Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 96 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:26pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Zevi Said:

At least in the case of my AMEX, the vendor can hold an authorization only for one month. After that the authorization expires automatically, and they can either (1) request re-authorization, or (2) actually charge the card. Either way, it must be done under your explicit approval/consent. When Mary called me after the initial month, seeing that the machines are around the corner -- I had them put the charge through.

But no matter what -- under normal circumstances they cannot do anything with your card without your consent.

Posted August 22, 2013 link

So how about these items that I order months before they actually come out, only to be charged when they are released, but I never get re-authorization for them? (i.e. Amazon DVD/book preorders) They've never contacted me for re-authorization though sometimes I'll order movies months in advance...not that I'm complaining, when I put in a pre-order I know I want it (or if I change my mind I'll cancel the order).

EDIT - also technically I think it is less than a month from my original order date, so that may be a factor? The initial "pending charge" (as my cc lists it, I assume it's the same as an authorization) disappeared after about a week and a half after I placed my preorder, but just reappeared today. Again, not an issue, I want the item, and I don't need them to call me. Just trying to understand why people seem to think they need to call me to have me re-authorize this. I normally turn my cell to silent at work so I don't want to be waiting on a CCS call and potentially delay my order.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:31pm

CarloM Said:

So how about these items that I order months before they actually come out, only to be charged when they are released, but I never get re-authorization for them? (i.e. Amazon DVD/book preorders) They've never contacted me for re-authorization though sometimes I'll order movies months in advance...not that I'm complaining, when I put in a pre-order I know I want it (or if I change my mind I'll cancel the order).

EDIT - also technically I think it is less than a month from my original order date, so that may be a factor? The initial "pending charge" (as my cc lists it, I assume it's the same as an authorization) disappeared after about a week and a half after I placed my preorder, but just reappeared today. Again, not an issue, I want the item, and I don't need them to call me. Just trying to understand why people seem to think they need to call me to have me re-authorize this. I normally turn my cell to silent at work so I don't want to be waiting on a CCS call and potentially delay my order.

because Amazon doesnt authorize them in the first place. they charge when it ships.

i was told that before they ship they will call to make sure the order is still valid.. The hold only is good for 30 days.
CarloM

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:48pm

cuznvin Said:

because Amazon doesnt authorize them in the first place. they charge when it ships.

i was told that before they ship they will call to make sure the order is still valid.. The hold only is good for 30 days.

Huh, that's weird then. My hold was only on for about 1.5 weeks, disappeared, then reappeared today. All is within 30 days from my original order date. Hopefully they don't have to re-contact me. Please ship mine first CCS! :)
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:58pm

There is no one answer when it comes to authorizations against your available credit. Generally speaking, debit cards fall of sooner than credit cards... but there is always exceptions... check with the issuing bank.

Merchants are expected to ship the merchandise before they actually capture the charge.  The authorization is the merchants guarantee he is going to get paid.

I have been an online merchant for over 10 years and every processor we have used was slightly different.  Almost all of our transactions are completed before the initial authorization expires so we have not had to deal with that aspect much, but as far as I know we would re-authorize the card if we needed to. In the case of expired authorizations, we have probably already been in contact with the card holder because there was some delay with the order.

Wow... I should get an award for being WAY OFF TOPIC.  :}
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 5:47pm

CarloM Said:

Huh, that's weird then. My hold was only on for about 1.5 weeks, disappeared, then reappeared today. All is within 30 days from my original order date. Hopefully they don't have to re-contact me. Please ship mine first CCS! :)

I paid for mine by check over a month ago so I should get the first one.  ;>)
CarloM

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:24pm

JaniceAnn Said:

I paid for mine by check over a month ago so I should get the first one.  ;>)

I don't think it will really matter much, Janice. You'll get yours first. I'd have to assume NY to VA is much shorter delivery time than NY to CA...
JaniceAnn

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:43pm

CarloM Said:

I don't think it will really matter much, Janice. You'll get yours first. I'd have to assume NY to VA is much shorter delivery time than NY to CA...

I was just joking anyway.

I just bought a used Nuova Simonelli MDX grinder and I won't have it for about ten days so I am not in a hurry for the 2B.  Coincidentally the grinder is coming from California.

I am getting a little concerned about learning to use and maintain the machine though.
CarloM

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 7:29pm

Hi Janice,

Yes it will be a learning curve. But this is a great place to use as a resource, and you and your husband can do whatever level of maintenance you feel comfortable with. Most of the preventative maintenance is easy. Anything more difficult you can probably find a local espresso tech who can do it (for a price).

It is like owning a car. There's a lot you can do if you want to on your own.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:43pm

I got an email from CCS today that I had to answer to confirm that I still wanted my V2B. Evidently they will ship Monday. I had paid for mine by PayPal so they have had my money for a while. Not sure if they are processing the ones that they had already collected the funds for first or not.
JaniceAnn

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 1:13pm

DeanOK Said:

I got an email from CCS today that I had to answer to confirm that I still wanted my V2B. Evidently they will ship Monday. I had paid for mine by PayPal so they have had my money for a while. Not sure if they are processing the ones that they had already collected the funds for first or not.

Posted August 23, 2013 link

I haven't heard anything as yet

I paid by check so it would have taken time for it to be cashed.  I am not sure where that puts me in line.

My grinder is supposed to be here Thursday of next week so then I will be ready.  

How many days does it take from New York to Oklahoma, Dean?

I think it is about two days to Virginia.
showing page 96 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458188056946)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+