Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kcfong2

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:54am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines

Buckley Said:

Dear kcfong,

In my case, all of the leaks have been due to splits forming in the plastic ring of the showerhead.

Posted April 6, 2013 link

I had the same problem on my red Mypressi, after only 8 months of use.  Mypressi sent me a replacement disk, O-rings, etc, sans metal showerhead.  It came within a week after calling them (but I do live within 30 minutes of their San Jose address, so I was probably lucky).  This was recent, btw... March 2013, so their customer service is alive and well.

I was using the "tabs" on the showerhead to pull the piece off after use.  I think the better way is to press it out from the bowl.  In my case, the showerhead assembly split into two separate pieces (like pancakes).  I tried to glue them back with partial success using Gorilla Glue, but that glue expands, and there was a lot of excess that prevented the O-rings from seating properly... the result... no more crack, but even MORE leaking.  Moot issue though since they sent me a replacement.  You can also use the ESE Pod showerhead by removing its metal component.  The plastic disk and flapper are the same as the regular showerhead.
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 12:47pm

Our experiences have been similar, except I never thought of trying G glue.  The pod head ring was the first replacement for me, as well.  Now I always keep a spare s'head around.

B
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 7:36am

I found a quick and easy fix for the leaking showerhead (provided that your leak is not the result of the showerhead physically splitting, as happened to me on one unit).  It appears the center "stub" that secures the flapper valve to the showerhead disk either wears, or was never "formed" right from the get go.  I have two Mypressi's, and one is fine, the other leaked.  Once you remove the metal showerhead, you can press up on the center of the flapper valve, and (in my case), if you have a leaky unit, you'll see that the flapper has some "give" at the center, and the "stub" lifts up about a millimeter or so.  I went to Home Depot (mega hardware store for non-US readers) and purchased a 1/4"x 0.032" fiber washer, and slipped it over the "stub" to take up the slack.  Worked like a charm.  Here's a URL to the washer I got at Home Depot:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202209544?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=1%2F4+fiber+washer&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202209544#.UV-9wcbn-70
\\\

Would you please explain what you mean by the "stub"?  I have removed the metal showerhead and see what I presume is the "flapper" valve - a round, smaller circumference, soft piece of rubber covering the "holes" in the plastic casing.  I can't figure out where to place the washer, however - would it fit under this flapper somehow?  I see nothing that looks like a stub - would you please refer me to the diagram of the mypressi manual to better ID where to place the washer?
Thanks.
Buckley

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 3:28am

Dear CLM,

The 'stub' that kcfong2 is referring to, if I may speak for them, is that nipple in the center of the soft rubber flap valve that is inserted through the center hole of the rigid plastic of the showerhead.  It holds the soft flap valve on to the rigid showerhead frame.   I am guessing that by placing an additional washer between the expanded part of that stub or nipple and the hole that it goes through in the rigid plastic support, one can effectively tighten the fit of the soft plastic on the hard plastic and stop leaks.  I have not had to do this, but if anyone has had to do this and can post a picture of the fix, that might clear things up better than my attempt at explanation.  The washer is not between the flap and the rigid plastic, the washer is on the other side of the rigid plastic from the side where the flap is.

The stub can be seen in the exploded schematic in the Mypressi manual as that little dome sticking upward from the exact center of the showerhead.

Buckley
clm

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 8:44pm

Dear CLM,

The 'stub' that kcfong2 is referring to, if I may speak for them, is that nipple in the center of the soft rubber flap valve that is inserted through the center hole of the rigid plastic of the showerhead.  It holds the soft flap valve on to the rigid showerhead frame.   I am guessing that by placing an additional washer between the expanded part of that stub or nipple and the hole that it goes through in the rigid plastic support, one can effectively tighten the fit of the soft plastic on the hard plastic and stop leaks.  I have not had to do this, but if anyone has had to do this and can post a picture of the fix, that might clear things up better than my attempt at explanation.  The washer is not between the flap and the rigid plastic, the washer is on the other side of the rigid plastic from the side where the flap is.

The stub can be seen in the exploded schematic in the Mypressi manual as that little dome sticking upward from the exact center of the showerhead.

Buckley - I'm back at this.  I first used a "C-type clip" because I couldn't find a SS washer #10 until recently.  Now I've found some split washers, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit this under the 'stub'.  I'm not normally mechanically challenged, and I do read that many have used fiber washers in this post, but the c-clip I was using started to rust.  I decided to try SS to avoid this and any potential harmful metal leaching, but I'm curious to know how anyone would fit a washer snugly under the 'stub' or gromet that is cone shaped. I can't open the split washer wider to fit around the cone shape and I fear that my efforts may tear the stub.  Mypressi has posted this on their website as a solution to a leaking showerhead, but does anyone have a better picture of the recommended washer and fix?
clm

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 8:45pm

I tried to upload a picture, but it didn't work.
clm

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 8:46pm

Trying again in pdf.
Buckley

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 4:52am

Dear CLM,

Let's start with the 'bottom line': if you put a good food-safe grease on the stub, it will be easier to slip a washer over it.  I would suggest Crisco shortening or margarine; they are both more slippery than food oils.  Perhaps a blunt, straight-end type of tweezer like a cosmetic tweezer or strawberry huller (blunt, not serrated) might help you pull the stub through the washer, but be careful not to cut into the soft rubber.  A guy might have a can of silicone spray around the place, which would also work.  Just wash the assembly with soap and water and rinse it with boiling water to remove all traces of soap and grease.

Perhaps the best approach to the washer/stub problem is as follows: optionally, you might consider the choice of removing the soft flap disk with its stub from the hard plastic structure so that you have access to the size of the native hole in the hard plastic.  This way, you can take the hard plastic with you when you go shopping and buy a SS or nylon washer that has a hole size that is close to the designed hole size.  The thickness of the washer would be left up to your judgement, I could not tell you what would work best.  Greasing the stub might also come in handy if you are removing it, although I have done it without any need for grease.

Finally, under the heading of 'making a project out of it', comes the idea of measuring the hole, buying a new, sharp drill bit the same size (whether english or metric size, I do not know) and drilling a stack of bronze or SS shims (very thin small sheets of metal), cutting them into disks and using exactly the number of home-made washers to get the degree of snugness that you want.  This last suggestion is, admittedly, overkill and may not be worth the effort.  Drilling and cutting very thin sheets of metal has to be done with a stack of them squeezed together in order not to bend, tear or burr any individual thin sheet.  It has to be done carefully.  It would, however, appeal to the more OCD coffeegeek members who may be reading this post.  Shims can probably be bought at better hobby shops or mom 'n' pop hardware stores.

The first suggestion at the top may be all the advice necessary to get you through the installation.

Buckley
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 5:36am

A counter point to Buckley.
Please do not use FOOD as a lube. It will go rancid and cause cleaning issues. A good food GRADE lube would be better. Just saying.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 6:31am

Buckley Said:

Just wash the assembly with soap and water and rinse it with boiling water to remove all traces of soap and grease.

Posted August 29, 2013 link

Just said.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40674996376)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+