Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help talk myself into replacing a Capresso EC100
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help talk myself...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 10:47am
Subject: Help talk myself into replacing a Capresso EC100

Heres the deal. I have a refurbished Cpresso EC100 that actually did work quite well, for all of 4 months. I am considering repairing it(possible pump failure), but I also don't want to put a dress on a pig.

I am looking at buying a used SBDU which is WORTH fixing and starting over. The choices I am looking at are Starbucks Barista SIN006, Gaggia Classic, Gaggia Evolution and a La Pavoni Caffe Portofino(which will need a portafilter and drip tray). They are all in the same price range, and supposedly working well. I have no issues with fixing a worthwhile machine myself. I am handy with tools and enjoy projects. I just want to have something solid, which will last for many years with proper maintenance.

I am thinking the Classic is probably the best choice, but does anyone have any experience with the Evolution? Any other recommendations?

I have also found a 'Baby' Wega, but I can find no info on this model except for some decent reviews. Anyone know anything about this machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:21am
Subject: Re: Help talk myself into replacing a Capresso EC100

Now that I understand that the Capresso is thermoblock I see an opportunity to "upgrade" to SBDU. I like the Classic.  The Evolution does not have OPV or 3 way so would not be a great purchase unless enough price difference to make it worthwhile.  The Classic is a good "starter" machine but I see where many used them for 10+ years.  If you are going to buy a machine it is time to really look at your needs and buy something that is not a 1 year transition.  Clsssic works for me.  I have not owned the Evo, just looked here.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Gaggias will need, you will want :), a PID and Rancilio wand.  The wand is abut $23 and very easy and the PID is fairly easy DIY for about $75 depending on options.  The PID can wait and will be the same desire on all SBDU.

If you really want meaningful recommendations not just our personal likes, note the prices for comparison.

One other note on the Evo, I see the newer switches and I favor the Classic old style switches for trouble free.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
LowThudd

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:54am

Thanks again!

The Evo is the cheapest of the bunch, at @$100 with a new group seal and steam wand, as well as a bottomless PF. The others are from the $100 up to @$150. I think I'll dismiss the baby Wega, there just aren't any resources available for it, though it looks solid. I also believe I'll skip the experience of the SIN006. While it may be a fine machine, it is not E61 and therefor not in the same league as the Classic. I am tending more that direction anyway, just wanted to get other opinions.

I am still trying to talk myself out of the La Pavoni. From what others with the machine say, it is built like an Italian tank, with all Brass internals. It is hard to find parts for though, and I would have to jury rig a drip tray.
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 12:12pm

LowThudd Said:

I also believe I'll skip the experience of the SIN006. While it may be a fine machine, it is not E61 and therefor not in the same league as the Classic.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

I am not sure that I understand the comment.  The Classic is also not E61, though a solid machine for what it is.

D4F also at
LowThudd

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 12:15pm

D4F Said:

I am not sure that I understand the comment.  The Classic is also not E61, though a solid machine for what it is.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

I guess I remembered wrong. Is the classic a 58mm filter basket?
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 12:25pm

Yes, and that is a good feature as it is fairly standard across many of the better machines.  58 mm, 3 Way, and OPV are all good.

D4F also at
LowThudd

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 8:21pm

I have a line on 2 Gaggia Espresso model machines for $50 each. Seller says they are both working, one is missing the drip tray grid. Best thing is, the guy is only @ 5 miles away. I think I am going for it. Worst case scenario, they only work temporarily and I end up with two portafilters and a bunch of spare parts. lol

Is there something specific I should worry about with this model? I believe most of the innards are the same as the Classic except the 3 way and OPV? At this price, it is pretty tough to pass up.
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:11pm

At 5 mi away I would go to pick them up with the understanding that I would like to see both turn on and pump water through the group.   If they turn on and start heating, and the lights turn on appropriately for the switches, and not leak, I would take both at $50 each.

I believe that you mean this.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Espresso-Espresso%20Deluxe.pdf

or this

http://www.partsguru.com/user/ER0003-01.pdf

The Deluxe has what looks like a brass PF with the screw on spout and seems a newer machine.  The older one may have a non-brass PF and no screw on spout and that is not as good.  Still worth $50 if working.  After run, look for any leaks internal, just takes a few minutes to remove a top and look.

D4F also at
LowThudd

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:12pm

So it appears, in looking at the two diagrams: Classic Click Here (www.partsguru.com) and Espresso http://www.partsguru.com/user/Espresso-Espresso%20Deluxe.pdf , that the main difference is the Solinoid valve: Click Here (shop.partsguru.com)

Can someone explain exactly what this solenoid does, and why it is better? Thanks
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:16pm

Not Gaggia but same concept.

It relieves pressure from the group and discharges to the waste when you switch off brew in the most simple term.

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/3way/intro.html

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help talk myself...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.391632795334)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+