Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 75 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

Seems like the aussie disappeared.....

Posted August 3, 2013 link

Maybe he is on a caffeine binge  :)

I could easily plumb this thing in if I wanted to modify my cabinetry, but hate to do that. Planning on new granite counter tops soon and I just don't want to drill holes or modify that backsplash.  Probably a short sided way of looking at it because I plan on staying here until I die or they put me in a home... so probably should enjoy the benefit of a plumbed in machine... but I just can't do it.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:28am

DeanOK Said:

Maybe he is on a caffeine binge  :)

I could easily plumb this thing in if I wanted to modify my cabinetry, but hate to do that. Planning on new granite counter tops soon and I just don't want to drill holes or modify that backsplash.  Probably a short sided way of looking at it because I plan on staying here until I die or they put me in a home... so probably should enjoy the benefit of a plumbed in machine... but I just can't do it.

So if you are getting new granite countertops soon, you can then plumb it in.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:47am

cuznvin Said:

So if you are getting new granite countertops soon, you can then plumb it in.

If I wanted to put the holes in the counter or the backsplash... but I don't.

I have also got this idea of building me a dedicated cabinet just for the espresso machine and have a spot for a 5 gallon bottle of water under the machine and then use a pump to pump from the bottle right into the machine. I use bottled water anyway. If I plumb it up, I would want some kind of good filter and softener.  All stuff to take care of/think about later.... who knows?
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:15am

I am also still surprised to read comments of group head or front panel flex on the machine. I did go into a fair bit of detail earlier, but perhaps people forgot, I also said it has some slight flex as most machines do. The portfilter doesn't have to be locked in very hard to not leak, if it leaks and you have to lock it in harder and harder, then it's probably time to spend some money on a new group gasket. Usually every 4-6 months is ideal, but you can go longer if you don't use your machine very much. As you can see it is perfectly OK to lock it in with light pressure (i'm only using 1 finger to prove my point), for people with arthritis, use the heel of the hand of lower arm if you want...Clearly there are no leaks and I don't see worrying amounts of front panel or group flex. Sure if you are really ham fisted and do it hard enough, you can make it flex slightly (as it would on most machines)...but why would you want to.

Note: this is the blind filter basket and is slightly thicker around the rim than the single, double basket, so the handle will actually lock over slightly further with a coffee basket in.

For this Video I actually lock it in a little harder than it looks (cos I'm a big bloke with strong fingers). Here is the massive front panel flex your all worried about.....if you can't see it up the resolution to 1080p and play it 3 or 4 times, you won't see any flex on the front panel, but you can catch a slight movement, at the right hand edge of the group. It's difficult to see and slightly exaggerated (optical illusion) by the camera refocussing because my hand is there. I also tried to get the best camera angle for showing any movement no matter how slight. This is flex right at the edge of the group furthest away from the front panel. I really don't see it as a problem, but as always, if you don't like it....buy one that flexes less than this.....if you can find one and it meets the rest of your requirements for a Dual Boiler machine

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Personally, I could never give this sort of flex a negative in a review, because it simply isn't a problem and I've seen many machines that flex MUCH more and they are not a problem either, even all those machines that have had the panels strengthened in response to forum comments...none of them were a problem before being "fixed", at least not the ones I have tested.

P.S. To the guy wondering about height and his cabinets and running without feet attached, I really can't comment....seems a lot of trouble to go to, perhaps consider a different make of machine that's shorter, or simply use felt furniture pads and slide it out to fill it....which is what I do.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:26am

DavecUK Said:

I am also still surprised to read comments of group head or front panel flex on the machine. I did go into a fair bit of detail earlier, but perhaps people forgot, I also said it has some slight flex as most machines do. The portfilter doesn't have to be locked in very hard to not leak, if it leaks and you have to lock it in harder and harder, then it's probably time to spend some money on a new group gasket. Usually every 4-6 months is ideal, but you can go longer if you don't use your machine very much. As you can see it is perfectly OK to lock it in with light pressure (i'm only using 1 finger to prove my point), for people with arthritis, use the heel of the hand of lower arm if you want...Clearly there are no leaks and I don't see worrying amounts of front panel or group flex. Sure if you are really ham fisted and do it hard enough, you can make it flex slightly (as it would on most machines)...but why would you want to.

Note: this is the blind filter basket and is slightly thicker around the rim than the single, double basket, so the handle will actually lock over slightly further with a coffee basket in.

