Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Looking for advice on new machine.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:48am
Subject: Re: Looking for advice on new machine.

It seems to me that freezer comment was made in innocence about space for big chest freezers in EU and not as a slam on EU unlike the replies have been to the USA.   I also thought that he might be correct that most EU homes don't have the square footage for chest freezers that many american homes have.  I personally own 2 full size fridges and one very large chest freezer, my mother has the same set up.   I doubt most people have that much storage in a middle class house hold.  I also have 2 full sized stoves in my garage and another washer and dryer but that has to do more with the house having appliances I already owned than food storage.

You are treading very close to personal attacks and I will suggest you refrain from them.  You are right, just get your nespresso and don't troll for flames.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 2:03pm

If you're 39 years old and as cosmopolitan as you say then you should know better than to try and start a culture war on a forum where people are trying to give you guidance. 39 year olds don't guffaw when they illicit angry reactions in communicating with other adults. If you're going to act like an angry teenager on 4chan, then I suggest you lurkmoar before posting--you might actually learn something. The fact that people here are still being civil to you is a testament to how patient and dynamic this community is. Congratulations, you got a reaction!

To everyone else, this guy is objectively a troll. I suggest we voluntarily end this thread and leave Tao to his pods and his bigotry. Making comments like that about people's nationalities--whatever their nationality--are far beneath our standards for conduct and the rules which Mark has laid out for us to have a civil discourse.
 View Profile Link to this post
taomacuzuh

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:57pm

Oke so it is oke to think that europeans live in the dark ages without freezers and you call me simple witted.
Very interesting.

I never said i am a cosmopolitan but i say that i travelled. I have been in most of europe, USA, Canda, Hong Kong, China so I have seen a bit of the world.
Also in europe some people have have big freezers in their basement, or garage or shed.  I lived in places where cars like porsches and bentleys are common on the street I have lived in placed where people don't even have a fridge or not even have windows in there house (they have just a big whole in the wall) and when it is 4 degree outside (Celsius that is) in the winter the people live in that house.  I have seen the highs and the lows, I even have been homeless for a short while but now not anymore (obviously).  

I personally don't need all the fancy equipment because I make all my food from scratch with fresh ingredients (well except for my coffee apparently, which is not fresh at all according to most here).  I live very minimalistic.  When I go home my kitchen equipment will be a stove and a fridge, a kettle and a wok.   And that is all.  Oke I like to have the Espresso machine too, but I can live without it too if I have to.  I don't own a tv, just a couch and a bed and a small laptop.

All I want is just a espresso machine that is not to expensive which makes reasonable good quality cappuccino.  Wether it is  Nespresso or Gaggia Classic with ESE pads, for me that will be plenty enough.  Also if you own espresso machine you can do a lot worse then a nespresso (thats why people buy nespressos in the first place, even people that pre owned a professional espresso machine do this sometimes).

But I gues even people in the land of the free are againt the freedom of speech.  LOL.
Land of the free. lmfao.
MacDonaldbunn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:04pm

I have a bunn es1a machine I dont have a home for now .........good machine...made in Barcelona, Spain........nick m.
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:23pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

It seems to me that freezer comment was made in innocence about space for big chest freezers in EU and not as a slam on EU unlike the replies have been to the USA.  

Posted July 21, 2013 link

D@mnit Helen, here I thought id made a joke about the whole freezer thing, bashing nobody, and then you write replies. In plural. If it did seem like US bashing, my apologies, I was just pretty surprised and well, took the opertunity to make a joke...

I hope thats cleared up, if that was how you read my post.

Edit: I had my wife read it around when I posted, she didnt notice anything either, so... I really hope that comment didnt include me...
-Sune
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:49am

I was not talking about jokes, I was talking about flamers that show up and are showing their true colors with even more trolling posts.  They will not be getting anymore help from me.  I think you are safe from my scary wrath.  :)

Coffeenoobie

Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:29am

EndTwo Said:

Yeah... we live in caves and are afraid of fire to... Gasoline and food is expensive to, but since none of os have cars or stomachs, that doesnt really matter either... Seriously? You are sincerely serious?
Im baffled. Truely shocked.

