Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 51 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SylvainMtl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

The r58 is $550 more! I like the boiler lights.

Posted July 21, 2013 link

Actually not to me!  I'm in Canada, I've found the R58 at 2600$ CAD.   The 2B will come about that or a bit more with shipping, CAD taxes,  xchange rate ...

I'd say though the Vetrano with the joysticks look pretty good.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:54pm

SylvainMtl Said:

Actually not to me!  I'm in Canada, I've found the R58 at 2600$ CAD.   The 2B will come about that or a bit more with shipping, CAD taxes,  xchange rate ...

I'd say though the Vetrano with the joysticks look pretty good.

Maybe you should buy the R58 then.. There was no mention of putting joysticks on the vetrano DB.. They do offer it on the HX. NoT sure if CCS is offering to change them out.
SylvainMtl

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:59pm

cuznvin Said:

Maybe you should buy the R58 then.. There was no mention of putting joysticks on the vetrano DB.. They do offer it on the HX. NoT sure if CCS is offering to change them out.

If it was 20 amp, maybe.  I have too many doubts about its performance, and I don't like rotary knobs (except on the Faema Legend :))
cuznvin

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 5:21pm

According to CCS.. As long as the lever knobs fit, they will be an upgrade option...
DavecUK

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:21pm

SylvainMtl Said:

DaveUK, can you confirm the type of safety valve and vacuum breaker used on the Vetrano, are they similar to the the cheaper vacuum breaker like the one in the QM Anita, which I owned for a short time, and which would fail quite often ?

I also do not like all plastic tubing in the Vetrano and the wiring which is looking a bit messy with (zip ties) from the pictures we've seen, but I wasn't expecting such nice workmanship from the R58 just looking at the pictures either, so who knows!!

1. You need to link to an image of the vacuum breaker and safety valve you are referring to....then I can let you know.

2. The wiring is like that because of all the bits and bobs wired up to the rear water carrier plate. Quality is OK, but yes, It could be neater with a bit of a redesign of the switch placement for tanked to plumbed. As for plastic tubing, I'm not sure exactly what you mean.....all "plastic tubing" There is not really any extra compared to other machines, including the R58, it's just not so well hidden inside a bit of metal braid. You are looking at pictures of machines and making value judgements without the required knowledge/data. This is fairly dangerous, I have looked inside both machines (Rocket and Vetrano) and yes, the Rocket is well put together, BUT it's about the design, operation and function of all the components that determines how good the machine is. In fact the tubing in the rocket would be far easier to deal with in respect of maintenance/leaks than you realise!
SylvainMtl

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:50pm

DavecUK Said:

You need to link to an image of the vacuum breaker and safety valve you are referring to....then I can let you know.

The wiring is like that because of all the bits and bobs wired up to the rear water carrier plate. Quality is OK, but yes, It could be neater with a bit of a redesign of the switch placement for tanked to plumbed. As for plastic tubing, I'm not sure exactly what you mean.....all "plastic tubing" There is not really any extra compared to other machines, including the R58, it's just not so well hidden inside a bit of metal braid. You are looking at pictures of machines and making value judgements without the required knowledge/data. This is fairly dangerous, I have looked inside both machines (Rocket and Vetrano) and yes, the Rocket is well put together, BUT it's about the design, operation and function of all the components that determines how good the machine is. In fact the tubing in the rocket would be far easier to deal with in respect of maintenance/leaks than you realise!

First, I want to thank you for all the insights your are providing.  I've been considering the move to a double boiler for a long time and am on the verge of getting the 2B.  I just need to make sure, that I won't regret.

This is the vacuum breaker valve (first on the left) I was referring, the flat one I had before in another machine would fail every now and then.  

Between the two boilers in the pictures of the Vetrano 2B, is that an OPV (picture on the bottom) like the one in the QM Anita?  It does look like it, if it is, this thing would make noises every few months and need readjusting.  Hopefully it is not.

I'm glad to hear there's not more plastic tubing in the 2B than the other machines.  But regarding my knowledge, I've rebuilt a few machines myself like the one in the picture, but I'd like one fresh from factory for a change!

SylvainMtl: a32.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 4:16am

SylvainMtl Said:

First, I want to thank you for all the insights your are providing.  I've been considering the move to a double boiler for a long time and am on the verge of getting the 2B.  I just need to make sure, that I won't regret.

This is the vacuum breaker valve (first on the left) I was referring, the flat one I had before in another machine would fail every now and then.  

Between the two boilers in the pictures of the Vetrano 2B, is that an OPV (picture on the bottom) like the one in the QM Anita?  It does look like it, if it is, this thing would make noises every few months and need readjusting.  Hopefully it is not.

I'm glad to hear there's not more plastic tubing in the 2B than the other machines.  But regarding my knowledge, I've rebuilt a few machines myself like the one in the picture, but I'd like one fresh from factory for a change!

1. The Vacuum breaker and Safety valve are not the same. they are actually a combined unit made by MA-TER. I like it very much.

2. It is an Expansion Valve (OPV), without this there would be huge problems. It is there to cater for the expansion of water during heating (where tremendous pressures can build up). It is NOT there for brew pressure regulation, as it is used for on Vibe pump machines. It will not make a noise it should not give you any problems and all rotary pumped machines have one and usually one exactly like the one in the picture. Rotary pumps regulate brew pressure directly via a in built balanced bypass. You are worrying about absolutely nothing.
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 5:29am

SylvainMtl Said:

The vacuum breaker on the CC machine is not similar to the one on the left however it has a brass barb with silicone tube connected to it so that i will drain into the drip tray and not sputter droplets inside the machine which could harm the electronics.  

WS
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:03am

CSME9 Said:

The vacuum breaker on the CC machine is similar to the one on the left however it has a brass barb with silicone tube connected to it so that i will drain into the drip tray and not sputter droplets inside the machine which could harm the electronics. The breaker can be taken apart and seal replaced for a few dollars.

WS

Posted July 22, 2013 link

If you are talkking about the vetrano DB, No it is not...it is as described in my previous post.
cuznvin

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:15am

DavecUK Said:

If you are talkking about the vetrano DB, No it is not...it is as described in my previous post.

Posted July 22, 2013 link

Dave..how would you rate the construction of the machine compared to other manufacturers... stainless thickness, drip tray construction, frame quality...
showing page 51 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470682144165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+