Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quick Mill QM67 Noob question
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill QM67...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bure82

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 1:18pm
Subject: Quick Mill QM67 Noob question

Hi,

Just got my qm67 and I am new to dual boiler machine so I just got some noob question to ask.  When the machine initially heat up, does the lower gauge move up to red area and then when the heating on the brew boiler is off, it lower back down?  I thought the lower gauge is for the pump and the pump is not on, why does it move?  The upper gauge, is it normal for it to shoot past the red when it heat up?  Is this normal?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
bure82

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Quick Mill QM67 Noob question

one more question, is the machine suppose to smell kinda funky when it's new
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 1:53pm

No,
no and
no

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 7:28pm

bure82 Said:

Hi,

Just got my qm67 and I am new to dual boiler machine so I just got some noob question to ask.  When the machine initially heat up, does the lower gauge move up to red area and then when the heating on the brew boiler is off, it lower back down?  I thought the lower gauge is for the pump and the pump is not on, why does it move?  The upper gauge, is it normal for it to shoot past the red when it heat up?  Is this normal?

Thanks

Posted August 29, 2013 link

Not to dispute the points of Calblacksmith, who may have misunderstood your statements and he would be correct under other circumstances.

I make the assumption your talking about heating up from cold:

1. Yes the brew gauge would go up, from expansion of water on heating in the sealed brew circuit and at around 12 bar, would vent via the expansion valve.

2. When you switch it off, the pressurised circuit (it generally will hold pressure after a shot due to cool water entering the boiler and expanding after the shot), will gradually lose pressure as the water contracs on cooling

3. The type of insulation used in the QM machines (black foamy stuff) will smell a little funky for the first week or two of heating, plus new electrics and metals often have a coating/factory residue that adds to smells for a few days or even weeks. My Dual Boiler QM Vetrano had an interesting smell for a few weeks, but not really detectable now, even with my sensitive nose. I would also guess that it smells nice and funky when you switch the steam boiler on, again that will pass.....however and electrical overheating smell would not be normal, and for that you should remove the case and inspect the spade connections and wiring.
Giampiero

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano
Grinder: Fiorenzato F5
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 10:25pm

bure82 Said:

Hi,

.....  The upper gauge, is it normal for it to shoot past the red when it heat up?  Is this normal?

Thanks

just a doubt about it, do you mean the needle go beyond the 1,5 pressure mark?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 5:45am

From the operators manual, thank you Chris Coffee.
Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Normal Operation
Gauges
• The top gauge is for your boiler steam pressure. After turning the machine on it will take approximately 15 minutes before the gauge will show any pressure. Once up to pressure the gauge will cycle back and forth roughly between 1.2-1.7 bar depending on the steam boiler temperature setting. Should you need to adjust the steam pressure please refer to the PID section of the owner’s manual.
• The lower gauge is for your pump (brew) pressure. When sitting idle the gauge is reading trapped pressure in the system and may vary. To get an accurate pump pressure reading install your backflush disc in the portafilter and lock it into the grouphead and then raise the brew lever. After a few seconds the pressure should rise to about 9 - 10 bar. When you make espresso the pressure on the gauge will be slightly less at about 8.5 - 9.5 bar which is normal. This can be helpful in setting up your grinder. If your pressure goes to 9 - 10 bar with the backflush disc, but when you make espresso it is less than 8 bar then that means you need to go finer with your grind which will create more resistance to raise the pressure. Should you need to adjust the pump pressure please refer to the maintenance section of the owner’s manual for instructions on setting the pump pressure.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

bure82

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 6:53am

Giampiero Said:

just a doubt about it, do you mean the needle go beyond the 1,5 pressure mark?

yes.  I lower the temp on the steam boiler and now it's around 1.5 bar
bure82

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 6:57am

DavecUK Said:

Not to dispute the points of Calblacksmith, who may have misunderstood your statements and he would be correct under other circumstances.

I make the assumption your talking about heating up from cold:

Yes the brew gauge would go up, from expansion of water on heating in the sealed brew circuit and at around 12 bar, would vent via the expansion valve.

When you switch it off, the pressurised circuit (it generally will hold pressure after a shot due to cool water entering the boiler and expanding after the shot), will gradually lose pressure as the water contracs on cooling

The type of insulation used in the QM machines (black foamy stuff) will smell a little funky for the first week or two of heating, plus new electrics and metals often have a coating/factory residue that adds to smells for a few days or even weeks. My Dual Boiler QM Vetrano had an interesting smell for a few weeks, but not really detectable now, even with my sensitive nose. I would also guess that it smells nice and funky when you switch the steam boiler on, again that will pass.....however and electrical overheating smell would not be normal, and for that you should remove the case and inspect the spade connections and wiring.

thanks, was worry about that weird smell.  I never had a machine that smells like this.  I popped the lid and everything looks fine on the inside.  Lol the smell was not nice at all.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 8:17am

Glad it worked out for you.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Deniss

Espresso: Quickmill QM67
Grinder: Compak E10 Master
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 8:36am

Hi,

I received my QM67 2 weeks ago, and i had the same smell that is almost gone now but still present, and brew gage is also going up from a cold start. My machine works perfectly, the only downside is, i may have prefer the Vetrano DB, but we must draw the line somewhere.

I do not understand the strategy of Quickmill of placing those 2 machines with such small difference in price ?

Regards

Deniss: 100_1542.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill QM67...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413642883301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+