Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
We're opening a new coffee shop - so which espresso machine?!?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > We're opening a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
diyroberts

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 12:25pm
Subject: We're opening a new coffee shop - so which espresso machine?!?

Hi all,

Great to find a place to get solid advice!

So myself and a business partner are opening a new Coffee shop in Cardiff. We're new to this industry - but through our extensive research we still have queries therefore we'd like to get some advice from industry experts.

So, which machine would you suggest if we're estimating 200 cups per day (75 in our busiest hour)? Further to this, we're considering weather to buy it outright or lease - advice would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts!

Thanks
Will
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 1:57pm
Subject: Re: We're opening a new coffee shop - so which espresso machine?!?

Welcome to CG!  

200 cups per day is on the low side but ideal for a start IMO.  I have heard of some cafe's making that much per hour.  I would think about investing in a good 2 group machine or larger.  They can handle 100-200 espresso's per hour without any disruption in heat in the boiler.  If you choose a machine that cant handle the demand then you will end up serving warm, sour espresso.  I wouldn't finance or lease a machine.  Once you get business you will earn enough cash to pay off the machine in several months or less.  This  video will explain things for you a bit.  

Here is an example of a good machine I think will suite your needs.  
Rancilio Epoca E2 Group
This machine can handle 240 espresso's per hour.

Some top brands are Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco, Rocket.  IME I have found that Rancilio makes machines that are more on the affordable side.  I refurbed an old VFA 2 group machine but I will be eventually be replacing it with the machine mentioned above.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 3:30pm

Standard Business Advice:

Service is most important.  Downtime is lost money. Who is around to service it and what type do they like to service the most.

Roasters often will lease/give/discount machines if you sign a coffee contract.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 5:55pm

diyroberts Said:

So myself and a business partner are opening a new Coffee shop in Cardiff. We're new to this industry
Will

Posted August 18, 2013 link

Find out what your barista has experience with and is comfortable with. From those narrowed options, see what you can get from a dealer that offers service calls in your area, stocks parts and has good reviews. Far better to fill your barista's requirements than this list's.
diyroberts

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 1:31pm

Burner0000 Said:

Welcome to CG!  

200 cups per day is on the low side but ideal for a start IMO.  I have heard of some cafe's making that much per hour.  I would think about investing in a good 2 group machine or larger.  They can handle 100-200 espresso's per hour without any disruption in heat in the boiler.  If you choose a machine that cant handle the demand then you will end up serving warm, sour espresso.  I wouldn't finance or lease a machine.  Once you get business you will earn enough cash to pay off the machine in several months or less.  This  video will explain things for you a bit.  

Here is an example of a good machine I think will suite your needs.  
Rancilio Epoca E2 Group
This machine can handle 240 espresso's per hour.

Some top brands are Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco, Rocket.  IME I have found that Rancilio makes machines that are more on the affordable side.  I refurbed an old VFA 2 group machine but I will be eventually be replacing it with the machine mentioned above.

Hello,

Thank you for this advice, it has given us a lot of food for thought!
diyroberts

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 1:32pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Standard Business Advice:

Service is most important.  Downtime is lost money. Who is around to service it and what type do they like to service the most.

Roasters often will lease/give/discount machines if you sign a coffee contract.

Thank you!
diyroberts

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 1:33pm

SStones Said:

Find out what your barista has experience with and is comfortable with. From those narrowed options, see what you can get from a dealer that offers service calls in your area, stocks parts and has good reviews. Far better to fill your barista's requirements than this list's.

I totally understand, we will find out
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 3:01pm

Pardon my wrench in the rotating parts but:

So you do your pro-forma income statements, which include the Lamborgini of Espresso Machines, or not.

In my humble experience, a stellar espresso shot is only possible within ten days of the roast. A creamy sweet espresso coffee shot falls into the cup over the next twenty to thirty seconds; crema tsunami, if you are within ten days.  Just for chuckles, go 30 one the same bean/roast/grind and you will see a sink shot.  

You can run a successful coffee related business without losing sleep at night over your beans, if you wish.  Make sure you have it sorted out, in your business thinking, what you want to be and what you claim to be.  

Machine  or Coffee
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 3:23pm

The only thing more frightening I think I have heard before was when I was picking up an advertising payment for my newspaper, sitting on a stool in a local bar. A stranger sitting next to me asked, "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > We're opening a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415823936462)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+