Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quickmill Andreja Premium repairs
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ColinF

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 4:25am
Subject: Re: Quickmill Andreja Premium repairs

Thanks Giampiero....I have asked the repairer if the parts are all original and compatible..... he said of course of course these machines are all the same so I too have my doubts.

Unfortunately without the old parts to actually compare to the new ones I really have no idea if what he says is true.

There will be more to this story.Thanks for your thoughts.
 View Profile Link to this post
ColinF

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 2:59am

The next part of the story.

The repair guy dropped off the machine again saying he'd sorted the pump stuttering and hesitating and all was now good.
I was heading out of town for 10 days so have only tested things in the past day or so.

Yes the pump was sounding better but now the brew pressure setting was over 12 bar and the shots I pulled were bitter.
I decided it was time to call it a day with their incompetence.

I opened up the cases and had a look myself.
He'd turned the brew pressure way up deal with the pump stutter and had also twisted up the teflon tube while doing so.The vacuum breaker valve was taking too long to shut off when heating up and was spitting water droplets over nearby electrical connections.
I reset the brew pressure to around 9bar and removed cleaned and refitted the vac breaker valve.I put a doubled fine wire mesh cowl over the top of the valve to catch any droplets while letting the steam vent.
I rerouted the cables and tubes he'd put in the wrong places and zip tied flapping cables

I refitted the reservoir support with a small prop underneath to stop it making contact with the pump and now things are starting to sound and work much better.
There's still the occasional hesitation when the pumps up to pressure but its making good coffee again.

There will be an interesting discussion when we get to talk about how much of his bill I am prepared to pay.

Perhaps the interesting thing to come out of this situation is not so much that a tradesman can pretend to be something he isn't and trigger customer indignation, but that I could probably have fixed things myself with guidance from the knowledgeables here and elsewhere online.
Yes I'll not be competing with true professionals anytime soon but I'm sure I would have done a better job than this and would have had the satisfaction of learning how to get there.

For now the only niggle is this slightly hesitating Ulka pump.It reaches pressure quickly and holds it,  but its sound is not a smooth continuous buzz...as it reaches pressure it starts to sound like a dying blowfly on the wing.
Is this common or normal? Should I be looking further?What would cause this noting that raising the brew pressure did stop this stutter.

Thanks again.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 3:31am

ColinF Said:

For now the only niggle is this slightly hesitating Ulka pump.It reaches pressure quickly and holds it,  but its sound is not a smooth continuous buzz...as it reaches pressure it starts to sound like a dying blowfly on the wing.
Is this common or normal? Should I be looking further?What would cause this noting that raising the brew pressure did stop this stutter.

Thanks again.

Posted August 12, 2013 link

Well you have certainly learnt a lot about your own machine...best way.

Remember your machine regulates pressure using the expansion valve (OPV), a simple spring loaded valve. When that valve is shut very tightly, little if any excess water/pressure can escape through it....when it's adjusted for lower pressure e.g. 9 bar, a lot more water can run through it. It's quite likely you are simply hearing the effects of that pressure relief process on the operation of the pump. The pump being new, might have a stronger flow rate and a more obvious sound when this "regulation" is happening. You might think....ah I'll test this, by tightening it up so much that no water flows out under a blind filter....well I wouldn't do that. Part of it's function is also to relieve excess hydraulic pressure caused by water expansion during heating (specifically in the brew circuit), tighten it up too far and the water expansion pressure might be able to reach some quite impressive levels, orders of magnitude more than the pump is capable of and you risk damaging your machine. Especially if the HX units metal is a bit thin after many many years of use.

Note:, now I probably would do it, but I would disconnect the heating element first. <lol>
ColinF

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:12pm

It seems my problems are not over yet.

Yesterday after using the hot water wand,  I noticed the normal pump noise for 10 seconds or so then that stopped and a loud  electrical type of buzzing began.
Very uneven, like a faulty electrical connection or a relay chattering off and on with the red heating indicator light going on and off at the same time.

