Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help buying a machine. Yes I have read the first post and the Guide also :)
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ricardo_dacosta

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 6:11pm
Subject: Need help buying a machine. Yes I have read the first post and the Guide also :)

Hello there!

Sorry for the following intro, but I feel it will provide you with a better picture of me and my needs

I never made coffee in my life until 2 years ago. Im 35. I did drink some in my home country, Venezuela. Coffee was made with your stove-top so call espresso makers. Drank it here and there but was never too into it. I drank tea and after a trip to India, I fell in love with Chai, real Masala Chai. Couldnt find any in the USA and decided to start making my own, which somehow lead me to start an online Chai Company in 2006....lets move 3 years later....was looking into finding a way to bring our Chai in front of the public and created a bicycle trailer (ChaiCycle) and started selling our Chai at the train stations in our local community of Montclair, NJ.

Although a lot of people liked our Chai, I started getting request to also sell coffee. I did some research, looking for a company with similar interest than mine, small batches, fair trade, etc and decided to go with Jim's Organic Coffee. They set me up with a brewer and a grinder and I got started brewing my first drip coffee pots :)

I started drinking and enjoying their coffee. I started attending the industry shows, CoffeeFest, mainly to connect with other Tea merchants, distributors, etc but at the same time to learn more about coffee. Nowadays Im using a local micro roaster, Java Love Coffee Roasters.

Now Im in the process of setting up a small mobile Chai/Coffee truck. The idea comes from what I have seen in Europe, 3 wheel scooters transformed into espresso shops. However, my experience has taught me, at least in my niche serving commuters in the morning, people are not that interested in espresso. Its early, they are in a hurry to catch their train and they prefer their drip coffee. I have been using a Saeco Giro Plus at one of our train station locations and never get more than 5 request a day.

So the idea is to carry Airpots with our freshly brewed Chai & Coffee, along with a Hario Pourover station for Single Origins and a small Semi Automatic, Single Boiler, Heat Exchanger machine that would allowed me to make at least 20 espresso based drinks a day (Espresso, Cappuccino, Machiato, Flat white) Im also looking into have people hire me to do private parties at their homes/business so in those cases the espresso based drinks may be a bit higher count...maybe.

Are these machines able to do this kind of volume? Im trying to avoid 220V machines because this is a small mobile setup and have to keep the wattage low unless I go with a much bigger generator which I really dont want to. Also want to avoid big and bulky machines that will take over the entire space!

I was first looking into a very simple machine like Gaggia Classic but then realize a machine with Heat Exchanger may be better suited. Am I wrong? I have been reading the reviews on this site for the Bezerra BZ02 as well as the QuickMill Vetrano. Any other suggestions?

As far as the grinder goes, I will be using a Baratza Vario. I do have a commercial Grindmaster grinder that does have an espresso grind, but havent really tested out as I use it primarily for my drip coffee operation.

Will be looking into buying one used, probably off craigslist. Would like to have it connected to a 5 Gallon water bottle with a jet pump so I dont have to deal with constantly refilling the reservoir.

Thank you for any suggestions and sorry for such long post :(
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: Need help buying a machine. Yes I have read the first post and the Guide

welcome,
For mobil use, you want to go with  a gas powered espresso maker rather thann an electric one. To that, you do not want to use a home machine for commerciall use. It will not hold up and  it will not do a good job for you eveen if you have electric power available. A single group HX is what you are looking for, not to mention that a home machinn will not be certified for commercial use and will not be NSF certified.

Commercial brewers for drip can be had in all cappicities. For a while jYou will be able to get along with a home grinder for your use but you will soon want to change it for commercial grinders for better quality and longer, MUCH longer life.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
ricardo_dacosta

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 7:03pm
Subject: Re: Need help buying a machine. Yes I have read the first post and the Guide

Yes it is for mobile use but I don't expect to have a high demand for espresso based drinks as I posted above...am at the train stations and people do prefer their drip fast coffee, grab and go. Its very fast paced. I don't expect more than 10 drinks daily if that much.

Does that changes anything for you?

Thank you
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:00am
Subject: Re: Need help buying a machine. Yes I have read the first post

ricardo_dacosta Said:

Now Im in the process of setting up a small mobile Chai/Coffee truck. The idea comes from what I have seen in Europe, 3 wheel scooters transformed into espresso shops. However, my experience has taught me, at least in my niche serving commuters in the morning, people are not that interested in espresso. Its early, they are in a hurry to catch their train and they prefer their drip coffee.(

Posted July 30, 2013 link

This is what directed my answer to mobile use. Perhaps to remove the espresso option would be the best choice if you do not want to make the commitment. It is better to do one thing well than to do two things only half way.

It all depends on volume. There are a lot of commercial brewers that brew directly into air pots. They are rated in gallons per hour.

Commercial grinders are going to be need, you will not have a long lived home grinder in a commercial setting not to mention that it will be a pain in the back side to use, they are not designed for commercial use.

I still would not use a home machine in a commercial environment, a single group commercial machine is what you will need. It is kind of like using your 3 wheeled scooter to deliver full sized 4 foot x 8 foot sheets of plywood, yes, it may be possible but the extra work and the abuse on the scooter will quickly cause it to fail not to mention that there are much better tools for the job.

ricardo_dacosta Said:

I have been using a Saeco Giro Plus at one of our train station locations and never get more than 5 request a day.

Posted July 30, 2013 link

That may be due to the low quality drinks you are serving, one drink and it is enough to know not to order that again.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347226858139)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+