Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgraditis Dilemna
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgraditis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 2:17pm
Subject: Upgraditis Dilemna

So of course the coffeegeek in me wants to or is always wondering if I need to upgrade...

Currently I use a Vibiemme Domobar Super that I bought new paired with a Mazzer Major and Voodoodaddy Pharos.  My shots are good but not great.  I understand that its most likely my own fault but I always wonder if I can cheat by getting something different/better...

I also have an Elektra lever that I haven't mastered or had time to master yet.  My preferences unfortunately are milk based drinks for now and I only make 1 a day for myself and an occasional 2 for family.  Of course when parties are had I can pound them out nonstop with the plumbed in Vibiemme and Major.  One day I will try to acquire straight espresso taste and put the Elektra to good use.  Now I just want to concentrate on mainly Lattes.  The Vibiemme has been superior in steaming as well as pulling decent shots. However, because I don't have the super domo double boiler I always wonder....

Currently considering:

Used La Cimbali M21 used in a commercial setting until shop shut down
Well used La Cimbali junior (older one with no digital buttons) but refurbished
Used Nuova Simonelli Appia in a very light commercial setting and only 2 years old with total 9 months usage
Perhaps a Rancillio Epoca 1 group that looks to be in very good shape and used in a residential setting
A La spazialle Vivaldi if I ever find one because its a dual boiler

Space and plumbing in is not an issue.  So in short I make maybe 1 or 2 drinks a day as the norm.  I want that drink to be the best that it can be.  I can leave the machine on all day but lately have just been turning on my Vibiemme for an hour before I make my first cup and if I expect company I turn it on in advance. I'm not sure about electrical costs between any of the machines but I would like to reduce my carbon  footprint if possible but not at the expense of my coffee. I know all the machines can be left on 24/7 including the Vibiemme but can the machines perform if only warmed up for an hour?  I have an Erkis Thermometer to monitor my temps but my temps still move around from shot to shot. The grouphead on the Vibiemme E61 is as big as it gets as it is.  So my question is will the other machines perform any better for my purposes? Cost for the La Cimbalis and Appia are similar while the Epoca is much higher.  Also no La Spaziales on the horizon yet and I do not want to pay retail. As for improving my skillset I am already enrolled in a 3 hour course in Seattle coming up on dialing in my espresso shots.
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 2:34pm
Subject: Re: Upgraditis Dilemna

From what I know, it seems to me that all of those machines won't necessarily "up" your quality as much as they will your workload. Your Vibiemme is a HX, right? You'll have to decide if a DB will provide what you're looking for, and there are plenty of forums on here debating the pros and cons of HX and DB. For me, I'm partial to DB and absolutely love my Vivaldi. The Cimbalis, Appia, and Epocha just seem to be most best for the commercial environment. I'm not sure they'll add much more to your quality. From what you have, it seems that it's just practice that is needed. All of your equipment is capable of creating top-notch shots. If there's anything that will up your quality, it would be upgrading the Major...
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 4:54pm

The only real place to go after the Major is the Robour or something similar.  

In terms of Espresso Machiens you could get a GS3.  I had both the Robour and the GS3.  They make quite the team to say the least.  

I sold both due to upcomming move.

Good luck,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Angman
Angman

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 4:58pm

I guess the sad truth is in the barista. I just wanted an excuse to buy yet another machine. I'm always up for new grinders as well but what would you say would yield a considerably better cup? I already have a Major and a Pharos. Isnt that the best of the flat burrs as well as a conical?  I can't imagine there being any significant improvements outside of ease of use (company k10 fresh/PB or perhaps a super caimano for the better doser? Not that I don't like hoarding grinders but those are some pricey alternatives to what I already own. I guess an HG One would be nice to add to the collection. I have already owned a Vario, Fiorenzato, Rancillio MD80 and some others as well.
Angman
Angman

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:03pm

Rob I would love a GS3 as well (who wouldn't) but the high cost is a reality and not realistic. The other machines i am considering only because there are some available at a second hand discount and they are true commercial machines as compared to my prosumer but very well built machine. I would say the vibiemme is as nice it not nicer than the Rockets out there.

I would consider the Robur as I can find a reasonably priced used one but will it be that much better than the Pharos?  I don't mind hand cranking and saving $1k if it yields a similar quality. As I mentioned I don't make quantity but just want quality. I use the Pharos for my daily drink and the Major when I need to make quantity.
ECM
ECM

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:07pm

Is your Vibiemme Domobar Super have a PID?

Having a PID mignt give you more shot consistancy.  When I went form a Giotto P and Mazzer Mini to the GS3 Robour combo I noticed a big difference in taste.  However, because I upgraded the grinder and the espresso machiene at the same time it's difficult to determine which device had a more important role in moving the taste up.  

Hope that helps?
ECM
ECM

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:09pm

I would say look for a DB unit with a PID.
ECM
ECM

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:19pm

I don't know anything about the Pharas.  Hopefully there are others that can weigh in on this.  

Is the Pharas a conical?  Not that a conical is better, it's just a different profile taste in the cup.  It really brings out the highs.
Angman
Angman

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:01am

I regret not getting the DB PID Vibiemme now when I had the chance as I was buying new....

As for the Pharos its a 71mm conical.  Its as close as I can get to a Robur or Compak K10 without having to spend another $1K+.  With the Major and Pharos I already have the two larger types of flat and conical burr sets. Other than the La spaziale are there other commercial on group DB's to consider?  I see some real well educated people on here that use the La Cimbali Jr and thats not a DB....
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:44am

HX makes a good shot also.  Mostly, IMHO, it is knowing your machine and how to get the best out of it.  I personally think you can screw up drinks on both types of machines.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgraditis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404392004013)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+