Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 76 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 12:45pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

CSME9 Said:

The CCS video exhibits more visible flex than your video, and I do see differences in machines for example the insulation is different.
Visible flex to me should not be, something you pull on and apply some pressure should not visibly flex like the Duetto 2, QM 67 and to a degree on the Duetto 3. Other manufacturer's have tackled this problem a lot better.

Posted August 3, 2013 link

Which machines have better resistance to flex and how was that achieved?

I remember reading, maybe on this thread, that one manufacturer bolted the E61 group to a T-frame that was a part of the frame of the machine but I don't remember who the manufacturer was.

The bad news is I fell this morning and I think I have broken the ring finger on my right hand.

The good news is I am left handed!
 View Profile Link to this post
pennywise

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B, Saeco...
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Keurig
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:11pm

JaniceAnn Said:

The bad news is I fell this morning and I think I have broken the ring finger on my right hand.

The good news is I am left handed!

Here's wishing you a very speedy recovery, Janice Ann!  I know first hand (or foot in my case) just how painful broken bones can be.  :o(
JaniceAnn

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:18pm

pennywise Said:

Here's wishing you a very speedy recovery, Janice Ann!  I know first hand (or foot in my case) just how painful broken bones can be.  :o(

Thank you!  I have a splint made from a ice cream bar stick and medical tape to immobilize the finger.  That seems to help lessen the pain because I am not able to accidentally bend the finger.

I have had a broken foot from a fall downstairs and three broken toes at different times.  I tend to be a bit of a klutz.

I just know I am going to get burned by the E61 group when I get the machine.  Hopefully that will teach me to be more careful!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:34pm

JaniceAnn Said:

Thank you!  I have a splint made from a ice cream bar stick and medical tape to immobilize the finger.  That seems to help lessen the pain because I am not able to accidentally bend the finger.

I have had a broken foot from a fall downstairs and three broken toes at different times.  I tend to be a bit of a klutz.

I just know I am going to get burned by the E61 group when I get the machine.  Hopefully that will teach me to be more careful!

Tape the finger to the one next to it
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:35pm

JaniceAnn Said:

Just don't forget to ice it a little now and again, wrap an ice pack, or bag of frozen peas in a tea towel and use it to cool the area, it will bring any swelling down.

As for the insulation on the machine, I think Chris may well get the Insulation as per my production model, although I quite liked the look of his as well., it's fair to say, I like them both.

Re the starbucks and other coffee shops methods another person alluded to, yes, in the shops they think it's cool and trendy to whip em in and out with a bit of panache. usually their group gaskets are changed monthly by the service guys and they should be (but are probably not),  properly cleaned each night by dropping the shower screens (doesn't matter what the model of group) and giving things a good manual clean inside the dispersion area...backflushing with detergent achieves f$%k all.

A minor problem with continually locking the portafilter in too tight is the compression under heat which only slightly shortens gasket life, the bigger one is the heavy handed habit people get into. When gaskets are new, you can almost just press the portafilter handle until you feel it touch the gasket, no more...and it still probably won't leak!! The only warning is ill fitting portafilters that have not locked over far enough and can sometimes untwist under pressure. it's the same for steam/hot water valves, you have the compression and the no compression type. The older compression ones with an operator that "just" closes them enough to stop them leaking, will probably last twice as long as the non compression valves. With a ham fisted operator, the non compression valves will last 4 times longer.....non compression valves are the norm now...so go figure <lol>.

The other thing is the lever, I've seen people who think you gotta flip that thing fast, in case moving it at a speed any lower than the speed of sound will ruin your coffee, but a gentle approach here also avoids lots of problems and you will "feel" more and know when problems are starting a lot earlier, or the need for lubrication.
JaniceAnn

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:53pm

cuznvin Said:

Tape the finger to the one next to it

Very good suggestion!

I didn't know I should do that.

Thanks!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 3:02pm

JaniceAnn Said:

Very good suggestion!

I didn't know I should do that.

Thanks!

I work for orthopedic surgeons that
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 3:18pm

DavecUK Said:

As for the insulation on the machine, I think Chris may well get the Insulation as per my production model, although I quite liked the look of his as well., it's fair to say, I like them both..

I hope Chris is getting the ones that have Armaflex insulation instead of the foil wrapped fiberglass. The fiberglass absorbs water if you have a water leak issue.

I too may add insulation to the boilers if the operating cost is very high to leave the machine on. I expect you shot NOT insulate over the limit switches though. I do believe that the are intended to operate at the correct temperature when the switch is open to ambient air.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 11:51am

Looking at the vid on CCS, i believe, V2B is set up for 120V 20a or 15a

I was looking at my electrical, the breaker panel has 20SWD breaker, the house is wired with 12GA wire, the outlet i use for espresso is set up with 15a GFCI. Most of the time this ckt is used for espresso machine and grinder only. I want to say my grinder is 600wt or so, not exactly sure.

So can i just switch 15a GFCI to 20A GFCI and be using V2B in 20A mode and Grinder without popping my breaker?

thanks
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 1:16pm

Tonyv138 Said:

Looking at the vid on CCS, i believe, V2B is set up for 120V 20a or 15a

I was looking at my electrical, the breaker panel has 20SWD breaker, the house is wired with 12GA wire, the outlet i use for espresso is set up with 15a GFCI. Most of the time this ckt is used for espresso machine and grinder only. I want to say my grinder is 600wt or so, not exactly sure.

So can i just switch 15a GFCI to 20A GFCI and be using V2B in 20A mode and Grinder without popping my breaker?

thanks

Posted August 4, 2013 link

I would consult with a licensed electrician. All "sounds" good with what you have described (confirming 20A breakers+12 gauge wire) but I don't think any of us here would want to be responsible should anything go wrong with your house by saying "go for it!" :)

With luck you're going to have your Vetrano 2B for a decade or more. You'll use that 20A outlet for at least that long, and maybe longer. It's worth the small investment to make sure you get this done right by a qualified, licensed professional.
showing page 76 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496356010437)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+