Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Isomac models with PID
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 5:01am
Subject: New Isomac models with PID

So Isomac has jumped the bandwagon and offers their 2013 models of the Kia and Tea with a PID, which is hardly more than a marketing gimmick. After all, these are still E61 HX machines, so you cannot control brewing temperature directly with the PID. So if you're interested in a Isomac Kia or Tea, safe some money and get the regular machines. You might like to invest in a better grinder.

Any thoughts?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 10:22pm
Subject: Re: New Isomac models with PID

I can see why they did it.

I agree that PID control for a HX is pointless for regulating brew temperature, but think of it this way... It's replacing a pressurestat. The heater is probably being controlled by a Solid State Relay.
By eliminating the electromechanical components out of the machine, this increases its reliability. It also quiets it down, no more "click-clunk" every minute or so.

Izzo has been doing this with their Alex for years and it works quite well. If anything, what the PID is regulating is steam temperature to regulate pressure.

What I've heard though is that some baristas prefer pressurestats because they react much faster than a PID and do a better job of keeping the steam boiler at the right pressure.

Is a PID better than a pressurestat when being used in an HX machine? That's a whole other thread to discuss. :)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 10:46pm

Well, Bud, to me a PID on an HX machine is, like Wayne (calblacksmith) once put it, nothing but eye candy. The pressostat is able to keep the temperature of the steam boiler within 1C (2F) which is stable enough. As far as the noise is concerned, the pressostat of my Opus One, which is identical in construction to the Isomac Millenium, makes hardly any noticable clicking.

Then again due to age, maybe I'm a little hard of hearing. ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 11:06pm

NobbyR Said:

Well, Bud, to me a PID on an HX machine is, like Wayne (calblacksmith) once put it, nothing but eye candy.

Posted September 1, 2013 link

Well, In theory, one could design the machine so that the PID is "Under the covers", especially if one would only adjust it very seldomly.
Regardless, I'd always want to look at the pressure gauge anyway instead of the boiler temperature.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 1:26am

qualin Said:

(...), one could design the machine so that the PID is "Under the covers",  (...)

Posted September 1, 2013 link

That's what Rocket Espresso did with the R58, but that's a dual boiler like your Duetto, so the PID makes sense.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 2:32am

I owned an Isomac Tea a few years ago, fitted with a miniature pressurestat at that time, although I can't recall whether it was a mater or the other make that escapes me.  I never trusted it. It "fizzled" when it switched off, and the neon flickered.  I would never have left it switched on and unattended for more than a few minutes.  Although within spec. I think the full 1400w at 230v is too much for those miniature type pressurestats, and they arc and degrade the contacts after a while.  

Things may be different in 110v versions, as I think the pressurestat just drives a SSR in those models, so virtually no power running through them, but unless things have changed, the 230v versions were directly in series with the heater.  For that reason alone I'd vote for a purely electronic boiler control, even at the cost of some lag when turning on the steam perhaps.  

As to whether it needs the full sophistication of a PID control.....well, no, pointless on that score.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361655950546)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+