Espresso: Espresso Machines
NS Musica - Can't pull a shot..?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Musica -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Trynix

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 7:34am
Subject: NS Musica - Can't pull a shot..?

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to espresso machines, and recently got me an NS Musica based on recommendations of friends.

Filled up the reservoir,  turned it on to heat for 40-45 minutes, grind the coffee using Vario-w with a finer-fine quality of C-4, let out the condensate from the steam nozzle, allowed some water to come out of the gasket, put the grind onto the portafilter (the 1-doze one with the smaller filter), fixed it in and pressed the 1 cup button.... nothing comes out. I hear the machine trying to release but nothing comes out. once the machine stopped, 1 or 2 droplets came out.

I removed the PF, seeing the coffee darker due to the water. Pressed the 1 cup button without the PF and water came out streaming.

What am I doing wrong..?
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 7:47am
Subject: Re: NS Musica - Can't pull a shot..?

The one cup button may be set to dispense a little water and not enough to brew a shot.

Try the 2 cup button which should be set for higher water dispensing .

If you have a manual button use that to set the shot grind correctly first then you can adjust the volumetric cup buttons once the grind is set.

The grind could also be set to fine thus choking the machine.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 8:34am

Unfortunately that machine has a brew thermoblock and pressurized potafilters - the first 75 sold with a blade grinder that is highly prized by collectors today. That you can make anything drinkable is amazing.

Or maybe this is a serious piece of kit - daily god shots should be expected - fresh roasted beans ground fresh should put you on the right track...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
matster

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema E91 diplomat 2group,...
Grinder: Mazzer super jolly
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 8:35am

good morning, I'm with csme on the grind either being too fine or over tamped. I would run the group with water only in to a measuring cup and see how much water is dispensing. Anything less then an 1.5 oz  is not enough water for a shot. Here is a link for programming instructions if needed. Click Here (www.nuovasimonelliusa.com)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 11:10am

NS Musica is a step up from NS Oscar and it is not a thermoblock.   It is a HX, with volumeteric dosing that has a nicely balanced thermosyphon and no pressurized filters.  I expect that you have the grind to tight or too much in the filter as well as the shot volume on your buttons might be off.

Get a scale that can do .1 grams and keep the amount of coffee in the filter consistent.  You can even weigh your shot after and know the ratio of water to grinds to know what you are getting in 27 seconds. (that is what I shot for but it can be anywhere from 25 -30) I use 18g for my doubles with an 18g VST filter. The buttons will give your consistent amount of water.  The more you keep the variables consistent the easier it is to trouble shoot what is going on.

Read the guide to better home espresso at
http://www.espressomyespresso.com/  

Ratios
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Adjusting by taste
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Good videos to watch
http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/university/training/

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 9:53pm

EricBNC Said:

Unfortunately that machine has a brew thermoblock and pressurized potafilters - the first 75 sold with a blade grinder that is highly prized by collectors today. That you can make anything drinkable is amazing.

Posted August 25, 2013 link

I know you are being sarcastic, but the OP may not see it that way. That's not exactly the right way to treat a new poster looking for advice anyway. Especially considering that your response could be misconstrued as real information.

Regardless...

The key to any good shot is consistency, like Noobie said. Weigh your input dose, weigh your output and don't use the volumetric buttons until you are sure you can get the output weight that you want.
If you can't weigh your shots just yet, grind enough to make a mountain in the portafilter, level it off with a straightedge or a flat edged knife and make sure to tamp consistently and evenly. Use the double
shotglass method to judge volume over time. (ie. Roughly 2 fl.oz over 20-30 seconds)

Loosen up your grind or lower the dosage. Only if you continue to choke the machine on a 14 gram input dose should you consider loosening up grind.

It takes a bit of time to dial in the grinder correctly for the dosage you want. We call that "Dialing in" the grinder and usually results in about 3-4 sink shots before you get something decent. Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Flori

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 10:22pm

they have said almost all of it. hope it is ok now.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
Trynix

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 7:56am

Vario-w has a macro grind setting of 1 to 10. I have gone up to 5 right now with no positive result yet. The 1 shot releases nothing, the 2 shot releases droplets.

To diagnose it further, I have uploaded a video of the water coming out for the 1 shot button. Does the water quantity seem enough?
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=25u3btj&s=5
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 8:07am

For an empty shot that looks pretty normal. It seems to me you're still in the process of dialing in your grinder, so grind coarser and forget the numbers printed on the Vario.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:11am

Let us start at the beginning:

There is a big adjustment (number) and and a small adjustment (letter) on your grinder. I rarely move the big one and most days just move the small one 2 clicks up a day. For me as my coffee ages I bump up the letters about 2 a day.

I adjusted my Vario w grinder very fine.  I end up so that my normal grind is 2 k and as the coffee ages it goes up to 2 b.  I rarely go above that as I freeze my coffee in small batches so about the time is getting close to 2a I am out of coffee and have to get another batch out of the freezer. Very dark roast coffee gets into the 1n range but I really don't like coffee that dark.

You said 1 and 2 were drips. So, if I were you and I would set my grinder for 3 m and pull a shot.  Then if it still is droplets I would try 3 p, 3 s, 3 v,  so on till I got a tiny thin stream.  That is your starting point for the coffee you have now.  If it still chokes try 4 k and try a few settings down from k.  

Also, if there is too much coffee in your portafilter it doesn't have room to expand when the water hits it and it chokes the machine.  I use 18-19 g in an 18 g VST basket.  If I put 22g in that basket even if the grind was correct it would choke the machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Musica -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383553028107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+