Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 59 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. Yeah I guess you're right about what you've written re: water hardness. One thing I was considering too was getting a 5 gallon tank from a water service, maybe doing the distilled + filtered water, confirmed with hardness meter for my water source. Living in an apartment I won't be able to hook up the V2B to a water source, but I may do the distilled+filtered water tank and a Flojet water pump to simulate a water line feed. That would be slightly more money up front for the pump but would save me money with filters in the long run and theoretically help the machine run better over time.
 View Profile Link to this post
gz20tt

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 5:52pm

DavecUK Said:

Yes to first point...UK version has the system I specifically specified and drew up for QM (we pay extra for that), US version has the one CC uses on a few QM machines already and the Australian version....dunno, mebbe wont have anything?

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Hi Dave,
My machine should hit early next week according to FedEx - it's winging its way from the China depot now (via France, from Italy).
I expect it'll be in Australia tomorrow and then internally routed to my state after that.

Anyway - since we can't PM I've updated my public email in my profile - if you'd be so kind as to use that to pass on your optimised PID settings for your UK prototype.

Cheers
Frankie
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:43am

MDiddy Said:

Not sure where you got the info that the vac breaker drains inside the machine, but that's not case.  It drains right into the drip tray via a small exit tube at the bottom of the front of the machine beneath the group.

Also, as the machine has a rotary vane pump (which is quiet as a mouse BTW) there is no OPV in the machine.  It actually has an expansion valve, which again, drains into the drip tray.

The only thing that would drain inside the machine would the boiler pressure safety valve which opens when there's a problem with the boiler to stop it from exploding.  But if that opens, you have other problems to worry about other than water draining into your machine.  :)

Here's a good explanation of the setup:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted July 23, 2013 link

So did you check you Vacuum breaker valve to see that it does not drain into the drip tray?? I was wondering how you access the expansion valve because it is not under the cup warming tray as I thought..
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:11pm

gz20tt Said:

Posted July 25, 2013 link

Hi Dave,
My machine should hit early next week according to FedEx - it's winging its way from the China depot now (via France, from Italy).
I expect it'll be in Australia tomorrow and then internally routed to my state after that.

Anyway - since we can't PM I've updated my public email in my profile - if you'd be so kind as to use that to pass on your optimised PID settings for your UK prototype.

Cheers
Frankie

When you get it, let us know what you think of the quality of the stainless and the flex of the front panel.. Thanks!!
Mort108
Mort108

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 9:24am

Any update on DavecUK's review??
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 5:23pm

Mort108 Said:

Any update on DavecUK's review??

Posted July 29, 2013 link

Got the production machine this afternoon via air freight from Italy, so starting work on it and updating my review documentation, plus all new photos. A few phone calls needed to be made to ensure the portafilters were to the spec I wanted, because the machine came with the US portafilter set and not the ones I wanted for the UK machines. I have had it up and running, everything is nice, PID set to the specification I gave them for UK machines. I did advise them to use it as the base specification world wide (apart from the US where CC will not doubt have his own ideal settings), so it will be interesting if the Australian machines come set the same way? QM didn't initially get the point that the basic standard settings input by Gicar were not right for the machine and it's did not do them any good to have machines that were out there, not working as well as they should be.

It will be nice to check on all the changes I wanted, plus a few other nice features that have crept in....one minor irritation, but it will be in the review.
cuznvin

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 5:34pm

DavecUK Said:

Got the production machine this afternoon via air freight from Italy, so starting work on it and updating my review documentation, plus all new photos. A few phone calls needed to be made to ensure the portafilters were to the spec I wanted, because the machine came with the US portafilter set and not the ones I wanted for the UK machines. I have had it up and running, everything is nice, PID set to the specification I gave them for UK machines. I did advise them to use it as the base specification world wide (apart from the US where CC will not doubt have his own ideal settings), so it will be interesting if the Australian machines come set the same way? QM didn't initially get the point that the basic standard settings input by Gicar were not right for the machine and it's did not do them any good to have machines that were out there, not working as well as they should be.

It will be nice to check on all the changes I wanted, plus a few other nice features that have crept in....one minor irritation, but it will be in the review.

Why would the UK machine have different portafilters?
gz20tt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 5:44pm

DavecUK Said:

I'll have some hard data coming soon Dave.
It's listed as being on board with the driver today. (It was actually all cleared for delivery yesterday but FedEx wouldn't put it on the truck as it was posted Economy and not Priority - go figure)

Expect a photoblitz in this thread - or I'll set something up on Picasa or Box or something.

I'll post the out of the box specs as I go. (And the portafilters)
I expect that your machine came off the line as mine did - July 23 was the ship date.

New feature creep?
Interesting!

I am literally salivating in anticipation right now.
(I also roasted up 600g of a favorite Ethiopian Harar over the weekend that I'll be using to dial it in)
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 7:42pm

cuznvin Said:

Why would the UK machine have different portafilters?

Just regional differences I guess. My first QM DB came with a type of porta filters I really liked and so I specified that they keep it for all the UK machines. As to the why there are 2 different types....I have no idea.
cuznvin

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 7:45pm

DavecUK Said:

Just regional differences I guess. My first QM DB came with a type of porta filters I really liked and so I specified that they keep it for all the UK machines. As to the why there are 2 different types....I have no idea.

You said you requested portafilters to your specs.. So what do you mean you have no idea? What exactly did you specify??
showing page 59 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.573961019516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+