Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
M_R
M_R
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043MM
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:37am
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

Finally got the machine back, after much struggling around with it in my shopping trolley.
It's working; but the flow is quite different. There's hardly any crema.
I've forgotten everything I knew about adjusting the grind to get the flow one wants.
Who's feeling sufficiently patient to remind me, please, fellers?
:-|
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 7:05am
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

lack of crema...I'd start with getting fresh beans (or swapping out beans if you just bought them). If you are using the pressurized portafilter system, I doubt grind has much to do with it. As for flow, its usually finer slows the flow and coarse speeds it up.
 View Profile Link to this post
M_R
M_R

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 1:50pm

The electrician who did the repairs on my Gaggia had called to say it was ready, and that he had cleaned out the boiler - so it was indeed a matter of build-up's getting loose and gumming up the works.
I suppose I must admit that it was probably my fault, inasmuch as I hadn't been back-flushing with a cleaning agent, and certainly not de-scaling: all I did was use my blind filter quite often to do a kind of minor back-flush ... maybe there's a term for that? (she asked, hopefully ...)
I've now ascertained, as mentioned previously, that I can source the Durgol; so I must be clear on everything I'm going to have to do from now on ... Nobby, as you were the one who mentioned it, would you confirm that the Durgol is for de-scaling? - and if so, then what is to be used for back-flushing? Alternatively, if the Durgol's for back-flushing, what should I use for de-scaling? NOT, I hasten to add, that I have the faintest intention of doing any de-scaling in the ... erhmm ... 'foreseeable' future (whatever that is)!
The prospect of taking apart my grinder fills me with anticipatory gloom.
Old broads shouldn't have to do this kind thing, imnsho.
:-|
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 2:23pm

If I may interject. I use Durgol to descale my Lelit (a single boiler like your classic). My son in law uses it to descale his (formerly my)Gaggia "Espresso". It is not for back flushing. For back flushing my Lelit, I use Cafiza by Urnex.

The "Swiss Duegol" is liquid. One follows the instructions, diluting the stuff in water and then running it into your boiler where it is claimed to rapidly work it's magic (check out the video).

The Cafiza is a coarse sort of solid material, a 1/2  teaspoon put into the blind filter and backflushing is done. Both products have instructions.

Prophylactic cleaning avoids problems. I usually set aside a quiet Sunday morning to backflush and every several Sundays to descale. Using a regular cleaning routine there has been no problem with either machine. The Gaggia is 10+ years old. The Lelit 4+.

Happy espresso,

Skylar
M_R
M_R

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 2:30pm

Cool! - sounds good to ME.
And what about your grinder? - how often do you clean that?
As for the Cafiza, I see that I can also source that through Fishpond.com.au - coming from OS suppliers - but am unsure re the difference betwen tablets and powder.Your recommendation in this regard?
MJW

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 4:12pm

M_R, what you were doing before, is called a "clear water backflush" and is widely considered good practice.

In Australia you have Cafetto tablets / powder which are popular, and may be easier for you to get.  Urnex Cafiza is fine though.

The only practical difference with tablets versus powder, is that tablets make it easy to get the dose right and are obviously easy to pop in there.

It won't hurt the grinder to let it go without cleaning, unlike the espresso machine which requires the TLC.  I clean my grinder very often maybe once every two weeks, but once a month is probably more often than necessary.

I hope you get your machine back, and in working order this time!
M_R
M_R

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 4:33pm

Ah ... clear water backflush, eh? - well, that was recommended to me by the delightful woman who supplies my (approximately) monthly kilo of delectable beans, and she even sent me a thinggy to do it with. I've since bought a regular blind filter, and have never forgotten her admonition on this topic.   :-)
It won't hurt the grinder not to be cleaned? - DEO GRATIAS!!! I shall instantly abide by that advice.
I shall also buy tablets so as to facilitate to the max. everything I must from hereon do.
Struth!
It really is a business, this being addicted to coffee... but then, one does get to 'meet' such kind and helpful people.
:-D
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:16pm

I clean out my grinder (espresso grinder) with a coffee bean shaped product from urnex called "Grindz". I do this every pound of beans or so. No set rule for me. I use the blind basket and backflush with water after every coffee session.

Skylar
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:23pm

On my website (URL in teh sig a the bottom of this post), on the RIGHT hand side, see "How To" # 1, 8, and 12.
and this article: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html which discusses why backflushing a machine with a 3-way valve is safe.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
M_R
M_R

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 6:04pm

Ah yes! - in fact, I used that in the days when I had a Gaggia grinder ... which I don't no more 'cause it didn't deliver single shot-sized amount of ground coffee. Now my Sunbeam EM0450 is the darling of my heart - well, second only to the Gaggia Classic itself, of course! - and you guys don't have 'em up there.
This link provides a good reason for halfwits like me to spend all our days in total confusion: the bloke reckons it doesn't grind fine enough! Good GRIEF! you can produce a grind so fine that it will block up all outlets!
OK, I'm prepared to try the Grindz on the Sunbeam. Cain't hoit.   :-)
And I shall also - once I've returned from my local GP's rooms - read up on those pointers, numbers 1,  and 12!
Many thank, guys!
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393484830856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+