Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help to fix my Proteo Grande - NEW SYMPTOMS!
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help to fix my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dbug
dbug
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 8:29am
Subject: Help to fix my Proteo Grande - NEW SYMPTOMS!

See my latest reply for the new symptoms of this machine.. it does tun on now!

Hi everyone,
I am a total novice at everything espresso (except drinking it!) so please forgive my poor knowledge of terms etc.

I just got an old Proteo Grande from some friends who are moving. They told me it worked but alas, when plugged in and switched on, nothing happens.
I tried filling the water reservoir and putting the portafilter in place (with and without coffee) but none of these things changed the outcome.
The machine has 3 lights on the front, one of which says "OFF ON" so I assume that it should light up when flipped to "on" but it does not. Also, there are no noises when I turn it on either. This leads me to believe that this is not solely an electrical problem.

I took off the cover to see what the inside looks like and it looks identical to what someone else posted in a past topic so I don't think that any wires have come loose.

If anyone has any advice on how to get this machine to turn on and start working, I'd really appreciate it!
here is a picture of my machine, if that helps.

Thanks!

dbug: image (1) (320x239).jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
dbug
dbug

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 9:46am
Subject: Re: Help to fix my Proteo Grande - it won't turn on

UPDATE:

Machine is still not turning on but I noticed that it blew a fuse when I was switching it on and off. Does this mean that it is an electrical problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Thanks!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:39am

Is the fuse the one in the house that goes to the wall? or is it a fuse inside the machine?
Either way, yes it sounds like a dead short, possibly a burned out heating element inside the boiler. If the machine is run without enough water in the boiler, the heater gets too hot and melts, this would then cause the electric to go through the water and to the chasis of the machine, a short. The house circuit breaker will trip or the GFI will trip if you have one.

If this is the cause, the only fix is to take the machine apart and replace the heater.

Anyway, that is my $0.02 worth.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dbug
dbug

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:45am

hey there,
It was the house fuse. I went to the circuit break and saw that it tripped the fuse for all the outlets in my kitchen....
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into replacing the heater
dbug
dbug

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:51am
Subject: Re: Help to fix my Proteo Grande - NEW SYMPTOMS!

ok folks,
after a bit of research, I decided to try plugging in my machine to an outlet in another part of the house. This proved fruitful!

The "on" light lit up and the machine started to heat up. Then the green "ready" light came on so I tried out the steam wand which worked! yay!

now for the problem: I first tried to run the machine with no coffee, just an empty portafilter (was that a bad idea??)
  1. I flipped the brew switch and the machine made a lot of noise but only a couple of drops of water came out through the portafilter.
  2. I unscrewed the metal disk (filter-like) piece of the group head and cleaned it. Then I tried running the brew function again (still no coffee) this only produced a few drops of water like the first try.
  3. I added coffee, thinking that it is not meant to work without a full portafilter. This produced no drops of water or coffee but created a burnt coffee smell. When I emptied the portafilter after this attempt, the grounds were dry and hot.

I'm guessing that there is some kind of blockage that is not allowing water to properly flow through the machine and into the group head. Would a thorough cleaning fix the problem? I know there are a lot of professional cleaning products out there but are there good at-home cleaning options that use typical household products?
Any suggestions other than cleaning? Should I attempt to remove the hose and clean them separately?  
Anything at all will be helpful! Thanks!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 4:22pm

dbug Said:

ok folks,
I flipped the brew switch and the machine made a lot of noise but only a couple of drops of water came out

Posted July 22, 2013 link

Noisy pump with no flow could be as simple as needing to reprime the pump. With the steam valve open does your pump move any water?

But back to the problem of tripping the GFCI breaker in the kitchen. It certainly has a short somewhere.  If it trips when the only thing on is the element, I suspect the element.

Do you have a multi-meter?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 9:10pm

With my Proteo Grande (white model too - small world!) I opened the steam knob turning it all the way till it would not go further (did not force it though) and then turned the machine on - before letting it heat an empty boiler, I immediately flipped the espresso switch - the pump sounded awful for a moment and then the sound smoothed out - a few moments later water began flowing from the steam wand into a pre-placed cup.

This process is called priming (filling) the boiler with water. After closing the steam wand I flipped the espresso switch and water flowed out of the shower head. Then I let the machine heat completely and pulled a shot. Good luck!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dbug
dbug

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 11:01am

hey Stones & Eric!
thanks for replying. I got ambitious last night and decided to change the gasket since it looked worn out. Sadly, I overestimated my local Lowes... I had no idea these parts were so specific to each machine! So now I'm looking for a replacement gasket before I can proceed.
Any idea where to order on online? I called a espresso machine repair shop in my area and they hadn't even heard of the machine! But they said they'd try to find out what size gasket it takes and order it for me.
yikes....
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 12:31pm

Click Here (www.coffeecrew.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help to fix my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438586950302)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+