Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio silva or Bezzera BZ10 Machine
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio silva...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
osteenjames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 7:26pm
Subject: Rancilio silva or Bezzera BZ10 Machine

Forgive me I am new to making espresso. I recently bought a Breville 800ESXL machine for a steal. I'm looking for cafe-shop quality shots of espresso. My budget is 1000.00 to 1600.00.
I was looking at Bezzera BZ10, and the BZ02 and Rancilio Silva machine. Which is best for the money, and quality of shot?

Respectfully
  1. A. O'Steen, Ret, USN
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 5:12am
Subject: Re: Rancilio silva or Bezzera BZ10 Machine

I only have experience with the Silvia and IMO it does produce cafe quality espresso.  What it lacks though compared to Bezzera is boiler size.  The Bezzera's are commercial machines.  The Silvia is more home use.  I would go with Bezzera over the Silvia if your budget allows it.  The extra boiler size will help you maintain boiler temp while you pull a shot as well as give you double the steam pressure over the Silvia.  Auto refill is another + over the Silvia. 1st Line has a good deal on the BZ02.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 6:42am

In MHO, the Bezzera BZ 10 is not commercial, it is well into the prosumer class though. It is a vibe pump HX with a 1.5 l boiler. There is no realistic way to compare that to a Sylvia, apples and oranges.

Sylvia can produce a good shot, no doubt about it but it is a good consumer class SBDU. It is much more tempermental in pulling shots due to the smaller boiler and that as you pull the shot, you add cold water into the boiler, cooling the water in the boiler. This is rectified somewhat with the addition of a PID to monitor and keep the water stable but then that adds to the price and you still have a SBDU machine.

The BZ10 is a Heat eXchanger machine. The boiler is maintained at a stable temp and the brew water is heated by flowing through a tube in the boiler EXCHANGING some of the heat in the boiler to the brew water. The boiler does not cool at nearly the same rate and a much more stable shot is produced. As the brew water is heated by a tube inside but not connected to the boiler, if you do not pull shots for a while, the brew water sitting in the HX tube, will become the same temp as the boiler water, and be too hot for shots, thus the HX flush, you simply turn the brew circuit on and move around 3 oz or so of water out of the system to restore the thermal balance to the machine. Once this is done, you can pull shot after shot at a very consistent temp but yet if you wish to, you can alter the brew temp a few deg one way or the other by flushing a little more or waiting a little longer between shots, making the HX a very flexable machine to use. The flushed water can be flushed into your cup to warm it, this is what I do and it isn't a big deal at all. Remembrer All machines need a flush to clear spent grounds from the brew system, HX flush to bring the water temp down and most DB machines flush to warm the group head, this can also apply to SBDU machines. So flushing is a part of making espresso no matter how you do it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:03am

osteenjames Said:

I'm looking for cafe-shop quality shots of espresso.

Posted August 6, 2013 link

So what grinder are you intending to pair with the machine?

osteenjames Said:

Which is best for the money

Posted August 6, 2013 link

I don't think you'll find anyone that says that the Silvia is best for the money.  It has been widely regarded as overpriced for years now.

calblacksmith Said:

In MHO, the Bezzera BZ 10 is not commercial, it is well into the prosumer class though. It is a vibe pump HX with a 1.5 l boiler. There is no realistic way to compare that to a Sylvia, apples and oranges.

Posted August 7, 2013 link

In a nutshell, same here.  Why is the OP shopping the Silvia against the BZ10?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 12:19pm

I agree with Wayne and Don. As implied in Don's post, you aren't going to get cafe quality shots from ANY machine unless you have a cafe quality grinder and freshly roasted quality beans.

And yeah...kind of strange that you came up with those machines to decide between.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 2:01pm

emradguy Said:

And yeah...kind of strange that you came up with those machines to decide between.

Posted August 7, 2013 link

Bezzera is the step daddy of Pasquini Livia.  Don't want to step on a Silvia but if you have the Dough Re Mi, go Bazzera....or Pasquini........
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio silva...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388488054276)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+