Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 237 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:47am
Subject: That sounds a bit unusual.

Here in Arizona during the summer the weather can go from dry to wet and back again a few times in any given summer day. At first I was suspecting you might be seeing the results of a similar weather change. For example, all my grinders required (what I would call) a significant adjustment this morning to get the same pours I was getting yesterday.

I make it a point to wipe my screen with a dry rag before each shot and get varying amounts of moisture and coffee off each time, so I was thinking this is what you are experiencing. However, it sounds like you have more moisture than any atmospheric change could account for.

Here's the thing- If you have some sort of leak then the pump would most likely come on at some point to refill the boiler. Can you leave it on long enough without it going to sleep and see if the pump comes on occasionally with out you pulling shots? Leave a shot glass under the porta filter and see what it collects over time.

Also, try back flushing without chemical. Do you get a lot of coffee grounds when you're finished? Maybe there are grounds that need to be cleaned out. Heck, do a chemical auto-clean too, that might help if you have a physical particle in the way somewhere.

As Donner said, I wouldn't sweat (sorry, couldn't resist) it too much if your shots are tasting/pulling right. I hope you get it worked out with a few cleaning cycles. I'm no espresso tech, rather I'm just sharing some thoughts on what could be happening with your machine, good luck!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JMFishtown
JMFishtown
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:01am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Jay sometimes my portafilter is dry and sometimes it's got a bit of collected water in it. It usually depends on what the environment is like in my home.  The only thing that I would worry about is if the group head is leaking, meaning a seal somewhere in the brew path is bad.  To test this turn the machine on, leave the portafilter off, and make sure everything around the machine is dry. Then place a dry paper towel on top of the drip tray and leave it there for a while, if you come back and the paper towel is wet now you know it's not condensation, if you come back and the paper towel is dry then you know it is!

I think the difference between the A and the B models is the B portafilter has larger lugs and creates a tighter seal at the grouphead, this would support the condensation hypothesis as there is less heat/air transfer in the new model.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:16am
Subject: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

hi everyone im thinking of getting a preciso, although i have a vario i want to pull different beans and i dont want to mess with 1 setting with another so i decided to get another grinder. so im eyeing on preciso for its manual pour over grinds.

so i want to know if anyone here is using preciso and does it serve well for the dual boiler? can it choke the bdb?

thanks

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
JayGo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 4:45am
Subject: Re: That sounds a bit unusual.

PrescottCR Said:

Here's the thing- If you have some sort of leak then the pump would most likely come on at some point to refill the boiler. Can you leave it on long enough without it going to sleep and see if the pump comes on occasionally with out you pulling shots? Leave a shot glass under the porta filter and see what it collects over time.

Also, try back flushing without chemical. Do you get a lot of coffee grounds when you're finished? Maybe there are grounds that need to be cleaned out. Heck, do a chemical auto-clean too, that might help if you have a physical particle in the way somewhere.

Posted August 16, 2013 link

I have left it on for about half a day, but it did not seem like it came back on after going into hibernation.
I will try and clean for testing.
It was like this the first day I got it as a replacement, so I am assuming it wasn't the cleaning issue.

JMFishtown Said:

The only thing that I would worry about is if the group head is leaking, meaning a seal somewhere in the brew path is bad.  To test this turn the machine on, leave the portafilter off, and make sure everything around the machine is dry. Then place a dry paper towel on top of the drip tray and leave it there for a while, if you come back and the paper towel is wet now you know it's not condensation, if you come back and the paper towel is dry then you know it is!

I think the difference between the A and the B models is the B portafilter has larger lugs and creates a tighter seal at the grouphead, this would support the condensation hypothesis as there is less heat/air transfer in the new model.

I will definitely try and see if it is a leak problem or not.
Thanks
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Re: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

Preciso is up to it. I have one that I don't use every day, but it's a solid grinder and at least one reviewer thought it produced more consistent grind than the Vario.
carz07
carz07

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 5:16pm

PrescottCR Said:

Preciso is up to it. I have one that I don't use every day, but it's a solid grinder

Posted August 17, 2013 link

ok nice so the preciso is good for bdb ok i will get one for another testing beans thanks

MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 12:29pm

carz07 Said:

hi everyone im thinking of getting a preciso, although i have a vario i want to pull different beans and i dont want to mess with 1 setting with another so i decided to get another grinder. so im eyeing on preciso for its manual pour over grinds.

so i want to know if anyone here is using preciso and does it serve well for the dual boiler? can it choke the bdb?

thanks

Have used the Preciso with an Esatto scale since I purchased my Breville 900. All three are still working today. I note the esatto can be a bit off in it's estimation of stop point, when I change different coffees with widely different grind weight / volume, but its something that can be worked with.  (And it's still far easier than using a separate scale on every cup.) To be exact, the esatto sometimes under weighs the grind - this can be compensated for by just depressing the grind start button. If the difference is sufficient (a light weight to set point) it then grinds to set point.
carz07
carz07

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 5:11pm

MerleApAmber Said:

Have used the Preciso with an Esatto scale since I purchased my Breville 900. All three are still working today. I note the esatto can be a bit off in it's estimation of stop point, when I change different coffees with widely different grind weight / volume, but its something that can be worked with.  (And it's still far easier than using a separate scale on every cup.) To be exact, the esatto sometimes under weighs the grind - this can be compensated for by just depressing the grind start button. If the difference is sufficient (a light weight to set point) it then grinds to set point.

Posted August 18, 2013 link

in a manner of .00 in the scale, how many grams is in question? i pre weight my beans

is the fine setting able to choke the bdb? i mean do i still have few more clicks left for turkish?

sqroot3

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 9:40pm
Subject: Different baskets

I am considering getting a vst basket just to play with. my primary goal is to try lower doses of coffee and see what flavor profiles I get...

With the stock single-walled baskets, I am using 19-20g in the double and 17g in the single to get reasonable extractions. This dosing is partially (largely, I suppose) dictated by the fact that I need to put enough grinds into the basket to be able to tamp without bottoming out along the taper. The single basket, with its tiny extraction screen/small open area, is particularly difficult to dial in.

In your experience, which vst baskets have you found to be most successful, and at what doses? Or, do you have any suggestions for more traditional, straight-walled, non-vst baskets that accommodate lower doses while maintaining a reasonable headspace?
carz07
carz07

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: Different baskets

sqroot3 Said:

I am considering getting a vst basket just to play with. my primary goal is to try lower doses of coffee and see what flavor profiles I get...

With the stock single-walled baskets, I am using 19-20g in the double and 17g in the single to get reasonable extractions. This dosing is partially (largely, I suppose) dictated by the fact that I need to put enough grinds into the basket to be able to tamp without bottoming out along the taper. The single basket, with its tiny extraction screen/small open area, is particularly difficult to dial in.

In your experience, which vst baskets have you found to be most successful, and at what doses? Or, do you have any suggestions for more traditional, straight-walled, non-vst baskets that accommodate lower doses while maintaining a reasonable headspace?

Posted August 18, 2013 link

hi im using the 15g vst basket, since im going through different types of SO and blends. the reason why is that i want to lessen my waste. and with the straight wall i can tamp atleast 15lb

showing page 237 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.510387182236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+