Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 62 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

I am looking at this the same way I would a computer purchase... next week they will have a new tweak, gizmo or look and mine will be obsolete... oh well, life is too short to worry about it.

Dave says we are getting a good deal.... but my son told me I was crazy for paying over 2K for an espresso machine... its all about perspective I guess.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 9:54am

DavecUK Said:

I rarely if ever look at their web site, but just had a look.....no no real idea, it could be an error, it might be internally they thought they were similar, I've only reviewed the ECM  Mechanika III and the Barista (an excellent HX machine)?
There are more machines to review than I have time to do, because they are always being updated and changed. I review as a hobby and a service to the community, not for the money and it takes a long time to do my reviews. This means I try and spend that time on reviewing stuff that interests me (unless I really need to update an existing review). I'm pretty sure the Technika is very similar internally to the Mechanika and a well made and constructed thing, probably a great machine....but I'm not gagging to review one, because...well it's not exactly interesting mechanically to me. I like the company though ECM are quite good and responsive.

As for the Rocket (of course I had one to look at before launch)...I'm not currently producing a review, but will, when I get time to look at the revised machine.

Posted July 31, 2013 link

Dave ..would you be able to comment on how you think the steaming capabilities on the V2B compares to a mini vivaldi?
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 11:10am

DeanOK Said:

I am looking at this the same way I would a computer purchase... next week they will have a new tweak, gizmo or look and mine will be obsolete... oh well, life is too short to worry about it.

Dave says we are getting a good deal.... but my son told me I was crazy for paying over 2K for an espresso machine... its all about perspective I guess.

Absolutely the right way to look at it Dean. There's always something better around the corner. You could literally wait forever if you follow that logic...but you'd never enjoy the benefits of actual ownership. My mentality, for both technology and other large purchases like this one, is to buy the best you can (after doing research) at the time you need it. If you don't need it now, then wait. But if you do need it now, then buy.

And hey, at least the world of espresso machines moves much slower than computers/technology. Tablets and smartphones have upgrades every few months. I'm willing to bet that the Vetrano 2B will be a solid purchase option for several years to come (just as the Duettos and Vivaldis have been for quite some time). Will there be minor tweaks? Sure. But nothing earth shattering. And if there proves to be anything wrong with the machine, that's why you buy from a reputable place like CCS who will take care of you.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 11:19am

CarloM Said:

Absolutely the right way to look at it Dean. There's always something better around the corner. You could literally wait forever if you follow that logic...but you'd never enjoy the benefits of actual ownership. My mentality, for both technology and other large purchases like this one, is to buy the best you can (after doing research) at the time you need it. If you don't need it now, then wait. But if you do need it now, then buy.

And hey, at least the world of espresso machines moves much slower than computers/technology. Tablets and smartphones have upgrades every few months. I'm willing to bet that the Vetrano 2B will be a solid purchase option for several years to come (just as the Duettos and Vivaldis have been for quite some time). Will there be minor tweaks? Sure. But nothing earth shattering. And if there proves to be anything wrong with the machine, that's why you buy from a reputable place like CCS who will take care of you.

I just hope there arent major issues like on the Dream T
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 11:58am

I jusst spoke with the folks at I Drink Coffee.  Apparently the owner is on vacation but will be back in a couple of weeks.  Once he returns they plan on getting in the VDB.  When I asked about pricing they said it would be a par with CCS.  When I questioned their ability to sell it that cheap they siad that they need to be competitive with Chris.

I really can't see how they are goingn to be able to offer it at such a low cost.  In the mean time I placed my order with Chris as I have doubts they can offer what they claim or even it they can get their hands on the gear.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Shawn12
Shawn12

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:13pm

ECM Said:

I jusst spoke with the folks at I Drink Coffee.  Apparently the owner is on vacation but will be back in a couple opf weeks.  One he returns they plan on getting in the VDB.  When I asked about pricing they said they would be a par with CCS.  When I questioned their ability to sell it that cheap they siad that they need to be competitive with Chris.

I really can't see how they are goingn to be able to offer it at such a low cost.  In the mean time I placed my order with Chris as I have doubts they can offer what they claim.

I asked them and they said about $2200. But the guy was just guessing. I have researched my next machine to death and landed on this one so I can wait a few more months if I have to.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 2:14pm

cuznvin Said:

I just hope there arent major issues like on the Dream T

I hope I'm not jinxing us future owners by saying this...but while some issues are likely to creep up (it is a first rev after all) the problems with the Dream T stemmed around their new software/firmware/PID algorithms . The V2B is using a proven Gicar PID, with settings customized by DavecUK for UK and CCS for US. I think that will prove to be a winning combo and likely we won't experience near the level of grief as the Dreams.
gz20tt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 5:56pm

Hi Everyone,
I've had the Vetrano 2B in my possession for just over 24 hours now.
Upon receipt, I took it down to my friendly local coffee technician for a check over.

I'll cover the bad first.
There was some shipping damage - although the unit came double boxed and there was no visible damage to either - one leg was bent at it's support and the steam tap was slightly bent downwards.
The shaped-foam packaging is really soft - so QM should really look at sourcing something better.
Perhaps it's due to mine being a single order and it really should have been on a pallet.
I had the technician fix this cosmetic stuff and check the frame over and I've let my supplier know.

A minor point is that the electrical plug that came with it was a Euro-spec one and it had a lock-on adapter for Australian power points.
Legal - but not optimal.
The cord is also kind of flimsy for 240V/10A - so I had the whole thing swapped out for a beefier Australian cord/plug, which was a matter of minutes to perform.

Lastly - there was huge amounts of condensation/water in the plastic bag around the Vetrano.
We knew to let the unit dry out in the sun before switching it on for the first time - but it's just something to be aware of.

In the box it came with:
2 portafilters - single and double spout, with 2 baskets and a blind filter.
Group head brush
Combined plastic bean scoop/tamper
Mains plumb-in and drain hose kit.

Now - to the engineering bit.
The boilers appear to be 800ml/1400ml for brew/steam. Both are insulated with the black Armaflex foam rather than the foil/wool type.
THERE IS NO BOILER DRAIN SYSTEM AT ALL with my machine - but the access plate/holes for easy element removal is.

The elements measured at 900W brew and 1500W steam.

PID does not prioritise and can pulse/run both elements together.
PID settings were:
P = 1.5
I = 0
D = 1.5
Apparently quite aggressive according to my tech.

Cabling is generally neatish and fit and finish is good.
The transformer for the LED's is present but not connected to anything.
My tech did like the way the sides/back/top are made and connected to the frame - with neat welds and slotted holes.

THERE IS SOME FLEX on the front panel when inserting the portafilters.
It's certainly tight right now and not a 2-finger exercise, but it feels like it's a metal on metal resistance rather than anything to do with the hardness of the gasket.
I'll see if it loosens up as I go along.
We didn't remove the group gasket to measure it.

The pump is quiet - but there is a slight buzz we couldn't lock down.
We did put a little piece of flattened silicon tube where the top frame of the pump meets the front panel of the machine.
The noise/buzz may be a water movement/pulsing noise.
I'll keep an eye (ear?) on it too.
I've also stuck on an in-tank resin filter to reduce water hardness on the inlet tube. Not really needed where I am - but its added insurance.

Apart from that - I'm still dialling the unit in at home.
Playing with dose/temp with a coffee I know well to try and hit a god-shot.

Anyway - on with the photos.
gz20tt

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:06pm

Travel damage:

gz20tt: BaseDamage1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
gz20tt

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:08pm

Travel damage 2:

gz20tt: BaseDamage2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 62 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.448421001434)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+