Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 56 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:03am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

Since I obviously dont know much about the internal parts,can someone point out the vacuum breaker?

Posted July 23, 2013 link

In your picture it is the top-left corner. Hexagonal fitting with a little brass prong sticking up.
Any low pressure inside the boiler allows that prong to fall to that low position and air can go into the boiler around it.
When the boiler pressure is high, the air tries to flow out past that prong, forcing the prong up. The o-ring on the inside of the valve seals under the cap because the prong brings it up. Now the pressure is sealed inside the boiler.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 6:33am

Wow, if the worry and nit picking has already started just wait until so many first espresso machine buyers get this in their homes, then it will really start up. Seriously, it is a big expense and I must have been in touch with NS a dozen times and Chris' a dozen times when I first got my Oscar plus a ton of posts here with concerns, it is only natural. I thought when I got my Duetto I would be fine, I wasn't, I was in touch with Jason, my goto tech at Chris', many times the first week.

I am a bit jealous of everyone getting this machine, not enough to take the loss on selling my Duetto to jump on this intro price but real close.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 7:50am

I think most of us understand the "first rev bugs" that may accompany a new model such as this. I mean how many "mk" iterations has the Duetto gone through? R58 is already on v2? And even the "Rolls Royce" model LM GS3 has had quiet "under the hood changes" during the time it has been released. It's the nature of the game, you make the best possible machine you can at the time you release it, and no matter how well your company and your small group of testers like Chris, Dave and others do their job, it won't be until it's in a lot of peoples' hands, in every day use, that some quirks or bugs may surface. You then fix and, if necessary, modify future builds to keep those from occurring. Meanwhile for current owners, that's what their warranty is for. Which is why whenever I do a big purchase like this, I go to an authorized dealer with a stellar reputation like CCS. They've been great during the pre-order process and I have no doubts that they'll be great after the V2B is sitting in my kitchen. If anything odd should arise (like it has for the Dream machines) they have a great track record of taking care of their customers.
Mort108
Mort108

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 7:52am

DavecUK...is your Duetto the new 3.0??
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 8:06am

DavecUK,

Sorry it's early morning in California so I'm a bit dyslexic right now. You wrote, in response to another person's post

Will I get the easy-drain boiler setups? In order of probability....non, US version and most unlikely, the UK version I specified

I think in the CCS video, Mary showed that the US is getting the easy drain boiler. Their pre-production model had it, so I'm going to assume that their production model will as well. Is that what you meant in your post about the order of probability and the US version?

Some other questions for Dave, and anyone else knowledgeable:
  • Does the easy-drain boiler help in descaling? When you descale should the boiler be drained through those holes rather than through the brew group like I currently do for my Silvia?
  • For those who will be using the water tank should we invest in a water softening filter? I plan to use local (L.A.) bottled water where the company has published the PPM of the minerals online and using test strips to confirm its softness, but should I install a water softener in addition to that? Will it increase the life of the machine?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:14am

CarloM Said:

Some other questions for Dave, and anyone else knowledgeable:
Does the easy-drain boiler help in descaling? When you descale should the boiler be drained through those holes rather than through the brew group like I currently do for my Silvia?
For those who will be using the water tank should we invest in a water softening filter? I plan to use local (L.A.) bottled water where the company has published the PPM of the minerals online and using test strips to confirm its softness, but should I install a water softener in addition to that? Will it increase the life of the machine?

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Not Dave and my answer will not be as good as his.

Yes descaling should happen those these drain plugs. The steam boiler is where scale is going to occur at 255f+ temps. Scale mostly occurs above the water line so overfilling the boiler is preferable. The brew boiler at 205f or less is going to take a lot longer to have any scale and that will be noticed when taking the E-61 group apart for maintenance so those parts can be cleaned proper off the machine and the brew boiler descaled and drained from the plug. A hell of a lot easier this way then pumping solution through everything and then flushing to get rid of it all.

I was always planing on filtering my water and using a softener cartridge to eliminate minerals but I had a mental shut down on this. I was not happy with the end results of using a softener, minerals needed to be added back to get things to taste proper to me, so I have not found the solution I want to use for plumbing in my Duetto. However by softening your water below scale levels does mean you won't have to worry about descaling your machine.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:22am

germantownrob Said:

I was not happy with the end results of using a softener, minerals needed to be added back to get things to taste proper to me, so I have not found the solution I want to use for plumbing in my Duetto. However by softening your water below scale levels does mean you won't have to worry about descaling your machine.

In my area there is a bottled water company that has distilled water that has minerals added back for taste. This is the water I am currently using. The taste is good and it has a very low hardness.... something like 12 PPM. Maybe this is an option for those that have water quality issues. I think I am paying $6.45 for a 5 gallon bottle delivered to my door. They deliver every 2 weeks, so it is convenient for me (if I remember to set my empties out).
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:35am

john_ertw Said:

I would be extremly interested in this machine.  My main constraint right now is machine height (I can fit a machine no taller than 15") and I was able to make my current Vetrano (HX) fit by removing the adjustable part of the feet (this is a reversible modification by simply screwing back the adjustable part of the feet).  From what I have seen the only dual boiler that fits is the Vivaldi, but I'm not sold on it's looks.  I will jump on the first dual boiler machine that fits, is priced in the range of E-61 dual boilers and I like the looks of.

The dual use (tank & plumb in) may not make it to  the north american market if this machine gets here.  The regular Vetrano is only plumb in here, but is dual use on Quickmill's site.

Posted March 27, 2013 link

It is already here for preorder on Chris coffee website
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:36am

DeanOK Said:

In my area there is a bottled water company that has distilled water that has minerals added back for taste. This is the water I am currently using. The taste is good and it has a very low hardness.... something like 12 PPM. Maybe this is an option for those that have water quality issues. I think I am paying $6.45 for a 5 gallon bottle delivered to my door. They deliver every 2 weeks, so it is convenient for me (if I remember to set my empties out).

According to CCS the water hardness should be below 3 ppm
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:05am

cuznvin Said:

According to CCS the water hardness should be below 3 ppm

Wow! That is really low. I think there was a number being thrown out in a thread a few weeks ago that anything below 50 PPM was ok. I think you just as well say distilled water if 3 PPM or less is the goal. If I remember correctly my municipal water runs 150-200.
showing page 56 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440020799637)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+