Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 234 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 12:54pm
Subject: New machine

That sounds like a nice machine, I wonder what (or if) the US model would sport as specs.

User descaling is appreciated here, we have hard (but otherwise good) water.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 6:11am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

occoffeefan Said:

New BES920 announced in Australia from Phil McKnight on the Coffeesnobs forum..  details:

Breville's New BES920 Dual Boiler Debut at Aroma this Sunday (7/21)
Just a heads up for all Snobs heading to Aroma Festival this weekend in Sydney, we'll be debuting our BES920 Dual Boiler. Never seen in public before, this is a significant ugrade to the highly successful BES900. We'll have 2 on display for use by anyone wanting to put it through its paces. Improvements include:

2400W Heating system

7) Higher wattage (2400W)

Posted July 20, 2013 link

I wonder about this spec. I assume that we would have to wire up a 220VAC outlet here stateside (not a show stopper) or a dedicated 20AMP service at 120VAC.

I would be willing to do either, if needed.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
pmf2000

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 7:19am

For those that have this particular machine, are you still enjoying it? How hard do you find it to make latte art?

Tim
LatteDude
LatteDude
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: BES900XL/B (BDB)
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:21am

pmf2000 Said:

For those that have this particular machine, are you still enjoying it? How hard do you find it to make latte art?

Tim

Posted July 22, 2013 link

I love, love, LOVE this machine!  I've had mine about 3 months and came from a Silvia & Rocky combo that I used daily for 5 years.  I find this machine extremely convenient and I get great results that are easy to replicate.  I find the latte art very simple as well.

LatteDude: Latte.jpg
(Click for larger image)
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:24am

I can't really speak to the latte art part, as I only do lattes infrequently. Other than that I can say I love it. Keep it clean, pair it with a capable grinder and it'll make great coffee.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 7:32pm

PrescottCR Said:

I can't really speak to the latte art part, as I only do lattes infrequently. Other than that I can say I love it. Keep it clean, pair it with a capable grinder and it'll make great coffee.

Posted July 22, 2013 link

Ditto!!!

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
theSpaniard

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 5:44am

Speaking of latte art, I'm completely dumbfounded right now by my inability to produce good microfoam.  I've had the machine for over a year and was able to produce good latte art until a few weeks ago. I don't think I've changed my technique, but whatever I'm doing is producing milk with many small bubbles, which is not consistent throughout (foamy on top, thin at the bottom).  Below is a picture of where I'm placing the wand.  My technique has been to place the wand just below the surface and get that slight tearing sound until the milk is warm, then bury the steam wand to create a whirlpool/circular motion.  I cleaned out the holes in the wand, so that to doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm using very cold 2% milk, which has always been able to produce good microfoam.

The other issue is that the mediocre microfoam is really only expanding by 20% or so, so it doesn't seem to be thick enough either. When I try to incorporate more air, I just keep getting more bubbles.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Any videos that might be helpful would be awesome. I've checked out all of the Breville videos on youtube about milk texturing, but I keep getting the same results.

See pic below of where I place the wand (sorry about quality).

theSpaniard: photo 1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Settembrini
Settembrini

Espresso: Breville DB
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: back yard barbecue...
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:49pm

I am getting intermittent problems with the brew button on the BDB.  Some times when I press the two shot button to brew, I just get a buzzing sound.  Then other times it will brew.  I hope this is not an FAQ; I've tried searching the forum on this.  Has anyone encountered this or can shed some light on what is going on?
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 7:19pm

Settembrini Said:

I am getting intermittent problems with the brew button on the BDB.  Some times when I press the two shot button to brew, I just get a buzzing sound.  Then other times it will brew.  I hope this is not an FAQ; I've tried searching the forum on this.  Has anyone encountered this or can shed some light on what is going on?

Posted July 23, 2013 link

im not using the programmable button but i just want to clarify these

1. are you changing grind setting? if yes then perhaps those times that its a buzz it might be too tight
  2. what basket are you using for the programmable? i think those two are meant for the dual wall, i could be wrong if its only for the dual wall
  3. bean age, how frequent are these intermittent problems? coffee age and when they start to age you start chasing them, usually if the coffee is starting to stale there is less resistance and the flow will be fast, if its fresh then there is resistance and creates a tight seal and you dont get a flow unless you grind a bit loose

people here that might be using the programmable buttons can help more as they used it but what i said above is in relation to beans and grind that might affect both programmable buttons and manual buttons and also baskets

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
JayGo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 7:21pm

I have recently received BES900XL /B as a replacement for my 7 months old /A.
It was replaced primarily because of the coffee leaking out from the top of the dual wall portafilter when the dual wall filter was used.
The machine also may had possible leak at the pump, but not sure on that one.

Anyways, I just wanted to post what I had noticed on the differences between /B and /A.

On the newer version, these are the differences I have noticed.
  1. externally, I only noticed one difference.  The drip tray now has water catcher (not sure what to call it, but it is a little square shaped water catcher that catches the water when back flushing) on both of the top ends of the drip tray.  Because of this change in the shape of the drip tray, the tool box became smaller and it no longer slides out along with the drip tray.
  2. The portafilter fits much more tightly.  It is now harder to wiggle the portafilter when cleaning the group head.
  3. I have noticed water residue collecting inside the portafilter after turning the machine on for a little while.  With /A, if you left the machine on for a while with the portafilter attached, it would dry out the portafilter.  However, with /B, the portafilter becomes wet/wetter.
  4. The steam from the steam wand shoots out at wider angle than the /A model (meaning each of the steam streams shoots out further apart from each other than the /A).  I am able to get better microfoam on /B.  Not sure if this is the reason.
  5. The provided milk jug is smaller than /A.

For those of you who had their hands on /B, can you please confirm if #3 is normal?
I like everything about /B except this particular issue.  It may be just my machine.  I tend to think the group head should be dry unless you are actually pulling a shot.  I am not really sure what is causing the moisture to get to the portafilter.
Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
showing page 234 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468444108963)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+