Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville BES840XL Owner's Thread
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 3:50pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES840XL Owner's Thread

MJW Said:

Thanks for your input.

Posted August 21, 2013 link

Life is a journey. Have fun! I started out with a machine that most here would call a total piece of junk... and I had a lot of fun with it. I don't consider it a mistake... I consider it a learning process. If your happy with what you have, use it, have fun and if you stay interested and learn, you may soon (or later) decide you want something else.  Not everything in life is a big decision. Everyone seems to have their own vices that they spend their hard earned money on. Some are far worse than buying the wrong espresso machine. Have fun with it. Enjoy life... hug your kids and kiss your S/O... be thankful! Whatever you decide to use there is plenty of us here that will be willing to help you get the most out of it. I'm done (putting my soap box away).
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 4:16pm

Your welcome.
for those readers of this thread who like to use facts and reason, I offer the following.
The possible benefits of a well operating thermoblock,coil,square or whatever shape are many.
Lower weight
Lower parts count
Lower maintaining costs
Smaller size
Rapid temp changes for profiling shots
Lower power consumption
No excessive wasteful heat escaping into the room thus causing higher energy use for cooling the room
And lets not forget much lower cost to produce than a boiler type machine thus a lower selling price.

The result would be a less expensive machine to buy, operate and to maintain. This would give the manufacturer of this machine a huge advantage in the market place while offering for sale a machine that can produce equal or better end results in the cup as a boiler type of machine .

I can think of no other market that would jump on this as fast as possible than the commercial market would where competition is cut throat and machines cost tens of thousands of dollars. A realm where manufacturers may have 4 or more boilers per machine to allow the user to have a different temp for each grouphead and a steam boiler too.

If they could reduce all that cost to offer a smaller, more flexable, lower operating cost and a significantly lower priced machine, the world would beat a path to their door, the world would be at their feet.

So if all the above is true, I doubt anyone would argue that it isn't,  why are thermocoils only found for use in making steam such as the CC1, or on low end starter machines?

Edit,  the other question that needs to be asked is Has the most profitable and advanced part of the industry missed the next big thing since sliced bread though the tech has been around for decades, or is it that they know something that beginners dont know?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 10:38pm

DeanOK Said:

I started out with a machine that most here would call a total piece of junk...

Don't worry.  The people who have the most strongly held opinions are often the least able to back them up with objective evidence, data, and argument.  So the question isn't whether loud people would call your machine a total piece of junk.  The question is, is it a total piece of junk?

DeanOK Said:

If your happy with what you have

Have I said anything to make you think I'm not happy with what I have?

DeanOK Said:

Whatever you decide to use

Have I said anything to make you think I'm trying to decide which espresso machine to use?

DeanOK Said:

there is plenty of us here that will be willing to help you get the most out of it.

Is that what you're doing now, helping me get the most out of it?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 3:18am

I'm sorry, I made a formatting error, I did not space my paragraphs properly, I thought the addressing to the readers interested in facts and reason, after I said you were welcome for my input,( which you still  are), would be enough to indicate that I was mainly speaking to a casual reader, sorry for the confusion.

I have helped hundreds of people in their journey with espresso. I have nothing to prove to anyone. If something is the size of a duck, color of a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck,  smells like a duck and tastes like a duck you don't need double blind studies to reach the reasonable conclusion that it is a duck.

As to helping you, you have rejected the advice to return it and buy something else which is the best option.

Often people will fight to the death to defend  a poor choice in the face of reasoned arguments and resort to attacks on character to deflect what they do not want to face. Our government is full of them.

I can see no further benefit to anyone  in  a tit for tat discussion here with you, please by all means enjoy your purchase.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 3:32am

Seattle Coffee Gear has a nice video showing this machine in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCdhfNd5GK0

Looks good!

Phil "Mr Breville" McKnight answers some questions about the technology used in The Infuser in this Australian forum thread:

Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 3:50am

Eric,  I agree that those videos are entertaining sales tools, I often watch them. :-)

Mr. Phil "Mr Breville" McKnight should strongly advise his board of directors to enter the commercial market, they will make a killing... or did I miss something?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:21am

Wayne I agree my brother. I appreciate your passion too. If it helps one person its worth it.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:56pm

Eric,  I agree that those videos are entertaining sales tools, I often watch them.:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

MJW

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:06pm
Subject: Other thermoblock machines

On the subject of thermoblocks.  In Australia there's a company named Sunbeam that makes (?) the EM6910 and EM7000 espresso machines, which are twin thermoblock machines.  Like the 840 they are designed for unpressurized baskets and include proper portafilters (the 840 has 54mm, but the Sunbeams use 58mm).

The 6910 has been around for a while and so there exists at least some information about it.

In the U.S., the 6910 appears to be available in the form of the Krups XP618050.  It looks identical to the Sunbeam, but I haven't seen a lot of info on the Krups model.  (The Krups appears not to come with unpressurized baskets although it does take them.)

I hadn't known about this Krups model until now.  Do you get the feeling sometimes that all these companies are fronts, and are all rebranding the same stuff?

EDIT:

I meant to mention the Pasquini Livietta T2,  which is another dual thermoblock design.

And, CMIN reminded me about the ZPM Nocturn.
MJW

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 2:35pm
Subject: Brew temperature

I made a quick experiment to measure brew temperatures by threading a thermocouple up the portafilter spout.

Over 5 double shots, about 30 s each, I get 201-203*F flat or possibly slightly rising* temperature readings.  In the portafilter is a dual wall single basket, underneath is the rubber disk, I use it to hold the thermocouple.  So the probe is measuring the water temp squirting out of the hole in the dual-wall basket.

*Possibly rising because the thermometer isn't perfectly fast.  Once up to temp the readings did hold fast so I think it's flat within 2*F.
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.511353969574)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+