Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
M_R
M_R
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043MM
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 3:35pm
Subject: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

I couldn't get the showerscreen off, no matter what I did. I knew there'd be built-up greasy coffee stuff under it and on the bottom of the showerscreen, and after trying for days on end, gave up and took it in to professionals.
The day a friend picked me up in her car to take me and it there (it's bloody heavy for an old broad!), we had a nice coffee each. That was the last time.
It stayed with them from Monday arvo to Friday morning, which was when I collected it.
In the meantime they'd told me on the 'phone that when they took the showerscreen (and head, I'd think) off, they found the water was cloudy with built-up calcium deposit. They couldn't get water to drip through. I was flabbergasted, and asked them if they were sure they were dealing with MY Gaggia? They were.
It's been descaled.
It now doesn't work.
The master professional took me through, on the 'phone, the process of getting rid of an air bubble - which I have, since yesterday morning, entirely forgotten. I'm so stressed out by this that I can't THINK.
This-morning I heated up the Gaggia for 20 minutes or so, then attempted to pull a shot. It took FIFTEEN SECONDS before a single drop appeared, and then that's all that happened - single drops. To pull enough coffee to be called a shot took ONE MINUTE.
Is there, by the faintest chance in the world, anything an old broad who lives alone can do? Please?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 10:33pm
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

Hi, M.R.!

Nice to hear from you again, even under such dreadful circumstances.

First of all, if this happened after a professional cleaning, you should get back to the bloke who did the job. After all, he's liable for the servicing. Secondly, I would like to know what happens when you pull an empty shot. How much water comes out without the portafilter? Have you tried to adjust your grinder accordingly?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
M_R
M_R

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:32pm
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

I shall take it back to him, reluctantly ... My reason for asking in the forum is that my suburb and his are a longish way apart, and I have to put the body of the Gaggia into my shopping trolley, surrounded by many towels, and lug it in to town then onto a bus ... and then a longish walk to get to his shop. I'd hoped vainly that there might be someone saying "Oh, that means that <xxx xxxxxxx x x  xxxxxx> has happened, and all you have to do is <yyyy y y yyyyy yyyyyyyyy>. I know it was a dream, really.   :-(
And the other thing is that as it was working perfectly before I dropped it off there and it is now not working at all,  I just don't have confidence in their being able to fix it. AUD539 it cost, 2 years ago: this is a huge sum for an old lady living on the age pension; and in fact my oldest and dearest friends had sent me $500 fora birthday present. If DiBartoli's have stuffed my Gaggia forever, I shan't know which way to look.
Could you remind me if pulling an empty shot means simply going through the motions as if about to pull a normal shot - i.e., heating it up sufficiently - and then simply pressing the brew switch?
As for adjusting my grinder, it's set as it's been set for the last two years: I'm confused as to why I would adjust that ...
Not being antsy, just deeply troubled and not comprehending ...
M_R
M_R

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 12:41am

Nobby, I tried pressing the brew switch without the gruppa handle there, and drops formed underneath the shower screen and started very slowly to drip through.
Next I added the gruppa handle, and started it all again; and water came out of the left-hand spout only, in a thin trickle.
Are you thinking I should be adjusting the grinder because the servicing may have changed the way the Gaggia brews, maybe?
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 2:52am

Pulling an empty shot means pressing the brew switch without the portafilter in place (or with an empty basket). This is how the flow from the brew group should be: click here. If it only trickles, there'll be something wrong with the machine. So I hope, you won't have to make another crucifying trip.

By the way, M.R., I'm surprised you've never adjusted your grinder for two years. I usually have to change the setting daily to get extraction right, because the required fineness changes with humidity and aging of he beans. Anyway, if the water flows normally from the group head, you should try grinding coarser step by step until you get your espresso just right.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
M_R
M_R

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 1:18pm

OK, I got that right, then - as detailed.
And I shall definitely have to make another trip, inasmuch as the machine has to be got back to DeBartoli's.
Nobby, what can I tell you re the grinder? - the shots I pulled for two years, made from beans bought roughly monthly (it takes me that long to get through a kilo), were great! I simply don't have the degree of expertise that people like yourself do, so I've been perfectly happy.
As to whether I'm ever going to be able to pull another shot with a decent crema, who knows?
:-\
Thanks very much indeed for your input: it has been most appreciated!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 9:56pm

Your most welcome, M.R., but I'm sorry, you'll have to make that trip. Couldn't they pick up the machine at your place?

As far as the grinding is concerned, what really counts in the end is that you enjoy the drink in your cup. There's always room for improvement. But as long as you're happy with your shots, you don't need to change anything. However, adjusting the grinder doesn't require much expertise. Maybe you'll try it one day to improve your espresso.

Please tell us how your horror trip ends. At least in my eyes this repair ought to be on warranty.

M_R
M_R

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 11:51pm

Tomorrow I must lug it in to Bondi Junction.
Then if I want to talk face-to-face with the repair bloke, I must go in again early on Tuesday morning.
Something tells me they won't want me doing that ...
:-\
Anyway, only the gods know how long I'm going to be without it for the second time. And certainly only they know if I'm ever going to have my beautiful Gaggia Classic back working properly.
I've started holding my breath ...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 11:40am

Maybe you should get a back up classic???

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
M_R
M_R

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:44pm

I live on the age pension.
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383306980133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+