Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 131 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pShoe

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 3:55pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

seriously?????????? dont you all think you are taking this a little too far? its espresso..not a science project.

Posted October 4, 2013 link

Nope, this is CoffeeGeek after all. I bought and use the refractometer to measure coffee. If I can get another use out of it, that is a score in my book.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:06pm

pShoe Said:

Hey Dave, I have a digital refractometer that outputs TDS%. Could I use that to measure my hard water levels and more importantly to replicate your method of increasing RO water's TDS to 40-60 ppm. If not, what do you use to measure TDS and what specific steps do you follow to achieve TDS of 40-60 ppm from RO water.

I have already done the work for you with a Ph meter and a TDS meter, so you don't need to use one......the steps I use to treat my water is very low tech and can be done by anyone for no expenditure at all.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/ro-water-copper-corrosion

It may not appeal to some who prefer the use of hi tech, but it works for me.

P.S. Your digital refractometer may not measure the same TDS a conductivity based TDS meter measures!
CurtG

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill V2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau Syphon
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 5:37pm

CarloM Said:

The next couple of cold starts to the machine, after letting it heat up about 30-40 minutes, when I first engaged the lever to do a quick flush prior to inserting the portafilter with grinds, the motor/pump (not sure which) made a loud-ish grrrr sound, and then when I put the lever down, let it rest for a second and then pulled it up it resolved.

Posted October 3, 2013 link

I can reproduce something similar.  It happens when the brew circuit is not pre-loaded with pressure.  Look at your gauge to see if it is.  To test, you can relieve the pressure by raising the brew lever partway but not to where the pump kicks on.  A small amount of water should flow from the group (well, I'm running pour over, so if you're plumbed in, IDK).  Then, with the gauge at 0 (again, only if your in pour over mode), try pulling a blind shot and see if this reproduces the sound.  It's not an issue, just that the pump makes more noise when it's not working against a load.  Incidentally, you can do the opposite with your brew lever if your brew boiler is making a slight rumbling noise while heating in the morning.  Just raise the lever all the way when you first turn the machine on, let it run for a second or two to pressurize the brew circuit, and lower the lever all the way quickly to keep pressure in the system.  Makes my V2B completely quiet when brew boiler only is turned on.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 5:45pm

cuznvin Said:

seriously?????????? dont you all think you are taking this a little too far? its espresso..not a science project.

I never put this much effort into a science project myself... geeze, I weight my ground coffee, weigh my shot yield, time my shot,  and weigh my milk too.... and I keep logs of my grinder settings and age of coffee. Today I measured TDS of my water. I surely should have a refractometer for my coffee too.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 6:20pm

DeanOK Said:

I never put this much effort into a science project myself... geeze, I weight my ground coffee, weigh my shot yield, time my shot,  and weigh my milk too.... and I keep logs of my grinder settings and age of coffee. Today I measured TDS of my water. I surely should have a refractometer for my coffee too.

And all I do is weigh my ground coffee and my drinks are delicious. What you are doing IS a science project imo
DavecUK

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 8:59pm

CurtG Said:

I can reproduce something similar.  It happens when the brew circuit is not pre-loaded with pressure.  Look at your gauge to see if it is.  To test, you can relieve the pressure by raising the brew lever partway but not to where the pump kicks on.  A small amount of water should flow from the group (well, I'm running pour over, so if you're plumbed in, IDK).  Then, with the gauge at 0 (again, only if your in pour over mode), try pulling a blind shot and see if this reproduces the sound.  It's not an issue, just that the pump makes more noise when it's not working against a load.  Incidentally, you can do the opposite with your brew lever if your brew boiler is making a slight rumbling noise while heating in the morning.  Just raise the lever all the way when you first turn the machine on, let it run for a second or two to pressurize the brew circuit, and lower the lever all the way quickly to keep pressure in the system.  Makes my V2B completely quiet when brew boiler only is turned on.

The above is also a possibility.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 8:14am

So regarding the "grrrr" pump cavitation noise. I've been experimenting over the last few days I've run the machine (2-3 times a day). I've noticed that if I pull up the lever shortly after I turn on the machine, there's a 3-5 seconds of no water coming out, the pump doesn't have that nasty cavitation sound but it does have a slightly different sound as if pushes out the air (nowhere near as loud or nasty sounding as the cavitation) until water flows. 30 minutes later when the machine is warmed up, no cavitation sound when I do my 1oz flush right before pulling my shot.

