Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 74 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SylvainMtl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 5:25am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

DeanOK Said:

Huh? Are you looking at the correct review?

As for your concerns about brass brew boilers.... here is Daves comments from the review on why he suggested a brass boiler:

"For most people (because only 25% of the population are supertasters split 35% of women and 15% of men) I am sure it's not an issue. The amount of copper is also not dangerous to health and copper (brass) has antibacterial properties which helps in a boiler. The Verona has a good quality brass brew boiler (and the right type of brass), because I can't taste anything, hot or cold the water has no "taint" to me, coffees taste cleaner and better. Does this mean that copper brew boilers are no good?...No, they have been used for years, most people can't taste it or are not really aware of it..BUT, if you are one of the people who can, the Verona is the machine for you! To me the coffee tastes cleaner and sweeter. There are other boiler materials, but I do like brass....I believe good quality brass is still used in Dalla Corte, La Spaziale Vivaldi (mini Vivaldi), La Marzocco GS3. Although none of these machines are using the same type of conventional boiler design as QM for their brew boilers."

Posted August 2, 2013 link

Dean, YES I read the review.... Gosh...

And your quote has nothing to do with my concerns about a brass boiler.  Brass boiler are subject to leak lead, that is my concern and that is why some manfacturers nickel plate them.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 5:55am

SylvainMtl Said:

Dean, YES I read the review.... Gosh...

And your quote has nothing to do with my concerns about a brass boiler.  Brass boiler are subject to leak lead, that is my concern and that is why some manfacturers nickel plate them.

Posted August 3, 2013 link

I don't believe anyone Nickel plates the interior of boilers any more (i think because it tends to come off) and I cannot imagine manufacturers are allowed to use brass that leeches harmful amounts of lead into the water. most brew groups are brass, fittings are mostly brass and the Italians have been doing this a long time. Me, I'm happy it's not going to harm me or my children and I don't believe our laws or yours would allow something harmful to be sold (certainly European Law is pretty hot on all that). However, if you are personally concerned, then a machine with a copper boiler is for you. I also helpfully gave a list of some prosumer machines that use brass boilers earlier, which you can refer to and there are others  such as  Gaggias and Sylvias etc..

I just thought it might be useful to see a video of the Verona in the UK pulling a shot against a blind filter, to ensure it was up to pressure. As you can hear....it's very quiet.  Remember though they're hand built, some might make more noise than others, BUT any tin rattles or buzzes are usually easily fixed by owners. I only did this, because I had the camera out to photograph those boilers, so thought I might as well shoot some video. :)

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Dave

P.S. To the super observant (I know there are many), the portafilter I used to the video was the nearest one to hand with a blind filter in it and is NOT the portafilter that comes with the machine, It in fact is an early Duetto one, but with a chromed end insert I put in myself..
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 6:14am

DavecUK Said:

I don't believe anyone Nickel plates the interior of boilers any more (i think because it tends to come off) and I cannot imagine manufacturers are allowed to use brass that leeches harmful amounts of lead into the water. most brew groups are brass, fittings are mostly brass and the Italians have been doing this a long time. Me, I'm happy it's not going to harm me or my children and I don't believe our laws or yours would allow something harmful to be sold (certainly European Law is pretty hot on all that). However, if you are personally concerned, then a machine with a copper boiler is for you. I also helpfully gave a list of some prosumer machines that use brass boilers earlier, which you can refer to and there are others  such as  Gaggias and Sylvias etc..

I just thought it might be useful to see a video of the Verona in the UK pulling a shot against a blind filter, to ensure it was up to pressure. As you can hear....it's very quiet.  Remember though they're hand built, some might make more noise than others, BUT any tin rattles or buzzes are usually easily fixed by owners. I only did this, because I had the camera out to photograph those boilers, so thought I might as well shoot some video. :)

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Dave

P.S. To the super observant (I know there are many), the portafilter I used to the video was the nearest one to hand with a blind filter in it and is NOT the portafilter that comes with the machine, It in fact is an early Duetto one, but with a chromed end insert I put in myself..

