Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAutomatic
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Guidance needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SocalLatteLover

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 12:08am
Subject: Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAutomatic

Hi Guys,

Sick of paying everyday for a latte and would like to learn the art of pulling a good shot and making espressos and lattes at home. I've been doing some research and have narrowed down to two machines, the Breville BES900XL and the super auto Saeco Exprelia One Touch. The Saeco is $600 more than the Breville but has a built in grinder and is pretty much one touch. I also like that it pulls and steams the milk directly from a milk container. Downside is that it probably doesnt microfoam the milk as well at the breville's steam wand does.

What do you guys recommend between these two machines? I figure the $600 difference would let me purchase a pretty decent grinder so other than the convenience factor am I missing anything else between these two machines?

Thanks!
Sal
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 6:55am
Subject: Re: Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAut

The BES900 will make better espresso than the Super Auto... no super auto can compete with a semi auto on brew quality as long as you have a decent machine and grinder. 600 will get you a decent grinder.

There is a big following of the Breville here in the community and several detractors. You probably should investigate it from both directions to make an informed decision. What is important to one person may not necessarily be important to the next.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 7:09am
Subject: Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAutomatic

Breville.... that's like bringing a knife (superauto) to a gun fight, even Starbucks $$$$$$ superautos aren't good. Superautos don't have the temp stability, let alone correct temps for espresso, the right pressure, the built in grinders suck big time etc. And the "espresso" they make is nothing like real espresso, more like a 10-20 second weak gusher of a shot. Superautos are about convenience, people who don't care about coffee use them as they just want a cup even if its not good. I have a friend with a Jura C9, that's an almost $2k superauto, it sucks lol, but to him it's about convenience (type of people who'd be just as happy with a nasty cup of preground Folgers).

If you get the Breville, or any similar semi-auto machine, you need a grinder, a capable espresso grinder at that. Breville's been pretty good, people on here have had machines swapped out, but the machines weren't necessarily in "not working" mode, was simple glitches of which quite a few could be remedied at home, but Breville swapped out for new machines. I know quite a few owners of it, one whose had two since they came out, not a single issue, and the one he keeps in the office is used non stop for employee's. And plenty of people would I'm sure enjoy that service vs other companies. That same guy bought an Gaggia Classic originally after I told him too, machine shipped D.O.A., was sent back for warranty, and after almost a week they sent him another new machine, that one just never worked right and leaked. You just never know. Can't personally descale the current model though, will have to sent to Breville, the new one coming out will allow self descaling at home. If you want a machine to keep for like years and years to come (like 10+) I wouldn't look at Breville since parts are proprietary and not "off the shelf" like others and would pry be hard to source by then, and same for a superauto, superautos are completely proprietary with internal parts and pretty much impossible to work on, they break after warranty, you either junk them or send to company to repair for $$$.

But there are other machines to consider as well, you have some nice h/x machines in that price range, Cuadra II h/x as an example.
SocalLatteLover

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 9:44am

Thanks for the input guys...looks like the Breville may be the way to go although now that I read about the La Nuova Cuadra I am starting to get confused again....it is a sexy looking machine :)
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAuto

SocalLatteLover Said:

Thanks for the input guys...looks like the Breville may be the way to go although now that I read about the La Nuova Cuadra I am starting to get confused again....it is a sexy looking machine :)

Posted August 15, 2013 link

Lots of things to consider... parts availability, local service availability, and little things like the kind of look you want on the kitchen cabinet. A good machine will last many years and if you are handy enough to do mild maintenance yourself, you probably can keep the same machine for years and it never leave your possession.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Guidance needed on Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch

SocalLatteLover Said:

What do you guys recommend between these two machines?

You'll have a hard time getting any coffee geek to recommend any superauto.  Is the quality of what's in the cup or convenience more important?  If you want to learn the art of pulling a good shot and making espressos and lattes at home then you won't do so with a superauto.  That is, unless you consider button pushing to be an art and your bar for "good" is extremely low.  If you want a convenient coffee solution then a superauto is the way to go.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 4:17am
Subject: Re: Guidance needed Breville BES900Xl vs Saeco Exprelia One Touch SuperAuto

SocalLatteLover Said:

La Nuova Cuadra I am starting to get confused again....it is a sexy looking machine :)

Ha.  Yes, in pictures.  It's actually quite plasticy.  It is a decent HX machine. From the front wall forward, it is a quality E61 machine.  If you're looking to "Learn the art", you'll have your chance. It's an easy machine to work on and will need to be set up to your liking when you want to start using it. The relief valve will be closed, never set from factory, and when you go in to set it up, you'll see how cheap a lot of the components are...  But then you'll start pulling shots and you will forgive it. It's a thousand dollars cheaper than the more robust machines of its size. You can use that money to replace the cheap plastic hoses, the sacrificial relay and still have savings.
It really makes it easy for a new user to quickly rise up the learning curve. The machine is capable of helping you produce some really excellent espresso.

Super-autos are very much the opposite. They arrive from the factory set up in a configuration that should allow them to operate for a while, producing an espresso that's good enough for the masses. You won't rise up a learning curve with the super-auto, except in terms of not referring to the manual for the cleaning or other functions. They're for people who prefer automatic transmissions in their cars and don't crave excellent espresso. Nothing wrong with that, but excellent espresso is a treat.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Guidance needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373624801636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+