For this Video I actually lock it in a little harder than it looks (cos I'm a big bloke with strong fingers). Here is the massive front panel flex your all worried about.....if you can't see it up the resolution to 1080p and play it 3 or 4 times, you won't see any flex on the front panel, but you can catch a slight movement, at the right hand edge of the group. It's difficult to see and slightly exaggerated (optical illusion) by the camera refocussing because my hand is there. I also tried to get the best camera angle for showing any movement no matter how slight. This is flex right at the edge of the group furthest away from the front panel. I really don't see it as a problem, but as always, if you don't like it....buy one that flexes less than this.....if you can find one and it meets the rest of your requirements for a Dual Boiler machine

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Personally, I could never give this sort of flex a negative in a review, because it simply isn't a problem and I've seen many machines that flex MUCH more and they are not a problem either, even all those machines that have had the panels strengthened in response to forum comments...none of them were a problem before being "fixed", at least not the ones I have tested.

P.S. To the guy wondering about height and his cabinets and running without feet attached, I really can't comment....seems a lot of trouble to go to, perhaps consider a different make of machine that's shorter, or simply use felt furniture pads and slide it out to fill it....which is what I do.

Have you looked at the CCS demo video? Does it look like they are applying too much pressure to the portafilter?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:32am

DavecUK Said:

Didn't plan on going without feet entirely. Just shorter legs... just thinking out loud because I know I am going to have to deal with this issue when the machine arrives. One thing I like about the legs being a bit tall is that it is easier to clean under the edge of the machine. All things for me to think about.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:36am

Hey Dean sounds like we're in the same boat but I don't think I'd run it without legs. I'm going to see if I have enough clearance to do the funnel/hose refill method first. I can't put furniture sliders on mine because my surface doesn't stick out far enough for me to get clearance for the machine from the cabinets (I'd need to slide any DB-sized machine out about five inches further than the front of the machine would allow).

So basically if I can't do the funnel/hose I'm going to buy a separate stainless steel kitchen cart for the Vetrano and Mini-E. Hopefully one with a  drawer beneath it to keep my accessories.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:48am

cuznvin Said:

Have you looked at the CCS demo video? Does it look like they are applying too much pressure to the portafilter?

I can only speak for the test machines I use..I know what pressure I applied, the portafilter I used, the gasket that's in the machine (in this case the standard gasket supplied with it) I know it doesn't leak even against a blind filter, I had the camera purposely set up to try and record flexing. I cannot speak for what Chris did in his video as I wasn't there. However, I cannot imagine that QM would bother having two production methods to produce machines where the rigidity of front panel and group varies by country....can you?

I've supplied the information for the UK machine, now you guys have to decide if the "flexing" (if you could see it) in my video was too much for you or not.
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 12:04pm

You know, an interesting thing about how much force we put into locking in our portafilters. I know that years of watching Starbucks employees ply their trade "taught" me that a large amount of force was needed to lock in my portafilter to prevent leaking (it also makes it look like you're doing "really hard work" to the untrained eye). I think even places like Intelligentsia put a certain amount of force into when they lock their PFs.

So after this whole flexing discussion we've had here, I decided over the last couple of days to put in my portafilter on my Silvia with a light touch. Guess what? No leaking, whatsoever. For nearly a year and a half I've been using probably 2-3 times more force than needed out of habit. Keep in mind the Silvia doesn't flex because it's not an E61 and the brew group doesn't attach to the front panel like the E61s do.

Based on our lengthy discussion about flex, about the complete lack of evidence that flex leads to any sort of premature failure or cracking of front panels, I think I'm just going to use a light force to lock in my PF once my V2B arrives. I'm not worried about flex at all on the V2B, or any other E61 I've been looking at before I settled on the V2B.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 12:04pm

DavecUK Said:

I can only speak for the test machines I use..I know what pressure I applied, the portafilter I used, the gasket that's in the machine (in this case the standard gasket supplied with it) I know it doesn't leak even against a blind filter, I had the camera purposely set up to try and record flexing. I cannot speak for what Chris did in his video as I wasn't there. However, I cannot imagine that QM would bother having two production methods to produce machines where the rigidity of front panel and group varies by country....can you?

I've supplied the information for the UK machine, now you guys have to decide if the "flexing" (if you could see it) in my video was too much for you or not.

The CCS video exhibits more visible flex than your video, and I do see differences in machines for example the insulation is different.
Visible flex to me should not be, something you pull on and apply some pressure should not visibly flex like the Duetto 2, QM 67 and to a degree on the Duetto 3. Other manufacturer's have tackled this problem a lot better.
showing page 75 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.456809997559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+