When I don't pull the lever up first thing, I get the cavitation sound.

What's lost in all of this, is that when I first had the machine, maybe for the whole first month, I never had the cavitation sound. Further, when I'd power up the machine, about 50-60% of the time the water fill would activate (that sound we all heard when we filled the machine for the first time) when I powered on. Not all the time, but at least half of the time. And during that time I never heard the cavitation.

During these last two weeks or so when I've heard the cavitation, I have never heard the autofill kick on when I turn the machine on. Not sure why, but just something I've noticed. Do others who hear the cavitation still have their autofill kick on when they first power on their machines?
sharky
sharky

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 10:42am

CarloM Said:

So regarding the "grrrr" pump cavitation noise. I've been experimenting over the last few days I've run the machine (2-3 times a day). I've noticed that if I pull up the lever shortly after I turn on the machine, there's a 3-5 seconds of no water coming out, the pump doesn't have that nasty cavitation sound but it does have a slightly different sound as if pushes out the air (nowhere near as loud or nasty sounding as the cavitation) until water flows. 30 minutes later when the machine is warmed up, no cavitation sound when I do my 1oz flush right before pulling my shot.

When I don't pull the lever up first thing, I get the cavitation sound.

What's lost in all of this, is that when I first had the machine, maybe for the whole first month, I never had the cavitation sound. Further, when I'd power up the machine, about 50-60% of the time the water fill would activate (that sound we all heard when we filled the machine for the first time) when I powered on. Not all the time, but at least half of the time. And during that time I never heard the cavitation.

During these last two weeks or so when I've heard the cavitation, I have never heard the autofill kick on when I turn the machine on. Not sure why, but just something I've noticed. Do others who hear the cavitation still have their autofill kick on when they first power on their machines?

Posted October 9, 2013 link

CarloM, I heard this sound the very first time I turned on the machine (right out of the box).  Now I only hear it when the water fill activates (never when I first turn on the machine, though).  It will do it sporadically, but then I only leave the machine on for 4 hours in the morning.  When I pull up the lever for a flush or a shot, it is whisper quiet, and I love it!  I could never go back to a vibe pump after hearing how quiet this rotary pump is!  It is sooooooo amazing & worth every penny!  What I have noticed though, on the new Vetrano 2B, is how great my espresso shots are now!  They are sweet, and creamy and I am now enjoying straight shots!  I never enjoyed espresso shots until now!  WOW!
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 3:40pm

Interesting Sharky. As I said, for about the first month maybe half the time I powered on I heard the autofill. Not at all now. In fact the only time I hear the autofill is if I use the hot water tap to get water to preheat my cup. Anyway when I heard the autofill I never had the cavitation, and now I do, but when I start the pump upon first turning it on that solves the problem.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 5:19am

I am afraid this is possibly going to be a "known issue" with the V2B in the future. I hope I am not posting something that has already been posted.

I know there has been lots of talk about the noise that sometimes occurs when you turn the pump on to brew. I think it has been widely accepted that there is some sort of cavitation going on with the pump. I think the issue I am going to report here is related.

Issue: Pump will not shut off trying to fill steam boiler

This morning I drew a few ounces of water from my steam boiler. The pump kicked on to refill the boiler. I am used to this sequence and didn't pay much attention.... but then, the pump kept running and running and didn't shut off. I had only removed about 2 to-3 oz of hot water from the boiler. After the pump ran 45 seconds or so I got to paying attention. The noise was different. I reached over and opened up the brew valve to let water pass through the brew head. The noise of the pump changed (got quieter) and then the pump kicked off within 5 seconds or so.

I am using the internal tank. The last time the machine was used was yesterday morning... so it set about 24 hours before I drew the water from it this morning. The internal tank is about 3/4 full.

I believe that if I had not been there and observed this, the pump could have ran for hours. This bothers me because I leave my machine on all day, even when I am gone from home. Has anyone else experienced this?
showing page 131 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461570978165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+