I know that nickel can easily be removed by many acid based cleaners. This fact is well known in the ice machine industry. In fact, most ice machine manufacturers that have nickel plating on their evaporator specify that you must clean it with a nickel safe cleaner. Regular acid cleaner will remove the plating. I don't see where a boiler would be any different.

Here is an example of a nickel safe cleaner used in ice machines...
Click Here (www.rectorseal.com)
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 7:16am

Nice polish on the front!

Btw I read the silvia comes with a state warning in California at least about the brass boiler.
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 8:01am

Having used a diamond meshed drip tray cover, they tend to collect a bit more coffee residue vs the wire type used on the Spaz or Duetto 3. The material also tends to sound a bit tinnier when removing the drip tray. A cut out for the 3 way discharge tube would have been nice.

I could not see a full panel reinforcement behind the front panel, maybe it is just a smaller plate that just fits behind a smaller area behind the group head to help reduce flex but not greatly eliminate it. I know this does not effect the shot but something you supposedly gently pull on due to the soft thinner gaskets could have been done better.  

A lot of nice features, hoping to see what the early adopter Aussie chap says about the espresso and steaming even though its a higher voltage machine.
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 8:35am

Thanks for all the updates Dave, now I'm more eagerly anticipating the U.S. shipment than ever!

After moving my refrigerator, stove, etc. and looking at the outlets behind said appliances, I've come to the sad conclusion that I don't have a 20A outlet anywhere in my apartment. However, I ran into my building manager who says he can easily install a 20A breaker and receptacle for me. I'm hoping he'll do so.

If the outlet I've currently hooked up my Silvia to is the one that can become 20A, then I'll have to use the beer bong funnel and hose method of refilling the water tank. Not the end of the world. Or buy a FloJet pump and put a 5 gallon water bottle next to it and plumb it in. I'm glad the Vetrona came along and made me delay my purchase. Originally I was all set on either a Mini Vivaldi or Dream T, but then I wouldn't have had the plumb/tank option which now become really useful for me if I decide to go with the FloJet.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 9:55am

gz20tt Said:

Safe in it's new home alongside Mr Mazzer

Posted July 31, 2013 link

Can you tell us how tall the legs are and if the plumbed drain attachment can be removed from the bottom of the machine without causing any issues?

I am thinking that there is a possibility I can pick up a few inches of clearance if I can install shorter stainless legs and remove that drain adapter. I have  1.5 inches (3.81 cm) clear from standard dimensions. If I can increase that by a couple of inches I can probably use a funnel and hose to fill the machine. This would keep me from having to move the machine to fill it but I know I would have to move the machine regularly to remove the reservoir and clean it... but at least I wouldn't have to every time if I can use a funnel and hose.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 9:57am

DeanOK Said:

Can you tell us how tall the legs are and if the plumbed drain attachment can be removed from the bottom of the machine without causing any issues?

I am thinking that there is a possibility I can pick up a few inches of clearance if I can install shorter stainless legs and remove that drain adapter. I have  1.5 inches (3.81 cm) clear from standard dimensions. If I can increase that by a couple of inches I can probably use a funnel and hose to fill the machine. This would keep me from having to move the machine to fill it but I know I would have to move the machine regularly to remove the reservoir and clean it... but at least I wouldn't have to every time if I can use a funnel and hose.

Seems like the aussie disappeared.....
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:01am

Davec,
I was looking for Verona documentation on BB site, and could not find it. Is there a way to get a pdf? Want to see if there are mtce instructions, etc...
thanks
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:08am

gz20tt Said:

Travel damage 2:

Posted July 31, 2013 link

I can see where this could lead to more travel damage on future machines, very tall legs, load becomes unbalanced and bends the unreinforced sheet metal connection point.
showing page 74 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440742969513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+