Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 50 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 3:50pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Tonyv138 Said:

Perhaps DavecUK can provide a recommendation. Tamper size and best configuration, if that part matters, flat or concave

thanks

Posted July 19, 2013 link

It really depends what you like the look/feel of.....I have been given a few tampers, but the one I was given many years ago and like using best is my Old Reg barber with US Curve and not flat base.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 4:03pm

What are your thoughts on the calibrated tamper?
DavecUK

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 7:34pm

cuznvin Said:

Posted July 20, 2013 link

I've used one of those click tampers before, personally I didn't like it.....but other people might love them.
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 1:30am

cuznvin Said:

I just picked up the Espro for about 1/2 price from the Buy and Sell on this website (53mm, for La SPaziale).  In the mail so I will let you know.  When I searched for info on them , it seemed to me that most liked it, some did not.  I cant see how it would Hurt. I have been using a RB for 10 years and have no idea if I am using anywhere close to 30 lbs.  Same for wife, and for $40.  Hard to pass up.  Not sure I would  have paid full retail since I already own a high end tamper.  Good Luck
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 12:03pm

emil3m Said:

Did you already preorder? If yes, will you be able to write a review?
I know that you love your CC1 and would be very interested to read your perspective in that respect.

I think the Vivaldi II was on your short list at one time. From your posts, I assume you have decided to order a B2. Can you tell me how you made the decision to choose the B2 of the Vivaldi II?

The Vivaldi II has some features I would really like to have, but the looks of the machine does not appeal to me. I also do not like the vibe pump. But I still think it would be a great machine to produce great shots. Two things that pushed me toward the B2 were the looks of the machine and the rotary pumps, both of which are not very good reasons to choose a machine.  I have confidence in E61 and QM. In fact, one of the things that pushed me toward QM was the fact that CCS seems to be eager to support the QM community with parts.

Anyway, just wondering how you were able to push the Vivaldi II off of your short list.
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 3:00pm

DaveUK, can you confirm the type of safety valve and vacuum breaker used on the Vetrano, are they similar to the the cheaper vacuum breaker like the one in the QM Anita, which I owned for a short time, and which would fail quite often ?

I've been able to see an R58 locally this week-end.  Being familiar with commercial machines (I've owned Cimbali and Elektra) I've found the inside of the R58 to be very clean and very well layed out.  There's only copper tubing and you also have to look for the wiring as it is very well dissimulated.  The parts are also good quality, the vacuum braker and safety valves are like found on commercial machines.  The drip trip is not deep, but rather a two-stage one, which I liked very much.  The front panel is reinforced with a powder coated steel panel.  Sadly from all I read the performance of the machine is not what it could be (15 amps only) and the absence of a permanent PID display is a negative too for me.

I also do not like all plastic tubing in the Vetrano and the wiring which is looking a bit messy with (zip ties) from the pictures we've seen, but I wasn't expecting such nice workmanship from the R58 just looking at the pictures either, so who knows!!
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:02pm

SylvainMtl Said:

I also do not like all plastic tubing in the Vetrano and the wiring which is looking like a birds nest from the pictures we've seen, but I wasn't expecting such nice workmanship from the R58 just looking at the pictures either, so who knows!!

Posted July 21, 2013 link

Here is a photo of the 2B that I captured from CCS's video. I see a lot of copper, but there is a little plastic. Don't know for sure what circuits the plastic is in.

I don't consider the wiring to be a birds nest, but possible there is a way to neaten it up a bit.

Sorry for the small image... I kept it as big as I could with reasonable compression to meet the 75K requirement of attachments on this board.

DeanOK: Vetrano_2B_insides_compressed8.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:15pm

Hi DeanOK, I agree, from this angle it is not too bad.  The views from the german video make it look worst.  The discrete switches and lights for the boilers don't help things for sure.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:20pm

SylvainMtl Said:

Hi DeanOK, I agree, from this angle it is not too bad.  The views from the german video make it look worst.  The discrete switches and lights for the boilers don't help things for sure.

The r58 is $550 more! I like the boiler lights.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 4:21pm

SylvainMtl Said:

My biggest complaint is the insulation all of these guys use. I think if your going to insulate them, you should really insulate them. I assume they leave them poorly insulated for the cup warmer to work. Most of these are used at home anyway and turned on every morning. Not sure the cup warmer is all that useful. I would rather have a machine that I could leave on all the time with low operating cost. You can always shoot a little hot water in a cup to warm it up.
showing page 50 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447650194168)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+