, now dont' forget to wie you wand off with a wet rag after steaming your milk.  Well, errr, doesn't work, period.  The milk is stuck and burnt on (silvia) unless perhaps you have a double wall wand.  So I use a cup with water to just soak the wand and the cup serves as a steam purger. I'm ok with my machine and it's design, but have noticed that some machines are better suuited for maintaining than others.  Or am I just too sloppy. :)  I found a circular ring bristle brush to clean the locking groove in the brew head for locking the portafilter, so I plan on getting that, as the groove is nasty. Good idea?
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:13pm
Subject: Re: Housekeeping your machine.

pmaru77 Said:

First off, I saw a vid where someone purged their steamer wand into the drip tray to get the excess water out prior to steaming.  Well, I tried that and all sorts of crap flew everywhere.  Bad idea, unless you know excatly what you are doing.

Posted August 30, 2013 link

Probably depends on both the machine and the operator.  I've done so without any problems but I'm not sure I'd say I know exactly what I'm doing.
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:21pm

What do you mean crap flew everywhere?  Stuff coming out of the wand or the steam blowing stuff around?  Purging the wand beforehand is very important to purge the water and 'wet' steam.

As for wiping of the steam wand I'm going to guess you're trying to wipe off with a dry rag.  Try a moist rag.  Also very important to purge AFTER steaming as well to get the milk out of the inside of the wand.

Very good idea about the grouphead brush.  Pretty much essential.
pmaru77

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:45pm

ddubick Said:

What do you mean crap flew everywhere?  Stuff coming out of the wand or the steam blowing stuff around?  Purging the wand beforehand is very important to purge the water and 'wet' steam.

As for wiping of the steam wand I'm going to guess you're trying to wipe off with a dry rag.  Try a moist rag.  Also very important to purge AFTER steaming as well to get the milk out of the inside of the wand.

Very good idea about the grouphead brush.  Pretty much essential.

Sorry, stuff in the drip tray.  And yes, a wet rag, and  yes to purging the wand.  I run the hot water through the wand till is stops singing, about 5 seconds.  That should ensure that the boiler is full.  Anyways, my soak and wipe before steaming seems to work fine.

RE: grouphead brush, I have the std one, but the one I'm refering to is like a halo shape.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:51pm

pmaru77 Said:

Also, cleaning the steam wand.  You always hear, now dont' forget to wie you wand off with a wet rag after steaming your milk.  Well, errr, doesn't work, period.  The milk is stuck and burnt on (silvia) unless perhaps you have a double wall wand.  So I use a cup with water to just soak the wand and the cup serves as a steam purger.

I know it seems counter intuitive, but I find that giving the wand a good blast to get it nice and hot ("burn me" type) makes it easy to clean, but I also try to do it within a few minutes of steaming the milk anyway. Best cleaning cloth I've found is one of those thinnish cellulose type dishwashing sponges - a bit more than damp, but not dripping wet.  Works a treat, and you can just rinse it afterwards and if you want throw it in the microwave for a (short) while to sterilise it. Just don't overdo it or you'll have a smouldering heap.  The wand on mine doesn't have any kind of ridge where the tip screws on - it's a sort of smooth pear shape, so that makes it a bit easier perhaps.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 1:33pm

Steam wand cleaning is best done right away...as mentioned, with a wet/moist rag.  I hold the rag, folded over in halves twice, under the wand when purging water out just before steaming.  It stays nice and hot.  Right after steaming, I swirl the pitcher with one hand while I grab the wet rag with my other hand, wrap it around the wand and wipe it down.  Then I open the valve for a second or two to purge any potentially sucked in milk.

I replied to your gasket brush question in the other thread.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 3:02pm

Yes if your milk is burned onto the steam wand you're definately waiting too long to clean it.  Should be done right after steaming so it doesn't cook on.
Flori

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 9:37pm

cleaning your machine is really important. i try to clean it as frequent as possible to eliminate problems.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
pmaru77

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 12:09pm

ddubick Said:

Yes if your milk is burned onto the steam wand you're definately waiting too long to clean it.  Should be done right after steaming so it doesn't cook on.

Turns out my rag was not wet enuf.  But it's hard to find my rag most of the time (wife) So I use paper towels also.  I need to get pretty rags.
For a knock box, I use a plastic square tupperware type box with a hinged lid.  Open, knock and close it............. turns out to be acceptable to the boss.
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 12:22pm

Get some micro fiber cloths. They make machine cleaning easier.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Housekeeping...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404479026794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+