Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dal Tio Luna: any info?
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dal Tio Luna:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 10:49pm
Subject: Dal Tio Luna: any info?

I just got a pod version of the Dal Tio Luna (http://www.daltio.com/prod_luna.htm).  Was curious how a CMA company would make a home machine.  Now that I've had a good look, does anyone know where to get a parts diagram and perhaps the name of a supplier as the machine is missing plastic bits and a portafilter.

For those that are curious, the specs are

brass boiler, smaller than a Silvia boiler
  3 button thermostats mounted on top of boiler
  looks like a IMAT group head but it has an o-ring instead of a gasket (specific to the pod version?)
  small showerscreen (obviously for pods) with no shower screen holder
  4 horizontal water jets above the shower screen (good water distribution?)
  pea valve (nicer than gaggia's) instead of a 3-way valve
  buttons for 1/2/3 shots controlled by a flowmeter!
  a "M" button that is a mystery to me.
 View Profile Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2006, 9:07pm
Subject: Re: Dal Tio Luna: any info?

Update: found the parts diagram for the LeLit machine on their web site. (Hint: read Italian)  I'm 95% sure that the pod version of the Dal-Tio Luna uses the pod version of the IMAT group (like the LeLit PL040) and it follows that the ground version uses the regular IMAT group/boiler like many other machines.  Oh well, except for the flow meter and associated electronics, a pretty box with nothing exciting inside.

BTW the IMAT machines may be more pid friendly than the more expensive machines.  A small group forming the bottom of the boiler reacts to the boiler-water temperature faster than an offset head (Rancilio Silvia) or machines with heavier heads (Silvia, Gaggia, E61s).  Since the pid is controlling the water temperature, you should get more thermal stability when the group is more responsive the the boiler temperature.  (Of course other factors are important such as boiler size and cold water inflow.)  

Coffee_no_sugar
billherbst
billherbst

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Ascaso iMini
Vac Pot: Melior French Press
Drip: Melitta Cone
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Poppery II
Posted Sat Dec 9, 2006, 6:50am

coffee_no_sugar Said:

...the IMAT machines may be more pid friendly than the more expensive machines.  A small group forming the bottom of the boiler reacts to the boiler-water temperature faster than an offset head (Rancilio Silvia) or machines with heavier heads (Silvia, Gaggia, E61s).  Since the pid is controlling the water temperature, you should get more thermal stability when the group is more responsive the the boiler temperature.

Posted December 8, 2006 link

I have a Le'Lit PL041, bought used for half-price on eBay from a very friendly coffeegeek. I looked for one because it was lighter, smaller, and less finicky than a Silvia (I also drive a used Saab rather than a new BMW). The Le'Lit heats up quickly and is ready to pull a shot in five minutes, largely because of the factors you mentioned---bottom of boiler group position, lighter internals and head than the commercial components on the Silvia, yet the same 10 oz. boiler.

Given that PIDing Silvias is all the rage now, I've been curious about how much the Le'Lit might benefit from a PID. I haven't done any water temperature testing, but after 2-3 doubles per day for five months, this little machine is surprisingly stable. The thermostat/boiler combo seems very quick and responsive. Results in the cup are so consistent that I've given up temp surfing altogether and pay no attention to boiler cycling. I might be wrong about that, but it sure makes pulling shots simple.

For me, the Le'Lit makes very tasty espresso with lovely guiness effects, ample crema, and no sour shots ever. As for mouthfeel and intensity of flavors, I don't have an e61 or HX machine around to compare, but I'll put up my home brewed espresso against any coffee house cups I've ever sampled.

I don't know about using pre-ground pods, but my experience may be testimony to the prevailing wisdom that even lower-end machines (I'm thinking Le'Lit, Solis SL, Gaggia Carezza, etc.) can produce good espresso with fresh, home-roasted, high-quality beans, an adequate grinder, and a little practice at barista skills.

I may eventually pop for a PID kit just for fun, but for now I'm quite happy.

By the way, the group and wand on the Dal-Tio Luna do indeed look identical to my Le'Lit. Probably the same IMAT guts.

--Bill
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2006, 10:22pm

billherbst Said:

I have a Le'Lit PL041, bought used for half-price on eBay from a very friendly coffeegeek. I looked for one because it was lighter, smaller, and less finicky than a Silvia (I also drive a used Saab rather than a new BMW). The Le'Lit heats up quickly and is ready to pull a shot in five minutes, largely because of the factors you mentioned---bottom of boiler group position, lighter internals and head than the commercial components on the Silvia, yet the same 10 oz. boiler.

Given that PIDing Silvias is all the rage now, I've been curious about how much the Le'Lit might benefit from a PID. I haven't done any water temperature testing, but after 2-3 doubles per day for five months, this little machine is surprisingly stable. The thermostat/boiler combo seems very quick and responsive. Results in the cup are so consistent that I've given up temp surfing altogether and pay no attention to boiler cycling. I might be wrong about that, but it sure makes pulling shots simple.

Posted December 9, 2006 link

I've never pulled a shot from a Le'Lit/IMAT/Nemox/Quaha/Mokia machine nor have I seen any temperature testing.  However, Alan Frew thinks they produce good shots so a PID may be a geeky option.  

My current machine has a pretty good thermostat and a nice sized group (> Gaggia).  I've noticed that a shot after 5 minutes of warm up and heating flush is great and at 30 minutes the shot is too hot.  I could lower the thermostat but I would rather get a good shot at 5 minutes than wait 30 minutes.  Anyways that observation suggests that a small group would work well with a PID.

billherbst Said:

For me, the Le'Lit makes very tasty espresso with lovely guiness effects, ample crema, and no sour shots ever. As for mouthfeel and intensity of flavors, I don't have an e61 or HX machine around to compare, but I'll put up my home brewed espresso against any coffee house cups I've ever sampled.  

The Le'Lit is a good machine.  My only reason to say the Dal Tio was not interesting is that the IMAT group has been around since the 80s and has been used by several companies.  I was hoping that Dal Tio had done something new given its connections with CMA.  The brewing system was not new but I was suprised by the flowmeter and associated eletronics.  Usually don't see such things on a home machine.

billherbst Said:

I don't know about using pre-ground pods, but my experience may be testimony to the prevailing wisdom that even lower-end machines (I'm thinking Le'Lit, Solis SL, Gaggia Carezza, etc.) can produce good espresso with fresh, home-roasted, high-quality beans, an adequate grinder, and a little practice at barista skills.

Actually never tried a pod and don't plan on it.  The only reason I bought this pod machine was that it was $25 plus shipping.  Curious about Dal Tio and had some Frankenstein plans which probably won't work.

billherbst Said:

I may eventually pop for a PID kit just for fun, but for now I'm quite happy.

By the way, the group and wand on the Dal-Tio Luna do indeed look identical to my Le'Lit. Probably the same IMAT guts.

--Bill

Yes, probably the same IMAT guts but pod vs ground coffee.  Beginning to think that converting the machine to ground coffee will require a new lower half of the boiler.

Coffee_no_sugar
art2111

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:31pm

Hi, I've got a pod version of Daltio Luna and wondering if it could be converted to the regular.
The portafilter of the machine has an aluminum insert retained with a spring  instead of a basket. It seems to be 58 mm portafilter.
Could it be replaced with a 58 mm basket?

art2111: DSC02134.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Pepso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 4:13pm

To me it seems like this machine is similar to the CMA Luna. I just got this machine used from eBay. And yes, there is a conversion kit:

Click Here (www.ies-shop.de)

I bet the service of this shop can tell if this works for your machine.

Greetings from Germany
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dal Tio Luna:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426521062851)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+