After turning the water wand back on and off, waiting for 30 secs or so I turned the machine off and then back on.The buzzing had stabilized somewhat but was still coming on every 4-5 seconds for a few seconds.
This is definitely not the sound of the pump.
Its a noise that has never been a part of the machines normal operating sounds.

I turned it off.

This morning I turned on the machine again and this time there were no lights,  no sound of the pump filling topping up the boiler...nothing.
I checked the plug connections and external circuit breakers.
After having switched the machine on and off perhaps 10 times, the lights come on but its making the same loud buzzing relay chattering noise it was doing yesterday.
I turned it off.

Is this something I can troubleshoot further myself? You can understand I'm very reluctant to let the previous technicians anywhere near it.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Colin.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 10:35pm

This is a nightmare...

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 7:29pm

ColinF Said:

It seems my problems are not over yet.

Yesterday after using the hot water wand,  I noticed the normal pump noise for 10 seconds or so then that stopped and a loud  electrical type of buzzing began.
Very uneven, like a faulty electrical connection or a relay chattering off and on with the red heating indicator light going on and off at the same time.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Colin.

Posted August 23, 2013 link

Where is the buzzing coming from, is it the Autofill solenoid, or from the Gicar/Giemmie box?

You could also see if you can borrow a Gicar box from someone and just see if yours is indeed faulty.
ColinF

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 11:34pm

I took the outer case off to listen to where the buzzing was coming from and the machine quietly got on with exactly what its was meant to do.
The lights came on and it heated up normally.
I ran some water through the portafilter and the water wand and everything was just fine.....??

I turned it off while I looked around for something obvious and big enough to catch my attention and no wiser switched it back on again.
This time nothing happened, no pump coming to life, no heating red light.
Flicked it on and off several times but no change.This is what happened the other day..... but back then it came suddenly back to life and made all the strange buzzing noises.

After quite a long time, a dim light comes on internally.
The plastic water tank and its stainless support had been sitting side by side on the table so I could see better into the inids of the machine while buzzing noises might happen.
Side by side...not together with the float sensor and the float sensor switch aligned as they are when everything is assembled.

Bingo.As soon as I put the 2 of them back together the bright green and red lights come back on and everything began working as you'd hope it would after getting it back from a skilled technician!

To check further, I then removed the float sensor plastic capsule from the water tank with its magnet inside and prised it open.
Half of the magnet had corroded away just like someone had eaten half a Vitamin C tab.The bottom of the capsule was filled with the damp mostly dissolved sludge of half a magnet.

To me, a largely illiterate electrical person beyond on-off stuff,  I figured that if this magnetic switch was only operating now and then and sometimes not at all and sometimes yesno yesno as if it couldn't make up its mind....this could manifest in symptoms like I've been having.

Now without replacing the magnet or the whole float capsule I'm feeling quite excited like I'm down to the last few clues in the crossword hehe.

This could explain many of the symptoms right from the beginning of this long story no?

I'll seek a new float or replacement neodymium magnet tomorrow and see where it takes me.

Does this make sense?
Is it possible I have had a major service done by some local cowboys when I may have just needed a new float magnet?

I thought getting a good espresso machine was all about being able to experience the complexities of better coffee brewing.....but there's SO much more.....
DavecUK

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 10:33am

ColinF Said:

Does this make sense?
Is it possible I have had a major service done by some local cowboys when I may have just needed a new float magnet?

I thought getting a good espresso machine was all about being able to experience the complexities of better coffee brewing.....but there's SO much more.....

Posted August 24, 2013 link

Yes, it does make sense. I am not sure if the float itself is available as a part, or whether you have to buy the whole tank. I also think you might be able to make a float if necessary.
ColinF

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 3:41am

Well to anyone who's been following this story I think the final solution has been the discovery of the partly dissolved magnet in the float switch canister.
A whole new canister and magnet was going to take too long to arrive so I just bought a $10 neodymium magnet of the right size and epoxied it into the bottom of the old canister and sealed everything up.
Everything has been working faultlessly for several days now.

Thanks for the help and I hope this solution helps others avoid a similar long way round.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quickmill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40952706337)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+