Coffeenoobie Said:

It seems to me that freezer comment was made in innocence about space for big chest freezers in EU

I frankly do not know what the spleen is all about.  The comment was not made in innocence, if that implies ignorance, but with knowledge and living overseas in many multiple locations.  I have no interest in defending myself by listing dozens of conversations and observations in Europe and elsewhere that I believe would interest nobody, including myself anymore.  I will offer in defense of my statement the following link to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing and if your opinion is that Wikipedia is a disseminator of lies and half-truths then you can go on and continue believing that I am out of my mind.  I will admit that my experiences are biased by urban living in European capitols and the space issue raised by Coffeenoobie (always appreciate her insights) probably colored my perceptions.  I admit that I have no residence experience on European farms and country estates, or even in large suburban houses, where freezers might possibly abound.  Shopping for quality fresh provisions is much easier in Europe than anyplace in the US with the possible exception of NYC (there are exceptions -excuse me for painting in broad strokes here); I am not offering this up as a sop to my critic, but I am saying that there is a different sensibility possible in the way one lives ones life that makes a freezer superfluous.  This includes coffee.  Taomacuzuh is not alone.  Americans have been looking for a way to ameliorate the ridiculous shipping costs that seem to affect the cost-for-size of a pound of roast coffee more acutely than other mail-order items.  This forum is full of such discussion.  Home freezing a large quantity of roast beans is an expensive gamble.  One person's success story is another's tale of spoilage.  Learning to roast one's own green beans is a very viable option; it works for me, anyway, and if I can do it, so can anyone.  There are no storage issues and costs are less, unless you foul up a big batch, which beginners should not be attempting, in the first place.  The quality will hardly be as good as the legendary roasters but, surprisingly, my results have been more delicious to me than half of what I have ordered by mail, even always getting freshly roasted.  Admit it: most of us diminish the value of a good portion of those expensive quality roasts that we buy through our inexperience (oops - I'd better say 'our experimentation') and 'dialing it in'.  Unless the economy significantly improves, home roasting may be like cloud computing: slow to catch on but the inexorable wave of the future, the only viable option, like it or not. (If you do not agree with this, fine.  Just wait 4 or 5 years before posting your rebuttal).

Buckley
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:36pm

I used the word "innocence" to mean both lack of malice and possible lack of knowledge.  I see now the 2nd was not needed but I had no idea at the time.  My understanding of EU kitchens is informed solely by British TV in general and British cooking shows in particular.  

They show tiny under counter fridges that would drive me crazy as I am spoiled by having all the cold storage I could want.  As well as 2 rooms in my garage that are set up for large scale can storage for the harvest of veggies and jams etc.   I live on 2 acres with fruit trees and berries.   I know most people do not half the long term storage options I have.  My garage is as large as my house.  In fact with all my appliances, rooms and a working sink and toilet in there I would just need a shower to set up another house hold.  I liked the land and the garage better than the house..... but we are slowly getting the house where I want it.

I would like to roast maybe one day in the distant future.  But I feel since I have no sense of smell I would be at a disadvantage.

Coffeenoobie

taomacuzuh

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:22pm

Oke so I apologize to anyone who I may have offended or pissed of.  Sometimes I get carried away a little bit.
I hope we can all be friends again.
taomacuzuh

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:51pm

So as I understand so far the best thing for me would be to buy the fresh green coffee beans right from the field and roast them at my own home and after roasting them grind them as soon as possible.

I can understand all this, it is just that I don't want to spend so much money and effort in it for a cup of coffee.  I can understand many people want to do this to try to get the perfect espresso or cappuccino.  I can understand but I am, not at this level (yet).

So what would be the best for me (i am mainly interested in cappuccino)?
Nespresso machine with cups? (I have experience with this I am happy with the results)
Gaggia Carezza or Classic with E.S.E. pads. (i don't have experience with this but seems like a nespresso kind of solution but you can choose many coffees)
Gaggia Carezza or Classic with fresh grind coffee beans which I buy at the coffee bean shop (they grind it for me with professional machine so they can have the perfect grind settings for my machine).

As far as the machines go I decided a Gaggia Carezza or Classic would be the one to go for since they are the only affordable machine for me, A Rancillio silvia is almost twice as expensive here as a Gaggia classic (269 euro for a Gaggia classic vs 499 euro for a rancillio silvia).

A Gaggia Carezza is the cheapest one (229 euro) but it has a more plastic body and does not have the 3 way valve to get rid of the excess water as the classic does. I guess both machines make an excelllent cofee.  The carezza has a pressurized portafilter and the Classic does not, except when you use the E.S.E. pads then u need an extra portafilter option to pressurize the pads.

Actually a Nespresso machine would be even cheaper 199 euro for nespresso machine with milk frother but you can choose only 16 different flavours of nespresso (and only a few are really good) where you can choose hundreds of different E.S.E. pads).
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430539131165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+