Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 2:14pm
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

Sorry, if the backflush comment was aimed at my above post.  I printed up condensed information that I found from the Urnex site, and included the backflush information as I had stored it and then pasted it all here.  I realize that you were not talking about backflush.  I do backflush with a Gaggia "cleaning" tablet because I purchased some when I got the machine.  The Urnex information came up as a recurring question and I will probably use that when I need more supply.

I am aware that Gaggia does not say to backflush.  If I read my Classic manual correctly the only service that should be attempted by the user is descale.  I believe from reading in the forum that most machines with 3 way valve get backflushed, or eventually the 3 way does not work well.  YMMV

You can search Citric and aluminum.  Many feel that a short exposure to citric or other acid for descale will not hurt the machine.  It should be flushed thoroughly when done.  Some say to check the ph of your water and make sure that it is not acidic and add a pinch of HCO3/baking soda if it is, as the aluminum with have trouble with long term acid exposure.  Some will not use aluminum boilers or cook pans.  But, a whole other subject...

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
M_R
M_R

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043MM
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: the Gaggia Classic Halfwit needs help after work done by professionals

YMMV?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 3:04pm

M_R Said:

YMMV?

Posted August 26, 2013 link

Standard disclaimer in automobile gas milage, the car get 50 miles per gallon, but your milage may vary.  Common internet/forum term for your results may vary, you may choose to do things differently, or that is my opinion and yours may vary.

For reference is you come across something like this, you can type it Google or another search and find it :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
M_R
M_R

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 3:16pm

I tried to do that; but to my rage and impotent fury, something has interfered with my Google search; and when I enter a search term the result is shown in Google Translate.
Trying to solve that one oughta keep me busy for a while ...
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 5:53pm

M_R Said:

click here
This bloke says, as anyone following the link will find,
"IMPORTANT NOTE! None of the domestic espresso machine manufacturers recommend backflushing, and any damage that occurs while you're doing it will not be covered by warranty!"
Putting aside for the moment all the input re kind of descaling cleaner to use, I am flabbergasted by that quote: Renzo told me that I should backflush on a regular basis!
I had been about to write: all this about descaling isn't frightfully relevant to me inasmuch as I can't get the same stuff that you guys can; so I think I might stick to backflushing ... and then I read the above.
It's a trap for young players, all this - and for old. Everyone has a different opinion. Everyone has stories to tell about how good/bad it was doing X/Y.
As far as I can see, you can't win.
:-|
(I expect to hear from the electrician some time today, Nobby ...)

Yeah, and a decade ago that was absolutely true. These days Lelit, for instance, include a blind filter in the box.

Alan
M_R
M_R

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 6:24pm

A decade ago WHAT was absolutely true, Alan? - I'm guessing you mean that warning against backflushing ...
So that page is out of date?
I'm rendered very nervous about both descaling and backflushing now: it seems that either operation is fraught with danger.
Having just had Renzo 'phone to tell me that the bloody electrician has called in sick today and won't be back till tomorrow (if then), it's all seeming rather academic: I'm beginning to think I'll never have my beautiful machine back.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 10:43pm

M_R Said:

all this about descaling isn't frightfully relevant to me inasmuch as I can't get the same stuff that you guys can; so I think I might stick to backflushing

Now, backflushing and descaling is a whole different thing. While backflushing removes coffee oil residues that otherwise would cake up, go rancid and deteriorate taste, descaling removes calcium deposits inside the boiler and pipes that can clog the machine and damage the heating elements. However, you can only backflush machines with a solenoid valve, such as the Gaggia Classic.

The safest way of descaling your machine is to use Gaggia's own stuff.

alanfrew Said:

These days Lelit, for instance, include a blind filter in the box.

So does Rocket Espresso.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
M_R
M_R

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 11:47pm

It's not available in Australia: I've looked and looked, and called suppliers of cleaning stuff. They all say, of course, that one doesn't need the Gaggia product, that any of the reputable brands will do.
If I do ever get my machine back in working order, I'll be looking into this VERY carefully, you may be sure...
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 12:45am

Most descaling agents actually contain citric acid, so they're not much good for your machine. There's an alternative product, though: Is Durgol Swiss Espresso descaler available in Australia?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
M_R
M_R

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 1:22am

Yes! - I can buy it through fishpond.com.au. Wunderbar, Nobby!
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > the Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.4312748909)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+