Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 91 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:28am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

sharky Said:

Wahoo!  Mine is bought & paid for so I am sooooo excited!  With 9 pages of interest, this looks like a truly great machine to own for years to come!

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Mine too.. now I am praying for no shipping damage and no warranty issues. Mostly worried about shipping. Sometimes UPS can tear up an anvil and they never pay for shipping damage. The only way UPS pays is if they lose the item.
 View Profile Link to this post
Zevi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:27am

DeanOK Said:

Mine too.. now I am praying for no shipping damage and no warranty issues. Mostly worried about shipping. Sometimes UPS can tear up an anvil and they never pay for shipping damage. The only way UPS pays is if they lose the item.

Excitedly and anxiously waiting for my boxes too....  

Here's what I think/plan: CCS said that it will require signature upon delivery. In other words, the shipper will NOT leave the box at your doorstep. I intend to be there (or brief whoever is going to sign for the box), inspect the box for outstanding damages, and simply not accept it if it appears torn or too damaged.  Yes, as we have seen with our Australian friend, inside damage was significant even though the box was only slightly dented, so this is not a guarantee -- but it gives you at least the chance for an initial inspection of the box.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:36am

My UPS driver is actually pretty solid and a really nice guy. It's all the UPS guys between when it leaves CCS (I assume they're also on really good terms with them) and my delivery guy that I'm worried about ;)

I've already lined up vacation days to ensure that I'm here on the expected delivery date, and the next day so I can properly install, set up and dial in the V2B.

Just to moderate people's shipping time expectations though, I think CCS does open, test, measure and calibrate each machine before shipping (they even set the temperature offset so your actual PID reading is what is at the brew group, not the boiler temp). With over 30 preorders, I'm sure this may take them a while, so even though the machines will get there on Monday, depending on where you are in the queue it may not ship for a while later.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:56am

Zevi Said:

Excitedly and anxiously waiting for my boxes too....  

Here's what I think/plan: CCS said that it will require signature upon delivery. In other words, the shipper will NOT leave the box at your doorstep. I intend to be there (or brief whoever is going to sign for the box), inspect the box for outstanding damages, and simply not accept it if it appears torn or too damaged.  Yes, as we have seen with our Australian friend, inside damage was significant even though the box was only slightly dented, so this is not a guarantee -- but it gives you at least the chance for an initial inspection of the box.

Well, we may be over reacting a bit. I have originated  over 35,000 shipments with UPS in the last few years and for the most part they do a good job. However, every now and then they can put one through the meat grinder. The extra weight is probably the biggest aggravating factor. UPS is still the best in the states as far as I am concerned. We used to file claims for reimbursement for shipping damage and finally just quit worrying with it... they have so many packaging rules that it is cheaper for us to pay for the damaged items that it would be to pay extra shipping costs and packaging to do it the way they want it... and then I expect they would still find a reason to deny the claim.  In the case of a $2000.00 shipment that is easily damaged, you need to package it well anyway and try to be within the shippers guidelines. But my feeling is that CCS will still be left holding the bag for shipping damage and they probably have already built a little money into their pricing to allow for that. They have been doing this a while.

I got off topic, but the bottom line is UPS is as good as they can do with a reasonable shipping cost (in my opinion).
Mort108
Mort108

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:08am

I suspect shipping via pallet is cost prohibitive???
CarloM

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:15am

Yes pallet is cost prohibitive (unless you're willing to pay for it). CCS does it for the GS3 and likely their commercial lines but that's because those machines are expensive and the profit margins can justify including that cost in the cost of the machine, but not for anything in the $2600 and under range.

I agree that UPS in general is pretty good. So unless someone's having a really terrible day...let's all just knock on wood! :)

Also, this isn't CCS's first rodeo. They've shipped a lot of machines and grinders over many years using UPS, so I'm going to bet they know how to pack them in such a way to increase the survivability rate when being transported.

The tough thing about refusing to sign/accept a damaged package is that looks can be deceiving. I have had an LCD TV package come in with a big hole in the side and I knew it was broken/damaged. The hole was right over the least-enforced part of the box, right over the screen. But UPS (or FedEx, I can't remember) left it without signature so I opened it. The TV was completely unmarked and worked perfectly. I've had another piece of electronics come through with no sign of trauma to the box, and could hear something rattling inside and it wouldn't power on.

Just luck of the draw. May the shipping gods be with us!
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:33am

CarloM Said:

Yes pallet is cost prohibitive

We get pallets every week.... it certainly does not guarantee much in the way of shipping damage. With a product like a B2, I would rather see it double boxed & well packaged. A double box with wood corners would be even better.
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:43am

DeanOK Said:

Well, we may be over reacting a bit. I have originated  over 35,000 shipments with UPS in the last few years ...

... the bottom line is UPS is as good as they can do with a reasonable shipping cost (in my opinion).

No disagreement here on how well UPS do their job (especially the drivers). They would not be a successful business if that was not the case. However, I'm not sure that planning to refuse a box if it has obvious tears and damages is "over-reacting." CCS do a great job packaging, they said they have not had shipping damages incidents, so there's no reason to assume that such damage will occur. But we all know that S#$% happens, rare as it may be, and I would rather not receive a damaged box to begin with, than deal with returns and compensations. My comment was simply in response to Carlos' concerns regarding shipment damages.
CarloM

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 9:35am

Or a UPS plane could crash...eek!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/us/alabama-cargo-plane-crash
Mort108
Mort108

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:08am

There is a great store here that I have used in the past when I sold some high end electronic equipment on ebay...they create a custom injection foam mold around the item, then will double box it if you wish...all at a really resonable price..
showing page 91 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.456780910492)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+