Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura-Capresso Impressa S8, anyone own/have experience with it?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura-Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
man114

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico,...
Drip: Norelco Dial A Brew
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 7:23am
Subject: Jura-Capresso Impressa S8, anyone own/have experience with it?

I'm new to the forum, and came here because I have some questions about the machine.

I found one of these yesterday in like new condition at Goodwill for $16 with the milk frothing attachment, filter cartridges, descaling tabs, manuals and everything, so I figured I'd give it a try and see how it is.

It took me a while to get it up and running as it apparently had air in the pump, but got it going last night after much fussing around. Wasn't about to drink coffee at 3 in the morning so I waited until now to make some (I discarded the first couple of shots to clean out any residue that may have been in the machine after the rince cycle).

Up until this time I've been using a Saeco Classico which has soldiered on for years.

The machine is a nice idea but since I can't seem to get a really good shot out of it, now the only coffee I had was some Mother Parker's that I had picked up from a local overstock dealer to try (can't resist trying anything that has the potential to be good and have never heard of). I think the main problem is not the coffee itself but the internal grinder, I'm not sure how fine to set it because it is difficult to determine from the wet grounds how fine it is grinding the coffee.

I tried messing around with the settings for strengths for cup sizes and it didn't make a substantial amount of difference, it changed the strength of the coffee but the overall results were similar.

I'd blame the unknown coffee but was able to get decent results out of it with the Saeco as long as I could monitor the grind.

I'm looking for anyone with some experience in regards to this machine or other similar models that could tell me what kind of results they were able to achieve with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 8:19am
Subject: Re: Jura-Capresso Impressa S8, anyone own/have experience with it?

Check for videos on YouTube from Seattle Coffee Gear (SCG) or on their website.
Since you got it used, it could have suffered some damage in the grinder burrs that is not allowing it to brew decently.
I think it has an opening on top for preground coffee. Get some fresh coffee beans and use that to see if it is any different.
Some (all?) of the Jura's are more adept at making something more like a cup of coffee than a "real" espresso.
The upper-end Jura's programming is quite complicated and so it can take some time to go through all the choices.
One weakness of the Jurra machines is that the brew group is no removable for cleaning and user service, so if there is some thing wrong with that you are paddless up the creek.
Have you used the cleaning tablets and run a cleaning cycle?
And the bottom line is that the super auto machines are generally not looked well upon and you are experiencing why.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
man114

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:27am

I cleaned it pretty well last night but didn't run the tablets through the unit had very few cups on it (the setting in the menu lets you know cups it has done and it wouldn't have been enough to even use up a filter cartridge) and for the most part looks pratically brand new. Supposedly it is supposed to let you know when it needs the cleaning according to the manual, I may try it.

I'm guessing someone got an expensive gift they didn't want, need or know how to use.

I maxed out the strength settings and fooled around with the settings and after a couple of experiments with some of the setting changes and grind and I was able to get a fairly decent result. I actually don't believe who had this before even used the grinder, it looks like they were using preground stuff.

I'm going to pick up some different beans when I'm out later as at the moment this is all I have, they were roasted on August 2nd or something so they're not the freshest. Maybe grind some up seperately and dump them in and try and match the setting with the internal grinder.

I pretty much figured a superauto would limit what results could be achieved but push button convenience on those mornings you're running late seemed like an appeal and I really couldn't argue with the price, I'll probably hang onto it if I can get decent results simply for convenience if the results are decent enough.

I mean in a sense it does appear to be operating properly but does not quite achieve the same results I was able to get out of the Saeco doing it manually, its better than say the Braun pump one I've got in the closet.

I'll report back later after I fool around with it some more and watch the videos.
man114

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 8:47am

After much fussing I was able to get more reasonable shots out of it. I've had worse from the wrong people at a coffee shops so I'm on the right track. Doesn't quite beat the Saeco but you simply can't beat the convenience, once you've got it pretty well dialed in it is just push a button you're done. I can see the appeal, if you just want to stick the cup under the spout, press the button and you're done.
man114

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 4:36pm

So now that I have had this thing for a few months, I had time to fiddle around with it extensively. Beans that are not super oily work better, I did run a cleaning tab through it. You have to adjust the grind every time you switch beans. Once you get the desired strength programmed in you are not bad off, you get decent shots at Keurig push of the button convenience, it heats up faster and the coffee quality is superior.

The largest drawbacks are you get decent control but it still isn't as good as doing it yourself, you sacrifice some quality.

The machine is automatic enough but after a bunch of cups you have to clean the tray which is too shallow and I am assuming most of the machines based on the design will have the same issue. If you use it daily you basically run through half a roll of paper towels to keep it clean every week.

Best suited to fast decent quality in the morning, or if you have guests and want to rattle off a bunch of cups ASAP.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura-Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286004066467)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+