Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Gaggia choking..
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FA

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 8:16am
Subject: New Gaggia choking..

I just got a brand spanking new Gaggia. I also ordered a Vario grinder which is still enroute. When I got the Gaggia it was not working. Seemed like it was dropped. All pins inside were bent etc. The pump dislodged and hit few things to make my day.

AnyWho... I opened it up and connected it back and fired it up. It actually worked perfectly. After 4-5 shots with my old coffee beans in the old grinder (timing was around 40 seconds) I removed the beans and put fresh ones in. This is where everything stopped making sense...

I used the same grind setting (its a Delonghi KG89 grinder) and no matter what setting I use, the machine chokes completely..

What I did
1) Tried new beans and used the double cup and tamped as usual. Put it in and turned on the machine.. NOTHING. No drips even.
2) Removed the coffee which was wet and just tried without coffee. Got normal flow through portafilter
3) Changed grind to coarse and tamped as usual. One or two drops per 10 seconds
4) Changed to further coarser and tamped very lightly. Some dripping but nothing much
5) Tried without coffee. Works ok and good flow
6) Tried single cup and same issue as above.
7) Tried Single cup with half of the coffee and WAY LESS coffee (almost 1/3rd) and tamped very light. same issue

Note sure whats going on. Will try again today with old coffee that I had and also without tamping but wanted to ask if someone has seen this?  I will try to get replacement but since the filter works without coffee and this is a pressurized filter, I am inclined to think that pump is fine (sound etc is good).

Thanks for the help
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 8:49am
Subject: Re: New Gaggia choking..

That grinder is not up to the task of supplying coffee to an espresso machine. I am sure that you have read that the grinder is more important than the espresso machine. A pressurized portafilter requires a coarse(r) grind and little to no tamping- just enough to level the coffee.

My advice- Get the non-enhanced portafilter and buy a good grinder (but ask first before purchasing to avoid disappointment). If cost is a factor, there are very good hand grinders for about $75-100 that would quite well for espresso.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 11:33am

Agreed that I wouldn't worry too much until you have a good grinder.

That said however if you are putting in a small amount of very course ground coffee and not getting any flow at all, I would start being prepared to think you may have a genuine problem. How course is course and how much is a small amount is left wide open to interpretation... perhaps with the new grinder if you mention your setting, and if you can also provide an amount of coffee used (by weight in grams is preferable) then it will be easy enough to tell if you are OK or not or give you a direction to go as to what to change.

Which Gaggia did you get and what exactly happened to it?
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 1:42pm

FA Said:

I just got a brand spanking new Gaggia. .... Seemed like it was dropped. All pins inside were bent etc. The pump dislodged and hit few things to make my day.

AnyWho... I opened it up and connected it back and fired it up.

Posted August 6, 2013 link

Point #1: Did you buy it from a reputable vendor? You should be able to get it exchanged.

I used the same grind setting (its a Delonghi KG89 grinder) and no matter what setting I use, the machine chokes completely..

What I did
1) Tried new beans and used the double cup and tamped as usual. Put it in and turned on the machine.. NOTHING. No drips even.
2) Removed the coffee which was wet and just tried without coffee. Got normal flow through portafilter
3) Changed grind to coarse and tamped as usual. One or two drops per 10 seconds
4) Changed to further coarser and tamped very lightly. Some dripping but nothing much
5) Tried without coffee. Works ok and good flow
6) Tried single cup and same issue as above.
7) Tried Single cup with half of the coffee and WAY LESS coffee (almost 1/3rd) and tamped very light. same issue

Note sure whats going on. Will try again today with old coffee that I had and also without tamping but wanted to ask if someone has seen this?  I will try to get replacement but since the filter works without coffee and this is a pressurized filter, I am inclined to think that pump is fine (sound etc is good).

With pressurized baskets, I found that sometimes a stubborn coffee grain can get stuck in the single exit hole at the bottom of the basket. Use the tool that came with the machine and try to clear the hole.

You said that the pump seems ok ("sound etc is good"): when you ran it against a 1/3-full, lightly tamped coarse coffee (and only drips came out) -- did it sound strained?
FA

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 3:46pm

Thanks for the replies.

The machine is Gaggia Classic. Its from Amazon so returning it is easy but I am just perplexed but it seems I have a solution

The machine chokes with my new beans I have started using (to celeberate that machine...ironic). For some reason on the same setting on my grinder as my old beans, it chokes. On a coarser setting it works but I am seriously surprised how coarse it needed to be for it to work.

I cannot taste my epsresso today (I am fasting!). The espresso looks good and I will know in 3 hrs if it is tasting good :-)

By the way the pump strains when there was no flow and mutes up a bit. With it flowing it has a vibrating noise to it that dampens a lot when no flow happens. BUT, and its a big but, there is no over pressurre release to the reservoir as far as I can see.

Anywho, I will check and update if the espresso is good enough.
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 5:02pm

FA Said:

Thanks for the replies.

The machine is Gaggia Classic. Its from Amazon so returning it is easy but I am just perplexed but it seems I have a solution

The machine chokes with my new beans I have started using (to celeberate that machine...ironic). For some reason on the same setting on my grinder as my old beans, it chokes. On a coarser setting it works but I am seriously surprised how coarse it needed to be for it to work.

I cannot taste my epsresso today (I am fasting!). The espresso looks good and I will know in 3 hrs if it is tasting good :-)

By the way the pump strains when there was no flow and mutes up a bit. With it flowing it has a vibrating noise to it that dampens a lot when no flow happens. BUT, and its a big but, there is no over pressurre release to the reservoir as far as I can see.

Anywho, I will check and update if the espresso is good enough.

Posted August 6, 2013 link

Hope you get it solved, but personally, especially given that this is a new machine -- I would exchange it.

Ramadan Mubarak, Faisal!
FA

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:56pm

OK. I got a replacement but same thing. I guess it is the new beans. I used a non pressured portafilter as well. The gring has to be coarse for them to work. My previous beans (starbucks) worked much finer without issue.

So......

Next step is to check pressure somehow of this machine with my old one as that one (EC155) worked better with the new beans at much finer setting (maybe that one is higher pressure?). Note that I tried my ESE pods and the gaggia (BOTH of them) chocked.
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:58pm

This may be a dumb question, but did you prime the pump?
FA

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 3:04pm

I think so. I turn pump until water comes out of head? I also started the pump through steam wand at one time. Am I missing something?
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 3:16pm

If you are getting steady water out of the head my guess would be you are fine there. There are more advanced instructions here: http://www.partsguru.com/user/Priming%20pump.pdf
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423182010651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+